Need help with a scope for my VEPR

Hi guys,

I do not have very much experience with scopes nor have done much research yet but I was looking to get something nice for my VEPR .308.

I have a Leopold on my 30-06 but have not used it very much.

I would like to stay in a budget around 600 dollars. I don't really care about name as much as performance. This will be used for target shooting, I do not hunt. Most shooting will be done in the 100 to 300 yard range and probably go no farther than 500 yards.

I do have poor eyesite and should go get contacts or glasses someday..... Will be for daylight shooting do not need night vision etc.

Any suggestions you guys have I would appreciate and I will do some research on them. I am pretty new to the world of scopes.

Leupold 2.5-10, unless you want to go silly with the magnification.

If you want to go silly with magnification, Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44PA with the mildot reticule.

Lots of very good scopes in the <$600 range, but I like Leupold and Vortex. I think those two makers have some of the best value for the money.

I scoped my S-308, and would probably make some changes if I were to do it over again. So I'll offer you some of the benefit of my limited experience.

For example, I wish I had a different reticle that allowed range and bullet drop estimation. Mil-dots, MOA hash marks, or a generic bullet drop compensating reticle would be nice.

Be aware that a lot of scopes could have clearance issues with an AK's rear sight block if mounted low. This necessitates mounting the scope far enough forward that the objective bell sits in front of the RSB, behind the RSB, buying higher rings, buying a shorter scope, or buying a scope with a smaller objective lens.

Also, if you plan on mounting a scope on a beryl rail, you should buy quick-detach rings so you can clean the rifle without having to take your scope off with tools. The rail probably won't flip open far enough to get the dust cover and bolt carrier out if the scope's still on the rail (it'll hit the RSB or gas tube). It sounds like a hassle, but I like the beryl rail more than side rail mounts. It doesn't have shit poking off both sides that dig into my back when I carry it.

Also, I have a 3-9 power, and now I wish I had a little less magnification on the low side.

Granted, I can take the scope off and use my irons or I could buy a separate red dot, but it'd be nice to have one optic that's a practical compromise between short and longer ranges and wouldn't require taking the scope on and off. The 3x isn't very useful up close. The 9x is nice at 100 yards for target shooting (I can see the holes in the paper), but I think I'd sacrifice some of this magnification for shorter-range utility. I think I'd buy something in the 1.5 - 6x range. 6x may be somewhat less ideal than 9x for shooting paper, but would be enough to see and hit what I'm aiming at at realistic ranges (I don't pretend to be some kind of sniper who needs to make 1000 yard head shots). If I need to see the holes in the target, that's what spotting scopes are for.

I considered a 2-7x, but I discovered that the ones I was looking at were actually more like 2.5 - 7ish power. That wasn't enough difference for me to justify the purchase.

Honestly though, if this rifle is going to only be used for 100-500 yard target shooting (and not hunting or waging a guerrilla insurgency), maybe a fixed 10x with mil dots would well work for you. It'd probably be somewhat less expensive and more durable.

Anyway, good luck with your decision.

There's always the Zenit POSP 8x42 mildot or the generally less expensive 8x42 with SVD reticule calibrated in 7.62x54R. Both should be less than $400 and are dependable optics.

Here's a friend's 308 with my 8x42 AK mount

BahikiSaiga.jpg

Z

• Like 1