I am planning on picking up a ruger sr9 around thanksgiving as my first semi-auto pistol, I was brought up on revolvers,357 and 38 special. I dont really want to go through the concealed carry process as I am not going to take it anywhere other than to the shooting range, wal-mart before the shooting range and maybe to the grocery store. I already know the legality of the whole thing and realize someone could call the police and result in "going armed to the terror of the public". I just wanted to hear anyones opinions or experiences with it and where you live.

I am planning on picking up a ruger sr9 around thanksgiving as my first semi-auto pistol, I was brought up on revolvers,357 and 38 special. I dont really want to go through the concealed carry process as I am not going to take it anywhere other than to the shooting range, wal-mart before the shooting range and maybe to the grocery store. I already know the legality of the whole thing and realize someone could call the police and result in "going armed to the terror of the public". I just wanted to hear anyones opinions or experiences with it and where you live.

I guess I don't understand your motivation for wanting to open carry in just a couple of places. That, and the fact that you don't want to bother with getting a concealed weapons permit indicates you are not too concerned with personal protection. To be clear, you should be able to open carry wherever it is legal and not be hassled or ridiculed for doing so. Also, be aware that is probably not going to happen. If all you are concerned with is firing at the range you can save yourself a lot of hassle by just keeping it in your car unloaded on the way to and from the range which is legal just about everywhere.

I understand why carry in a few places when you can carry just about anywhere, well it is hot as balls here so truthfully open would be more comfortable than having to wear something over the gun. Secondly why would you assume that because I am not interested in concealed carry at the moment I am not interested in my own personal safety. There are some places I feel I do not need to carry a handgun and some places that I feel a handgun is not a bad idea. It is not about me showing off or trying to be a badass. Unfortunately in north carolina there is statute called " going armed to the terror of the public" if anyone calls the police and states they felt threatened by you or how you are acting and you are open carrying then the cops are showing up. Then an interview will ensue and I dont have to give up the firearm while I am conducting the interview legally but I am sure the cops will insist.

I probably will get a ccw permit at some point down the line, but when you live in a open carry friendly state and it is 100 degrees with 80% relative humidity you dont want to be wearing anything other than a t-shirt and I dont see that covering a pistol of this size. I know you should not be ridiculed or hassled for it but occasionally someone might get a little ansy and call the cops. I would like to wait and get my fiancee to take the class with me once she is more comfortable with the gun and feels she can use it safely and properly. Might as well kill two birds with one stone.

As far as my own personal protection I sleep with my benelli supernova beside my bed loaded with 00 buck for the first 5 shells and slugs for the last three.

I am just a law abiding citizen wanting to excercise my constitutional rights at certain times not all the time, there is a time and a place for everything. even if I had a ccw I still would not carry everywhere I go, or maybe I would I won't know until I get one I guess.

I only open carry while hiking or camping. I don't like explaining the same law over and over to uninformed, panicky people.

^ This plus some counties allow oc and some don't. The county that doesn't allow it has very iffy wording. Also it's a weird law but if you don't have a permit you can oc but if you do have a permit you can't oc.

So its either oc but not everywhere plus what K.T said or get a permit and carry in every county in the state but concealed.

Also I go to bars often with buddies on weekends and if im carrying I don't drink but I don't need some punk with beer balls trying to see if he can take my gun in a crowded bar.

As for hot weather, I live near Philly Pa so it gets just as hot here too. I have no problem throwing on a tanktop, gun iwb and a t-shirt over that and I havnt worn shorts in years. Doesn't bother me much. Even if it was legal to oc everywhere and no one cared i'd probably still cc. Some peoples say I don't exercise my 2A right. Maybe they are right but I look at it as im exercising my freedom of choice.

OC or CC is like a lot of other things we own or do. Chosen by comfort level, lifestyle, and the area in which we live.

Edited by Arik
  • Like 1

I understand why carry in a few places when you can carry just about anywhere, well it is hot as balls here so truthfully open would be more comfortable than having to wear something over the gun. Secondly why would you assume that because I am not interested in concealed carry at the moment I am not interested in my own personal safety. There are some places I feel I do not need to carry a handgun and some places that I feel a handgun is not a bad idea. It is not about me showing off or trying to be a badass. Unfortunately in north carolina there is statute called " going armed to the terror of the public" if anyone calls the police and states they felt threatened by you or how you are acting and you are open carrying then the cops are showing up. Then an interview will ensue and I dont have to give up the firearm while I am conducting the interview legally but I am sure the cops will insist.

