1000 yard AK. What's your closest group with a Saiga?

Hello everyone. In case you haven't heard. They will be making a 1000 yard AK on the show "Sons Of Guns' on The Discovery Channel, here on the east coast. 9pm Wednesday I would love to shoot that. That got me thinking. What's the the closest group can your Saiga do? Pictures of firearms and/or targets, a plus.

The 7.62x39 has too much drop and lacks the ballistic efficiency to reach out that far and be stabilized.

The Saiga .308 or 30-06 will reach out past 800 yards with the right load. I would think the 175 grain Matchking or 155 grain Scenar bullets pushed to max should be stable and supersonic at 1,000 yards. Also the PSL and SVD variants should be capable as well with the right load.

I highly doubt that any of these or the SOG AK will be capable of MOA (US Military requirement for "Sniper Rifle") or better without significantly tightening up the tolerances to the point that the main advantage of the AK system goes away - reliability in adverse conditions. Looser tolerances don't help accuracy, but they sure help functioning the action in sandy and sticky environments. Still - it makes entertaining TV.

The 7.62x39 has too much drop and lacks the ballistic efficiency to reach out that far and be stabilized.

The Saiga .308 or 30-06 will reach out past 800 yards with the right load. I would think the 175 grain Matchking or 155 grain Scenar bullets pushed to max should be stable and supersonic at 1,000 yards. Also the PSL and SVD variants should be capable as well with the right load.

I highly doubt that any of these or the SOG AK will be capable of MOA (US Military requirement for "Sniper Rifle") or better without significantly tightening up the tolerances to the point that the main advantage of the AK system goes away - reliability in adverse conditions. Looser tolerances don't help accuracy, but they sure help functioning the action in sandy and sticky environments. Still - it makes entertaining TV.

I dunno, I wouldn't put anything past Will. I'll watch tomorrow night, might ask him some questions in their forum after.

........are they trying get get a hit, get a good grouping?

.....get a good TV show.

Agreed! I really enjoy this show, but we need to realize that regular 'ol gun repairs is not exiting TV for most folks.

Think of these projects as the kind of things you would do, "just because you can" or "just because nobody thinks you can". They do make for a good show. I would have zero need for a 1000 yard AK, but you bet your ass I would love to see the looks on my friends faces if I could hit a target at 1000 yards with an AK!!! It is all Good Fun!

Edited by RobRez

The question is... if it's not a 7.62X39 is it an "AK"? The projectile has to be "stable" at 1000yds for it to be accurate. To be stable it has to be moving faster than the speed of sound, or approx.1129fps. It's not a limitation on the rifle, it's a llimitation on the cartridge. I don't see how its possible to get a 7.62X39 cartridge to fire a bullet where it will still be traveling at or above 1129fps at 1000yds. The only thing you can do to a rifle that has any affect on the velocity of the bullet is increase the barrel lenght, but even then there is a law of diminishing return. A 123grn Hornady SST bullet shot through a 20 in barrel has a muzzle velocity of 2350fps (Hornady factory ammo specs) and will be traveling at 1129fps at 500yds. You can't modify a rifle enough to virtually double the velocity or in this case double the "effective" distance. All that being said. I will definitely be watching. This is a fun show to watch!!

In the preview for that episode, it looks like it is larger than a 7.62x39 ... more like a full size cartridge like a 308 or 54r maybe? The mag was def. a lot bigger than a 7.62x39

forgot to add: It may be that Redjacket saw what Mark Krebs has come up with in 6.8SPC recently... a friggin' tack driver and was impressive out to 600 yards (?)

Edited by ozipit

It's a Saiga 308.It has no remote trigger linkage and it's got a trunnion swell on the ejection port side.

This won't be a huge stretch if he headspaced it tight, squares the trunnion and bolt lugs and get's the pressures off the barrel(some sort of freefloat tube).

I am anxious to see what he does.

........are they trying get get a hit, get a good grouping?

.....get a good TV show.

Agreed! I really enjoy this show, but we need to realize that regular 'ol gun repairs is not exiting TV for most folks.

