I'm in the market for a new coyote rifle but i am conflicted on a caliber. Feel free to chime in on which one you like and why. I would also like to hear your opinions on optics ( cheap low end ) and ammo ( brand, grain and type ) for your caliber choice. I will be hunting between 100 and 600 yrds on mostly open plain desert range. Note: Nevada has no restrictions for hunting coyote.

let's hear your 2c.gif

So far as 22-250, the barrel erosion can be horrendous and the barrel may need to be replaced after 500-600 rounds, according to my gunsmith. Lotsa powder, little bullet.

I've also heard this about the 22-250. I believe if i use a heaver bullet like 55-85 gr. and keep the fps in the 3,200-3,500 range I could extend the barrel life to around 4,000 rds before replacing. It's my understanding that the 40 gr. 4,000 fps rounds really burn up the barrel.

I was looking at 2 used 22/250s at my local store. Now hearing this about the barrels im glad I didn't buy one.

What I do like about 22/250 is that, as far as I understand, its the only cal that causes massive hydrophonic (sp?) shock. And has better steal penetration then a 30/06

Here is something to consider. If you like dual roles for your bolt rifles. The 30/06 is a proven man stopper, hunting cal and long distance accuracy. And if you reload there are varmint loads for the 30/06. The 55gr accelerators and 120ish gr light(er) loads.

This one is a bit obscure but the 35 whelen will take any game on this continent and can be easily loaded with 357 mag projectiles

Another question. What do you shoot them for? Is it for fur/meat or are you just blowing them away? I can see you needing a small cal, hunting specific round if you plan to harvest any part of that animal but if you just shoot them as pests why not just use something in a general purpose cal? (if you already have one)

Edited by Arik

Another question. What do you shoot them for? Is it for fur/meat or are you just blowing them away? I can see you needing a small cal, hunting specific round if you plan to harvest any part of that animal but if you just shoot them as pests why not just use something in a general purpose cal? (if you already have one)

I want to shoot them for several reasons:

1) For their pelts. My Remington 700 .300 Win Mag is out of the question.

2) Long range food procurement practice.

3) Cures the hunting itch.

4) Cougar bait. No success yet.

5) Most of all, the bastards are eating all the upland game in my "close to home" hunting area.

I really don't want to waste any animal because of ethics so I want a coyote specific gun. The .243 would be a better general purpose gun though. I'm taking a hard look at the Savage Axis in both calibers for around $ 280 each. I'm not looking for an expensive gun or optics, just something to get the job done.

My Grandfather used a .222 here in Montana, and I use a Remington 700 in .223 for Coyotes. Seems to work great for me and ammo is cheap and readily available with some really good bullets to choose from. That .222 ammo is hard to find anymore around here.

Sorry I have no shooting experience with the 2 calibers you are considering.

Edited by RobRez

I have three 22-250s, with both heavy barrel and sporter barrels. I have only had to replace the barrel on one of them and it had a little over 4000 rounds through it and I wasn't real gentle with it. I have been shooting Prairie Dogs for 10-15 years now and when we shoot PDs we shoot from 150-300 rounds a day for 3-5 days straight. We take 2-3 rifles and when the barrel get's too hot to leave your hand on it for 3-5 seconds then we switch rifles. You can burn out a barrel on any caliber if you keep shooting it when it's hot. My guess is unless you are suddenly overrun by 150 coyotes and you have a belt fed automatic 22-250 you will not burn out the barrel any time soon. I think the 22-250 is an excellent choice for yotes......unless you want to sell the hides. If you are using ballistic tip bullets on the 22-250 it can tear up the hide pretty bad.

• 1 month later...

I can not dis on the 22-250... but I would choose the .243 instead... Much easier to get ammo for, in FAR more flavors... likewise when it comes to reloading... the 6 millimeter / .243 comes in more options than almost any other caliber out there... except maybe the 30-06!!!

It comes in far more rifle configurations as well.

Nothing wrong with a 22-250... but I would go with the .243.

:smoke:

Why not look at a .223 rifle. I got some load books downstairs that list some lighter bullets out to about 3800-3900 fps. Oh yeh, and I also have some ammo I bought that is frangible, that I chrono'd at about 4060 fps. I think it's like a 19gr bullet, will not cycle an AR, but out of my CZ 527, it'll bust some ass. It's from Israel, boxer primed and 1989 dates. I think the load data I have goes all the way down to like 30 something grains, and it's hauling ass. May want to try some varmint grenades. My .02 worth