Muzzle device that is more ear-friendly in emergencies?

I'm looking for a muzzle brake for a Saiga 308 that helps reduce muzzle rise / recoil / flash and also directs much of the blast and sound towards the front. I don't intend to shoot the rifle without ear protection, nosirrrr, but I want something that would not destroy my hearing in case of an emergency situation, when ear protection may not be available. Any ideas for a muzzle device that accomplishes this?

I'm looking for a muzzle brake for a Saiga 308 that helps reduce muzzle rise / recoil / flash and also directs much of the blast and sound towards the front. I don't intend to shoot the rifle without ear protection, nosirrrr, but I want something that would not destroy my hearing in case of an emergency situation, when ear protection may not be available. Any ideas for a muzzle device that accomplishes this?

A "brake" is definitionally going to direct gas and thus noise backwards, that's what makes it a brake. There are flash suppressors that may direct gasses to the sides with less effect on perceived sound that a brake, but a lot of them also make the weapon noticeably louder to the shooter. I'll be the first to admit that I can't hit the broad side of a barn with my Mini-14 with a brake/suppressor unless I have ear protection because the thing makes me flinch; that sharp crack is painful without ear protection. My youngest carried a SAW for a year in Afghanistan and he'll pay for that for the rest of his life with the hearing damage he has from it. The Army is pretty conscientious about ear protection in training from what I can tell, but earplugs or muffs in combat really ain't practical. My S-12 has a King Armory breacher brake and I can tell the difference, but it isn't bothersome.

The only way to achieve some breaking effect and minimize sound to the shooter is to get a brake that directs sound directly left right or up from the barrel, some like the tromix monster brake send the blast in these directions but also are slightly angled towards the shooter, this way achieves the best braking, but is typically loader as the balst is now directed more to you. Really brake and quite aren't typically found in the same sentence.

Just what the Doctor prescribed for hearing protection. As far as Flash, yes it works better than any other flash suppressor, but not really for recoil other than making the front a bit heavier to keep the muzzle down.

photobar_hvt_thd_1470_general.jpg

The Battlecomp BABC is a compensator that very effectively reduces muzzle rise without increasing side blast/noise as much as most brakes/compensators. However, if you don't want your ears to ring after firing a 308 without hearing protection, you will need a silencer.

Thanks for the info, guys. I also just saw that AR15performance.com has some muzzle brakes that are especially made for hunters and for LE where ear protection may not be an option. I'll have to contact them to see if they will work for a 308.

Unless you are already losing you hearing, or the sound will make your eardrums burst, you really shouldn't need to worry about noise in an emergency situation. The noise reducer that nature gave you called Adrenaline will take care of it for you. Personally I have never really noticed the sound of the gunshot while hunting.

After all, besides hunting you will probably and hopefully, never fire the weapon without ear protection, so just keep that in mind before you spend your hard earned money on something you don't actually Need and probably will never come into use anyway. The loud noise will be the least of your worries in an emergency situation!

Just an opinion to throw your way.

Typically, with anything beyond what your ears can handle, it's not all that loud. You don't actually hear it above a certain level, but of course it does do the damage.

For a life or death emergency it's a complete non-consideration, unless you're shooting a machine gun indoors.

Your ears will still be ringing with a silencer unless you go with subsonic ammunition. At least your ears don't keep ringing in a high stress situation, hearing tends to come back quickly unless it's gone for good, lol.

Edited by Tombs