Two questions: How to remove super glue? Also, third stock screw?

Two quick questions:

1) I'm doing final assembly of my conversion and used a little super glue to secure the hole plugs in the old trigger pin holes. They look good, but in the process a little super glue got wiped onto the side of the receiver. What can I use to get super glue off the painted metal without damaging the paint?

2) This is my first conversion; is there a place where you're supposed to use the third buttstock screw from the OEM stock on the underside of the receiver? I see the two locations in the upper tang, but I don't know if there's one that goes on the bottom somewhere.

Some one may have better info. I dont know of anything that would take the super glue off without some how damaging the pain. You could try and flake it off? But short of acetone i dont think anything will take it off. Acetone will probably take the pain off. You might just try touching up the spot with paint to cover the glue.

The two screws are fine. You dont need the third.

DanTheEldest, welcome to S12.com!

Very nice to see you here, I hope you bring a level of forum activity similar to that at XD.com.

Glad too, to see you finally bought and converted a Saiga :smoke:

I'd try a razor blade and a steady hand to scrape it off, then a quick touch up if needed.

Of course this could be a good excuse to refinish the entire receiver in something better than the factory paint :angel:

The third hole is on the bottom/center of the receiver, on the Saiga rifles it is often covered by the pistol grip when converted.

If the aftermarket stock is tight with two, you're good to go, if not remove PG and use third screw.

• Like 1

DanTheEldest, welcome to S12.com!

Very nice to see you here, I hope you bring a level of forum activity similar to that at XD.com.

Glad too, to see you finally bought and converted a Saiga :smoke:

I'd try a razor blade and a steady hand to scrape it off, then a quick touch up if needed.

Of course this could be a good excuse to refinish the entire receiver in something better than the factory paint :angel:

The third hole is on the bottom/center of the receiver, on the Saiga rifles it is often covered by the pistol grip when converted.

If the aftermarket stock is tight with two, you're good to go, if not remove PG and use third screw.

I figured I'd see you here. 000.gif I've been lurking around here for quite a while gathering info from other people's posts, but then when I finally got all the parts accumulated for mine I figured I'd go ahead and register. There's a ton of good info here at your fingertips.

The super glue is more very thinly smeared rather than "dropped' on the finish, which I think is actually going to work against me in getting it off. I might try some acetone or just leave it for the time being and see if it wears off with regular use and cleaning.

The stock is nice and snug with just the top two, so I reckon I'm good.

I'll see you around or over on The Other Site.

Finger nail polish remover contains a small percentage of acetone and is know to remove superglue.

With that said, it also might remove a little paint, but less so then full strength acetone.

I have used fingernail polish remover on my reciever and it doesnt seem to take alot of factory paint with it. Not as much as rubbing alcohol, which takes alot off. I dont know if it will get rif of super glue, but polish remover shouldnt be really bad for your factory black.

Edited by Boomsick42

I just tried it on my barrel, in light swipes it doesnt take alot off. But if you are going to soak and scrub, it will not be a good idea. If it dissolves the glue rather quickly you would be ok. If not, its an ak, dremel the shit off :D

Edited by Boomsick42

Thanks for all the suggestions. Just because it was something the Mrs. could pick up at the grocery store, I went ahead and tried the nail polish remover. I used a little bit on napkin corners and it did the trick, but I didn't linger in any one spot for long. The finish seems okay; I'd like to get the whole rifle parked and Gunkoted later so I wasn't too worried, but it's nice that it didn't dissolve the factory black right away.