Whew, yeah, if I was on that boat, I'd definitely be at Brown Alert. That was one big pile of mean charging through the trees.

No way that was a warning shot that bear would have been chewing on his skull by the time he could get another round off. He needed to make the 1st one count.

It can't be easy to aim and shit your pants at the same time. I can't say I would be doing anything different, that bear was fast..

Bear in mind (heh) that the momentum equation and the kinetic energy equation are simply the latter being an integral of the former.

Meaning that there's an extra velocity term in the energy equation. When one decreases mass of the round, and makes it move really

fast, you're picking up KE at the expense of momentum, and, the heavier, slower bullet picks up momentum at the expense of KE.

Here's an example. I have a 1 lb baseball doing 10,000 ft/s heading at you. I also have a 10,000 lb truck doing 1 ft/s heading at you.

Same momentum on each. Pick which one hits you.

The truck, obviously, you say, and that is because you instinctively get the idea of kinetic energy. The truck has 10,000 ft lbf of KE,

whereas the ball has 50,000,000 ft lbf (can we use metric already, foot pounds foot? what sort of units are those?) coming at you.

Thus, one does want a LOT of KE, but wants a big enough bullet to penetrate and transfer all energy. Too light a bullet and it

will either tap in or zip through, depending on what you hit. Too heavy and it doesn't penetrate because it's too slow.

However, on an unrelated note, it's interesting no one has mentioned the depth of the water. That bear was neck deep by the time

it turned around. That charge would have turned into a swim in about another second.

I never wander into bear country without my 338win mag. He fired a warning shot like he said and he didn't want to kill the mother bear and leave the cubs for some male bears din-din i'm sure. I never would of guessed a warning shot like this would work but i wouldn't count on it all the time for working. I wonder if they had to clean there shorts after this? I have heard true stories about one guy who walked up on a blackbear den. The bear was in it and charged out running the guy down and over him and it continued to run off. While his two buddy's watched and he had to go back to there camp and change his shorts. My point is becareful even around bear dens. UNKN

My wife and I were nearly the ultimate Darwin Award Winners...

2007, In Yellowstone National Park we saw a dead buffalo being fed on by 3 Grizzlies on the far bank of the river -- very cool. We decided to wake up early and head to the scene to get some picts. Got there, sat in the car when people in the next car said that a Mother and 2 babies crossed their vision on their way to the rivier...

Wife and I jump out and run to the river -- it was dark AND foggy. I get to the river first -- stand still and listen -- I hear 15 yards behind me splashing. Wife joins me and we both see this big momma and two babies about 30 feet away wading in the river to get to the food. I am frozen but the wife says; "Pretty bear." The momma turns towards us and rears up on hind legs. Honestly I think we were both so stunned at being in this spot that we just stood there. Momma and babies continue to food.

Life gives you moments that you will never forget -- that was indeed one on those...

Im relaying something I read, and cant remember the source, but was just some subjective observation of an old hunter from over a century ago describing the ability of a grizzly, brown, or kodiak to keep on charging after it was mortally wounded....so obviously its vague. If anyone has differing info, I stand corrected.

Anyway, he wrote that a full grown bear had the ability to keep charging for hundreds of yards, or run for a minute or so after a solid shot (some heavy cowboy load) right through the heart. Im sure the stopping power of large modern rifle calibers changes all that, but his point was that the grizzly had the ability to keep on getting it in full stride after his heart had effectively exploded.

I know this is old news to any of you that hunt, but I thought it was interesting,

Yeah, I also remember reading something a few years back that the large carnivorous bears (Grizzly, Polar) actually have functioning brain cell clusters in other parts of their body besides just the cranial vault (like supposedly some carnivorous dinosaurs were known to have), so a incapacitating shot to the bruin's brain pan was not necessarily a guaranteed killing shot. :cryss:

Tough critters to dispatch, for sure. :eek::ded:

Yeah, I also remember reading something a few years back that the large carnivorous bears (Grizzly, Polar) actually have functioning brain cell clusters in other parts of their body besides just the cranial vault (like supposedly some carnivorous dinosaurs were known to have), so a incapacitating shot to the bruin's brain pan was not necessarily a guaranteed killing shot. :cryss:

jesus, really?

maybe it would be better to walk into the forrest with a class 3, 50 cal heavy machine gun. i bet that would take down a bear.

lol

jesus, really?

maybe it would be better to walk into the forrest with a class 3, 50 cal heavy machine gun. i bet that would take down a bear.

lol

No you see, all you have to do is just wear those little bear bells they sell and that keeps all the bears away. :rolleyes: I think the bears call those "dinner bells".:lolol:

jesus, really?

lol

No you see, all you have to do is just wear those little bear bells they sell and that keeps all the bears away. :rolleyes: I think the bears call those "dinner bells".:lolol:

they actually sell things like that?

lol

wouldnt that attract curious wildlife rather than repel it? i think id rather have the heavy mg.022.gif

jesus, really?

lol

they actually sell things like that?

lol

wouldnt that attract curious wildlife rather than repel it? i think id rather have the heavy mg.022.gif

They actually do serve a useful purpose.That or anything else that prevents you from surprising a bear which is what happened in the video. If they hear you coming, they will probably avoid you and you may never see them.

Suppose this turned out about as well as it could, so far they're all still alive:

http://www.adn.com/2011/07/24/1983379/grizzly-sow-attacks-group-of-seven.html#disqus_thread

In Alaska only greenies and lefties go into the woods unarmed, and not even all of them, there are lots of liberal Democrats who are NRA Life Members here and our carry unless prohibited law was introduced by a Democrat. If you are a non-resident hunting bear, you must have a guide, who will most assuredly be heavily armed. This "school" sends urban teenagers from the Lower 48 into serious grizzly country with only three cans of bear spray for seven kids and instructions to make noise.

Suppose this turned out about as well as it could, so far they're all still alive:

http://www.adn.com/2...l#disqus_thread

In Alaska only greenies and lefties go into the woods unarmed, and not even all of them, there are lots of liberal Democrats who are NRA Life Members here and our carry unless prohibited law was introduced by a Democrat. If you are a non-resident hunting bear, you must have a guide, who will most assuredly be heavily armed. This "school" sends urban teenagers from the Lower 48 into serious grizzly country with only three cans of bear spray for seven kids and instructions to make noise.

How incredibly irresponsible of these "adults" and the kids parents as well. Yes the bear attack risks are low, but the wounds are very serious.