Muzzle device options

I am doing research on 308 muzzle devices and am having a hard time choosing. What I would really like would be a 308 slant break, but I don't think I am going to have any luck with that. What thread type should I do to give me the most options? 5/8"x24, 17x1 ???

Really I just want to learn as much as I can before I thread it, and rite now I don't know much. Any input is appreciated. Thanks guys.

I am doing research on 308 muzzle devices and am having a hard time choosing. What I would really like would be a 308 slant break, but I don't think I am going to have any luck with that. What thread type should I do to give me the most options? 5/8"x24, 17x1 ???

Really I just want to learn as much as I can before I thread it, and rite now I don't know much. Any input is appreciated. Thanks guys.

Get 5/8x24 and you will have a hundred options, but my recommendation would be the Spikes Tactical Dynacomp.

Get Cadiz Gun WOrks to do the threading. They do it on a lathe.

Thanks to everyone for helping. Tritium, that is bad ass, I will have to look into that more and see if it is something I can do. I am not the best gunsmith, but with the help of this forum and all of the great people on here I am getting pretty confident in my abilities.

i threaded my own barrel with dinzags die and guide worked great on my 308,i put on a shark brake will try to shoot it this weekend

Did you get a chance to shoot it? How did it go? Is crowning it difficult? I have a shark break laying around here somewhere for my S12, I like the idea of one for a .308.

I'd highly recommend that if you have a 16" barrel you avoid using a regular BRAKE on it.

It's already a very hard gun on the ears and sinuses without a brake. I think a linear brake, or something like the novenske hog would actually improve things.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

i threaded my own barrel with dinzags die and guide worked great on my 308,i put on a shark brake will try to shoot it this weekend

I also did my own with the Dinzags tool rental. I put one of his AK74 brakes on. It works very well and I put it on my 16" barrel. I really dont notice it being any louder though. Maybe I am just getting used to it. :unsure:

Edited by Bobriden1
  • Like 1

PWS hider/compensator on my S308, very pleased with performance. It is not a sound "loudener" like a slant brake is.

DSC_0020.jpg

Underside of same device but on different gun, as I have this device on my combloc rifles.

IMG_1622.jpg

I really like that!

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the gun, an 00 model, I am just trying to decide on what length. I plan to have it threaded soon. Thanks for the suggestions so far, I think I will have to get more than one muzzle device. :smoke:

Lookin great K.O.T.H. !

Had me goin for just a sec with that magazine...lol.

Yes definitely go with the 5/8 x 24 and do it your self. You can rent the proper tools from dinzag to do the threads, crowning, the works. I cut my 22" er down to 16 1/8" and had Brian ream out the front sight to move it back. He also made me a custom lower HG retainer to fit the heavy barrel on mine. Did further custom work on the FSB so I could install a detent pin to lock my custom 74 brake on there. It all turned out great. The brake works great and I don't notice it being any louder. Hell I'm pretty sure my 16" S-.223 with

the Shark brake throws back a bigger fireball. I'll try to get some pics up later.

I also did my own with the Dinzags tool rental. I put one of his AK74 brakes on. It works very well and I put it on my 16" barrel. I really dont notice it being any louder though. Maybe I am just getting used to it. unsure.gif

+1

I hate to sound ignorant but are those 5/8-24 RH or LH threads?

Righty tighty, lefty loosey.... wink.png

• Like 1

Plus 1 on the 5/8-24 option.

I use an M-60 flash hider on mine and it works wonders on my 16" barrel.

Surplus ones run from $20-$30.

I have seen the shorter M-60E3 FH's on GunBroker in the +/- $50 range.

Macbeau sends...

Macbeau sends...

How well does the M60 hide flash, and do you like it? Anything to compare it to?

Macbeau sends...

How well does the M60 hide flash, and do you like it? Anything to compare it to?