I probably will get a ccw permit at some point down the line, but when you live in a open carry friendly state and it is 100 degrees with 80% relative humidity you dont want to be wearing anything other than a t-shirt and I dont see that covering a pistol of this size. I know you should not be ridiculed or hassled for it but occasionally someone might get a little ansy and call the cops. I would like to wait and get my fiancee to take the class with me once she is more comfortable with the gun and feels she can use it safely and properly. Might as well kill two birds with one stone.

As far as my own personal protection I sleep with my benelli supernova beside my bed loaded with 00 buck for the first 5 shells and slugs for the last three.

I am just a law abiding citizen wanting to excercise my constitutional rights at certain times not all the time, there is a time and a place for everything. even if I had a ccw I still would not carry everywhere I go, or maybe I would I won't know until I get one I guess.

I did not mean to imply that you were not interested in personal protection, only that carrying a handgun away from home, concealed or not, doesn't seem to play a major role in that for you. That is.....not carrying concealed at all, and only open carrying to "WalMart and maybe the grocery store". In contrast, I carry concealed almost everywhere. I fully support your right to carry a gun legally any way you want.

I would like to carry everywhere but I also run into a lot of people that are tenants in buildings I manage as well as my fiancees family, so concealed would be great for that purpose. The funny part is alot of her family are anti-gun until recently when her cousins house was broken into during broad daylight while they were not at home thank god, lets say they sing a different tune now. I just think it is one of those things if enough people dont do it we may somehow lose that right all together. Can you carry loaded or is it like commifornia where the gun and mags must be separate. If so that is a huge tactical disadvantage assuming you needed to protect your life or someone elses.

Edited by dashowdy

I would like to carry everywhere but I also run into a lot of people that are tenants in buildings I manage as well as my fiancees family, so concealed would be great for that purpose. The funny part is alot of her family are anti-gun until recently when her cousins house was broken into during broad daylight while they were not at home thank god, lets say they sing a different tune now. I just think it is one of those things if enough people dont do it we may somehow lose that right all together. Can you carry loaded or is it like commifornia where the gun and mags must be separate. If so that is a huge tactical disadvantage assuming you needed to protect your life or someone elses.

California is the only state that I'm aware of that you can open carry but only unloaded. There may be more but NC isn't one of them, so load it up. Seems totally useless to bother carrying an unloaded weapon.

I don't know if the risks outweigh the benefits, but the benefit of having a gun is offset somewhat by letting other people know that you do. While some of the risks involve dealings with the local constabulary, one must also consider the making of oneself into a target for criminals as well. Guns have significant financial, social, and utilitarian value especially among those who are most likely to rob a person of his or her gun.

Best of luck if you do decide to carry openly. Chances are good it won't be a problem, but it's not a choice I would make.

• Like 2

I don't know if the risks outweigh the benefits, but the benefit of having a gun is offset somewhat by letting other people know that you do. While some of the risks involve dealings with the local constabulary, one must also consider the making of oneself into a target for criminals as well. Guns have significant financial, social, and utilitarian value especially among those who are most likely to rob a person of his or her gun.

Best of luck if you do decide to carry openly. Chances are good it won't be a problem, but it's not a choice I would make.

what he said, you can get too much attention from both sides of the law

true I understand that, but then again if noone did it then they might take that right away, so I can see the appeal for people wanting to OC here in nc, there is actually quite a few groups around here that open carry, in fact most gun shops I go to at least two people have sidearms in the open. I would also think having a gun out like that would definitely heighten your sense of surroundings and individuals around you, you never know some dumb kid might think it is funny to grab it out of the holster, so I understand being a target, however in a self defense scenario I would think tactically drawing open instead fo concealed would be faster, but that is beside the point. I do have to consider where I live which is a heavily populated area and would draw more attention than say in a rural town. I guess when it comes down to it it is a choice it is much easier to cc than oc and just takes the hassle out of the whole experience. Now maybe it would be easier if I had my ccw and decided to oc every now and again just because of comfortability. Anyway I do plan on taking the course and getting it since then I will not have to apply for a permit I believe, once you have ccw you can purchase a firearm from anywhere anytime, correct?

Just remember....once it is placed into a vehicle (even if it is out in the open) it becomes concealed, so you must keep the weapon unloaded and the ammo in a separate compartment...IE gun in unloaded in glovebox and ammo in trunk.....

