If I was going to get 1 pistol for a SHTF situation, what type would it be? Some things to consider would be (feel free to add)

Consealable - has to be somewhat small, aka no desert eagle .50

Reliable - Something proven and simple

High capacity - High capacity would be a plus

So I was thinking either a Glock 9mm since Glocks have such a great repuation of always firing, a Springfield xdM 9mm since it has 19+1 capacity, or some type of revolver since they're so simple.

Thoughts?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Glock. Check this out.

Glock 17. Fits all your parameters and has 33 round mags available.

A knife requires you to be within arms reach, though. (Unless you're handy with throwing knives) A knife being best tool when within arms reach from your target is debatable. Personally, I'd take a

Posted Images

well i have a desert eagle .50, while hard to beat the power, the weight alone with the limited mag capacity wouldnt be a wise choice. plus the fireball would give your position away in a heartbeat. especially at dusk. id go with the trusty glock. mines a glock 23 with several 22 rd. factory mags. or if you like, the FNP-45. ships with 15 round factory mags and 3 of them to boot. but i like to refer to the glock as the AK of the pistol world.

i did have an HK USP .45 that i liked, but to me was overpriced for what it was. it wasnt and isnt any better than my glock 23, my FNP 45, nor my deagle. not a bad pistol by any means, but needless to say i sold it to fund other projects.

i vote for GLOCK or FN.

Edited by Captain Hero
  • Like 1

Glock 17. Fits all your parameters and has 33 round mags available.

+1

While not the smallest handgun, my buddy easily conceals a Glock 22 (same exact size as a 17) under a t-shirt for work, tucked inside a Crossbreed Supertuck, and he's built like a beanpole.

• Like 1

Any 9mm glock but the 26 would fit the bill IMHO, though I would not claim that they are perfect, they are close IMHO. You could get a 40 or 357 cal and some conversion barrels for caliber options if SHTF. That said, these conversions are not as proven as a stock Glock. Another question is, is it worth it to be carrying around parts and different caliber mags? I mean, you get a complete stock slide with stock barrel and ejector for each caliber, but at some point you might as well just buy a second gun. I went the multiple caliber route and bought a G23, but I don't have conversion barrels yet.

I vote for Glock but A judge would be a great backup, the variety of ammo would help in different scenarios.

I guess 410 out of the judge might work for small game, but that's all I would trust it for in 410. In 45lc it's okay. S&W has one that allows for the use of 45acp, 45lc and 410. That or a 38/357 revolver would be a better backup than a Judge IMHO.

• Like 1

Get the gun that you will train with and become proficient with. All this talk about high cap mags is okay if you plan on either being stupidly inaccurate or plan on taking on (that does mean shooting at with a deadly weapon repeatedly...) a large group of people. I understand that this thread is "SHTF' themed but really, what does it mean??? Apocalypse? Does apocalypse mean the killing of large amounts of humans to you? No matter what the sit, I would say that the best things you can have in your possession is a weapon that you are comfortable with and can hit what you aim at. Mag cap over 10+ is nothing but a range toy for me. I'll stick with my HK45 for all sits -- from HD to the most dire.

Just my zwei pfennigs.

Thanks for tuning in.

A pistol is for fighting your way back to the rifle you should never have left behind anyway!

That said, there is a need to have human contact other than open conflict. Then a decent 9MM or .25 ACP depending on what weight clothes you wear, and the circumstance.

SW m&p, FN fnx, CZ p01/75/97, Berretta 92, Sig, H&K all make good, reliable, quality, hi cap hand guns in various calibers. Some are DA some SA/DA. Find the one you like, that fits your hands and your wallet. If you like a gun but can't afford the ammo then that gun is no good to you.

Edited by Arik
  • Like 1

A handgun simply isn't a SHTF weapon. Yeah, if you find yourself in SHTF situation you need a pistol, but it is for last ditch personal protection; that's really all a pistol is good for in any but the most expert hands.

Respectfully disagree.

In a SHTF situation, the handgun will become very important. If you have to go somewhere, you wouldn't want to broadcast to everyone that you have a gun as it is a good way to get shot.

Imagine having to walk down to pick up supplies with a rifle or a shotgun strapped to your back. You would be arrested immediately and have your guns confiscated or be shot and your guns removed from your cold dead hands.

Not to say that rifles/shotguns won't be used but they will primarily be used to protect the home.

• Like 1

While I agree with just about everyone here I will say that the 33 round mag in a G19 or G17 package does lend itself to "suppressive" firepower. While my buddy does leaps and bounds back to reload or more safe cover I can lay out a column of lead to keep the others heads down. Now couple that with 3-10 mags and your golden...just dont forget your own main battle rifle preferably in .308 or larger for keeping the critters at bay.