I have had people focus on it while shooting and videoed it in failing light and not flash is visible in either case. I LOVE it! It's a tad long, but on a 16" .308, it's not too bad. I think and M60E3 or 4 FH would work well too (both are 5/8-24). Dinzag did the machine work on mine (turned the ring off the back) but a home-hobbiest could easily do it with a file or dremel.

Looking for suggestions I have a 16" 308 with a 74 brake on it . Does anyone know of anything that does everything suppress flash,reduce recoil , muzzle rise , and noise to some degree not just full blown silencer ?

I have heard good things about the battle comp. It won't do everything you listed and it's ridiculously expensive but I have read alot of positive reviews about it's ability to tame muzzle rise and suppress flash about as well as an A2 birdcage.

Edited by FAULTLINE

Looking for suggestions I have a 16" 308 with a 74 brake on it . Does anyone know of anything that does everything suppress flash,reduce recoil , muzzle rise , and noise to some degree not just full blown silencer ?

Yup, its the $99 PWS muzzle device.

http://primaryweapon...30&idcategory=6

This is the linky for the FAL version I have on my S308 but there are other sizes and thread pitches avaliable.

Here is the gun, an 00 model, I am just trying to decide on what length. I plan to have it threaded soon. Thanks for the suggestions so far, I think I will have to get more than one muzzle device. 000.gif

Lookin great K.O.T.H. !

Yes definitely go with the 5/8 x 24 and do it your self. You can rent the proper tools from dinzag to do the threads, crowning, the works. I cut my 22" er down to 16 1/8" and had Brian ream out the front sight to move it back. He also made me a custom lower HG retainer to fit the heavy barrel on mine. Did further custom work on the FSB so I could install a detent pin to lock my custom 74 brake on there. It all turned out great. The brake works great and I don't notice it being any louder. Hell I'm pretty sure my 16" S-.223 with

the Shark brake throws back a bigger fireball. I'll try to get some pics up later.

Thank you Cobra. That compliment means a lot coming from an AK guy like you. I put that mag in the pic to illustrate how close it looks to a 7.62. lol. This gun sat in the safe for years because I just didn't like the way it looked. The sporter look looks terrible IMO, not to mention the trigger. After conversion it is one of my favorites! I have to mention that I can't take credit for the conversion completely, It was converted by forum contributor JMAC. I helped, but he did all the work on the PG/trigger conversion and gave me the Arsenal stock set.

I would like to see those pics.

The PWS Brake/FH are loud, but is a good FH for a brake.

The battlecomp has a concussive blast, and a huge flash out of my AR15 with 11.5" barrel.

The Dynacomp seems to be somewhere in there, but Rainier Arms also has a FH/Brake that seems promising.

The battlecomp has a concussive blast, and a huge flash out of my AR15 with 11.5" barrel.

The key words there being '11.5" barrel'. I've tried it at night from a 16 inch barrel, and the flash is relatively mild (though certainly not as mild as with a dedicated flash hider). There is a blast, but it is not so bad, especially for the shooter.

My S308 is out to the gunsmith right now getting a Battlecomp BABC installed. Can't wait to see how it performs. If the BC on the 5.56 rifle I tried is any indication, I will be very pleased.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is the gun, an 00 model, I am just trying to decide on what length. I plan to have it threaded soon. Thanks for the suggestions so far, I think I will have to get more than one muzzle device. 000.gif

Lookin great K.O.T.H. !

Thank you Cobra. That compliment means a lot coming from an AK guy like you. I put that mag in the pic to illustrate how close it looks to a 7.62. lol. This gun sat in the safe for years because I just didn't like the way it looked. The sporter look looks terrible IMO, not to mention the trigger. After conversion it is one of my favorites! I have to mention that I can't take credit for the conversion completely, It was converted by forum contributor JMAC. I helped, but he did all the work on the PG/trigger conversion and gave me the Arsenal stock set.

I would like to see those pics.

Hey bro I found those pics I was talking about, showing the custom work done on my fore end.

post-1293-0-12535600-1320021186_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-71477800-1320021199_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-91694300-1320021208_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-31195400-1320021220_thumb.jpg