• Like 1

actually on the seat loaded in plain view is ok in nc, or in a holster on your hip over your shirt is considered ok and not concealed,depending on the officer, a tactical thigh holster would be as well but that is sending a whole different message to the cops. If you conceal it in a car and do not have a permit then yes you have to keep gun in trunk preferably with cable lock in it, mags in the glovebox.I have read several forums where people have been stopped while oc either with the gun on the seat in plain view or on your hip, as long as you stay calm and put your hands on the wheel, and tell them sir I have a pistol at such and such place how would you like me to proceed. cops will give you alot more respect if your straight with them. now on the hip maybe a little tough as this could constitute the officer not being able to see the gun and in his eyes is concealed so truthfully on the seat loaded or unloaded would be the easiest.NC gun laws do not differentiate between loaded and unloaded.

thanks for the reply k.t., where do you hike, since I am in nc I like to hike mt. mitchell or leconte every few years with a buddy of mine.

I live in Pa, and have family near State College, Altoona and Bloomsburg, so I hike there. I go to the Outer Banks in NC every year, but that's renting a Mcmansion for a week, so no hiking or open carry there. I do bring a side arm, but I keep it in my bedroom.

thanks for the reply k.t., where do you hike, since I am in nc I like to hike mt. mitchell or leconte every few years with a buddy of mine.

I live in Pa, and have family near State College, Altoona and Bloomsburg, so I hike there. I go to the Outer Banks in NC every year, but that's renting a Mcmansion for a week, so no hiking or open carry there. I do bring a side arm, but I keep it in my bedroom.

I'm only about an hour from Bloomsburg where do you hike out that way ??

I'm only about an hour from Bloomsburg where do you hike out that way ??

Near Mainville, just south of the river. My Aunt has a sweet lot of land there and black bears show up a lot.

I hike mt. Leconte or mt. Mitchell every 2 years or so, I have been to linville gorge which in early spring is black bear infested as well as rattle snakes. I got tired of worrying about the wildlife during the spring, so I went in the late winter in in 2010, no wildlife but the damn snow base was about 4 ft. So we were postholing everywhere we went and it was about 10 at night and just above freezing during the day.learned an intresting fact though aoparently black bears can run just as fast uphill as they can on a flat surface. Really wish I could take a sidearm next time.

I open carry pretty regularly here in Montana and have not had any issues to speak of. Wal-mart has asked me to leave the store and put my gun in my car. I told them they should post a sign that says "No firearms, please" or something, being that this is an open carry state. Other than that, nothing but a few odd looks here and there. I always have my sidearm at work in the Tattoo shop. It makes a wonderful "Politeness Stick" I suppose.

Here in Montana you CAN carry a concealed weapon WITHOUT a permit, outside of city limits, if you are "engaged in outdoor activities" such as hiking, fishing or hunting and the like.

Pretty much Awesome here.

I usually carry my 1911, my Glock 22 or my .38 special, Depending which one compliments my outfit without making my ass look too big!:lolol:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just get a carry permit and avoid a lot of headache and hassle. I don't want any one to know who I am or what I can do to them until it's too late. With a concealed carry you're just another person in the crowd. Also having a carry permit means you don't need purchase permits.

• Like 1

OC is only allowed in florida for certain things like on Private property, at a shooting range or a gun related event and in the woods hunting or camping etc. but no where else

i have a ccw and i live in miami i carry everywhere with either my 3" 1911 or my M&P 9c i have no problem concealing with shorts and a normal tshirt im not one of them trendy guys that wear tight clothes...

like today i was out all day carrying my M&P 9c in black gym shorts and a Led Zeppelin US Tour 1975 tshirt no problem at all

• 2 weeks later...

I OC every time I'm out shooting, my CZ is loaded with shotshells. Last thing I want to deal with is a disgruntled rattlesnake (again). And they're *always* disgruntled south of town where I shoot.

In town, though, I have never felt the need to carry.

The only times I have been asked about weapons in my vehicle by a police officer, I immediately answered "just the entrenching tool in the back," "a pocketknife in my left jeans pocket and a rescue knife on the visor," or "yes, sir, two rifles, two pistols, and a few swords, all in the back".*** Officer didn't even blink, just nodded and moved on to the next question.

***I was moving at the time, had all the weapons in the car.

That is my main concern is how to deal with cops if say I am out and about, I figure the best thing to do if someone called the cops, is just call the cops myself, tell them where I am at and what I look like and why I am open carrying a firearm. Then just tell them I will be waiting at such and such a place with the store manager. That would probably go a long way to making the whole ordeal alot smoother in that event. I am going to get my ccw but it is one of those things to me if there were people that did not do it then there may come a day we may no longer get too enjoy that right. I will probably start first with walking my dog on a street behind my house and see what happens, descent bit of traffic so we will see what happens when someone actually notices I am carrying.

• 6 months later...