~ .308 for a good 350-700 yard knock down. (Scope & Suppress it for extra stealth)

~ 5.56x45 for 200-400 yard fighting.

~ 7.62x39 for block to block fighting.

~ 9mm suppressed rifle for house to house pickings.

~ 9mm handgun (again suppressed) for that special attention getter.

~.22lr or .17hmr scoped & suppressed rifle for sneaky-squirrel ops.

More than you asked for I know but this is how I see a SHTF unfolding.

The weapon you HAVE is everything. If you are not comfortable with it's reliabilty and effectiveness, why have it?

I HAVE a S&W .357, a Taurus PT-145 and a Llama, .380 in 1911 config. I trust them all with my life. I have to, it's what I HAVE and am familiar with. What issues I've had tend to be ammo related rather than gun. Same with most handguns I suspect. I've seen what a .22 can do once inside the human skull and even the body cavity. NOT pretty unless you like mashed taters and lots of red gravy.

So go with what you HAVE(can afford), train with it, shoot it ALOT and ALWAYS have it handy. If it fails, better to find out before you do need it.

• Like 1

The weapon you HAVE is everything. If you are not comfortable with it's reliabilty and effectiveness, why have it?

I HAVE a S&W .357, a Taurus PT-145 and a Llama, .380 in 1911 config. I trust them all with my life. I have to, it's what I HAVE and am familiar with. What issues I've had tend to be ammo related rather than gun. Same with most handguns I suspect. I've seen what a .22 can do once inside the human skull and even the body cavity. NOT pretty unless you like mashed taters and lots of red gravy.

So go with what you HAVE(can afford), train with it, shoot it ALOT and ALWAYS have it handy. If it fails, better to find out before you do need it.

That's right. If my XD .40 wasn't the pistol I wanted for any type of shit, regardless of whether or not the shit had hit said fan, I wouldn't be carrying it now. That being said, It's always going to take a backseat to a rifle or shotgun whenever possible.

• Like 2

i agree with the whatever you have comment. Of what i have, my Ruger p95 has been 100% perfect (actually so has my gp100, but i'm thinking autos here) it would be my choice in an emergency.

9mm is a good choice because the ammo is everywhere, i've seen major droughts on .40 in the last few years.....

I'd go with a Glock 20. I've owned a few different Glocks and the 20 is by far my favorite. 10mm auto is an extremely effective caliber and the 20 uses 15 rnd mags.

As others have mentioned, most Glocks are very easy to convert to another caliber, just drop in a new barrel. G-20's are the same way. In addition to 10mm auto; with the appropriate conversion barrels, they can fire .40 S&W or .357 Sig, the 10mm mags will feed all 3 calibers.

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • Like 1

3rd Gen or earlier Glock 17

GlockStuff.jpg

My 1st Gen Glock 17 was bought at Southwest Shooters in OKC in 1989 and fired over 40,000rds of IMI +P+ subgun ammo. It malfunctioned 6 times,2 of them due to a weak magazine spring on a used magazine I bought and the other 4 were ammunition related.Every other pistol I have ever owned including Sigs and HKs had that many malfunctions within the 500-3000rds.

If it must go "Bang" every time, without fail, no matter what buy a Glock 17(not a 19, not a 22, not a 21 but a 17)

Edit:I have added to my collection since this picture and will probably not be done until I have half a dozen set up for different purposes including Trijicon RMR slide milling, long barreled model for use with a carbine kit and a dedicated 22lr version.

Edited by SOPMOD

If it must go "Bang" every time, without fail, no matter what buy a Glock 17(not a 19, not a 22, not a 21 but a 17)

The G17 is notorious for being the most reliable Glock out there.

The G17 is the original with millions of dollars of Austrian government grants for it's development and modernized manufacturing practices and radical and exhaustive testing under military conditions.It is the proven product while everything else is an extrapolation intended for civilian users. The G20 was over-engineered as a matter of course because Glock was still using Austrian Proofhouse testing when they designed it and their base load was the spicy hot Fiocci 10mm "Full House" load and the pistol had to survive a 50% overcharge based on that load data to make it through their design process. All subsequent Glock models while quite good for what they are are not engineered and tested as well as the venerable Glock 17.

I know an Austrian Army Colonel who was involved in military torture testing of the G17 as well as the AUG. Both weapons were dropped from various altitudes during parachute operations to test durability. You don't see our government kicking money towards weapons development the same way as Austria. We just go with the lowest bidder.

• Like 1