Think of these projects as the kind of things you would do, "just because you can" or "just because nobody thinks you can". They do make for a good show. I would have zero need for a 1000 yard AK, but you bet your ass I would love to see the looks on my friends faces if I could hit a target at 1000 yards with an AK!!! It is all Good Fun!

My dream is a TV channel much like those home improvement shows where all they do is show you how you can mod your guns and make your own ammo. My remote would never be used afterwards...

• Like 1

It's a Saiga 308.It has no remote trigger linkage and it's got a trunnion swell on the ejection port side.

This won't be a huge stretch if he headspaced it tight, squares the trunnion and bolt lugs and get's the pressures off the barrel(some sort of freefloat tube).

I am anxious to see what he does.

I figured it had to be at least a .308. The .308 is more than capable for 1000yds. I am still looking forward to seeing it.

This is the AK that I built a couple of years ago on a milled receiver that has a completely free floated barrel. Nothing and I mean NOTHING is touching that barrel.....though it "appears" the gas tube and hand guard are standard issue. The barrel is hanging cleanly off the receiver.

And no....I am not going to share how it was done.

Tony Rumore

Tromix

SubMOA1.jpg

• Like 2

^^ BADASS!! Mr. Rumore. Hows it group?

The question is... if it's not a 7.62X39 is it an "AK"?

You lost me.

Does an AK have to be in the 7.62X39 caliber to be considered an AK? I am not saying that it's impossible to hit a target at 1000yds with something in the 7.62X39 caliber, I am saying to do it with any consistency is pretty close to impossible...

This is the AK that I built a couple of years ago on a milled receiver that has a completely free floated barrel. Nothing and I mean NOTHING is touching that barrel.....though it "appears" the gas tube and hand guard are standard issue. The barrel is hanging cleanly off the receiver.

And no....I am not going to share how it was done.

Tony Rumore

Tromix

SubMOA1.jpg

Wow, i mean everything i've seen a lot of stuff you do you ak platforms and it all seems very achievable but, that, i mean if that's a truly free float barrel that's makes the gun an MOA rifle in apparently 5.45 or 5.56 judging by the mag, color me impressed, i don't know you did that. i mean i get the gas block/tube and one solid piece that the barrel slides into, and the hand guard could be done a lot of different ways but the barrel lock up is mystifying i'd love to see that barrel have the pins punched out and slide right off. quite cool. but really you would have to be designing custom pins and barrel or using a barrel attachment rig from an existing free float platform or something like that and then creating a custom mounting block to weld/rivet into your AK receiver either way a lot of work.

That being said, now its a slap together job that's a rickety pin on barrel with a sloppy 4+Moa then i think i have a pretty good idea exactly how you did that.

Oh and that barrel looks thicker than the .308, with that milled receiver i bet that things is heavvy

Edited by Joebanks

Hmm, the RPK(w/23" barrel) is rated at 1000meters max effective range. However since it was built as a LMG, that effectiveness may very possibly be as suppresive fire rather than "sniper" fire, lol.

I'd be happy to squeeze 600m body shots out of it.

You lost me.

Does an AK have to be in the 7.62X39 caliber to be considered an AK?

Have you heard of an AK74? Its in 5.45x39.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AK-74

They are referring to the AK action, (The receiver, gas system and bolt/carrier)

Edited by DrGonZo
  • Like 1

You lost me.

Does an AK have to be in the 7.62X39 caliber to be considered an AK?

Have you heard of an AK74? Its in 5.45x39.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AK-74

They are referring to the AK action, (The receiver, gas system and bolt/carrier)

OK...OK...OK... point taken. When I first saw the preview/commercial for the episode, I thought they were going to try and get an AK47 in the 7.62X39 caliber to shoot 1000 yds.

When I grow up I hope I am as smart as you guys....

It weighs 12.3 pounds with no magazine in it. I test fired it in the bullet trap, but never took it out for accuracy testing.

It's been collecting dust in the safe ever since.

Tony

I would love to hear how it shoots if you ever get a chance to shoot it. Do you drive to Tulsa to shoot or do you have a place out in Inola? I lived in Broken Arrow for 12 years.

• Like 1