Saiga 7.62x39 accuracy

Saiga's will generally have better accuracy than most AK's out there as a rule of thumb. Of course, there are exceptions for everything, and you can never be positive. However, it is usual for Saiga's to have better accuracy.

• Like 1

Saiga's will generally have better accuracy than most AK's out there as a rule of thumb. Of course, there are exceptions for everything, and you can never be positive. However, it is usual for Saiga's to have better accuracy.

Significantly more accurate? I was thinking of selling one of my MAK's and Norinco Hunters to fund a Saiga AK or a VEPR, but I'm not sure.

Edited by Ermac

Get a VEPR if you are looking for more accuracy, though a Saiga will do you just fine. Not sure as to what the typical specific accuracy difference is between a Saiga and any other AK, but I do know that for the most part, Saiga's are more accurate. I'm sure there are a few forum members who can tell you the specifics.

Again, I say that for a general comparison. Personally, I have heard that milled AK's tend to have better accuracy, but they are quite rare finds. In reality, Saiga's are probably more accurate than 80% if not more of the AK's out there.

Edited by CPF

But I'm wondering why that is.

Saiga's have a Russian 100 series barrel built into the gun, which is newer and more precise than older barrels. There tend to be less issues with Saiga's too, as you don't have to worry about the reciever and barrel coming from different places.

Milled recievers are literally milled from steel blocks to tighter tolerances, which gives a more precise shot. However, milled receivers are also heavier and tighter tolerances tend to mean less reliable.

I would think you'd find no significant improvement in accuracy if switching from a MAK-90 to a saiga

Agreed. All of the AKs I own shoot about the same, within a range of 3-7" at 100 yards with my shooting skills. The Saigas I have are at the tighter end of the grouping scale, but no better than a MAK or even some of the builds I've done in my basement. I can't see any significant difference between milled vs stamped vs 1.5 stamped receivers in the equation. Barrel and ammo are the deciding factors.

Get some surplus Yugo ammo and shoot it out of a VEPR if you are looking for accuracy. The heavier barrel on the RPK-based guns will group tighter to begin with and doesn't string as much when it heats up.

I would think you'd find no significant improvement in accuracy if switching from a MAK-90 to a saiga

You won't.

These aren't sub-moa rifles, the biggest improvement in accuracy will likely come from practice with a paticular rifle.

saiga's "more accurate" than 80% of other AK's? Where did you even get that figure from? made up statistic is made up. :lolol:

• Like 1

You won't.

These aren't sub-moa rifles, the biggest improvement in accuracy will likely come from practice with a paticular rifle.

saiga's "more accurate" than 80% of other AK's? Where did you even get that figure from? made up statistic is made up. :lolol:

I never said it was a statistic. I said that Saigas are probably more accurate than 80% of ak's on the US market. Seeing as at least 50 percent of these on the US market are old WASR-10's, I think that my estimate for the Saiga is correct.

I don't know why whenever someone gives an opinion they assume it is a statistic. Just because I give a percentage doesn't mean its a statistic.

Edited by CPF

You won't.

72.36% of statistics are made up! :lolol:

Are Saigas in 7.62x39 going to be more accurate then your run of the mill Romanian or Chinese AK?

Every Saiga I own with at least a 10x scope mounted (not iron sighted)and the rifle properly bench rested has consistently produced 2 MOA or less with USA made ammo.

Russian ammo produces a bit more moa size in the same guns. My Russian Vepr has been more consistently closer to 1 MOA. I'm not talking about a comparison of Joe Smith that

buys a Wasr10 or Chinese Mak90 and then proceeds to use the cheapest ammo he can find and instead of bench resting the rifle shoots standing without a scope free handed and then

decides that that is as good as it gets. That would be a rediculous evaluation and sadly I have seen people do just that at public ranges or worse pressing their hand against the barrel

and not understanding why their bolt action rifle is shooting 10 inch groups that keep shifting from point of aim. I once saw some 40 year old man shooting an sks with his son and couldn't understand why his groups would not adjust to his scope point of aim. I looked at the rifle and his scope mount was loose enough to wobble the scope a 1/4 inch. By the way, old guns with loose worn out parts and looser bores generally shoot wider groups than a new tightly fitted gun. The barrel bore does not get any tighter than when it is first made. Heavily used barrels make things much worse.

Other AK type rifles I have owned (not Saiga), have not been that precise with USA made ammo.

Edited by my762buzz
  • Like 1

But I'm wondering why that is.

Saiga's have a Russian 100 series barrel built into the gun, which is newer and more precise than older barrels. There tend to be less issues with Saiga's too, as you don't have to worry about the reciever and barrel coming from different places.

Milled recievers are literally milled from steel blocks to tighter tolerances, which gives a more precise shot. However, milled receivers are also heavier and tighter tolerances tend to mean less reliable.

I don't know if I've seen any difference between in how my milled guns shoot and my stamped guns. Less reliable? I highly doubt it.

You won't.

I never said it was a statistic. I said that Saigas are probably more accurate than 80% of ak's on the US market. Seeing as at least 50 percent of these on the US market are old WASR-10's, I think that my estimate for the Saiga is correct.

I don't know why whenever someone gives an opinion they assume it is a statistic. Just because I give a percentage doesn't mean its a statistic.

Well, having shot numerous AK's from many different positions I can't say that I found 1 brand much more accurate than another. I've shot beat up rifles with poor bores and nicked crowns that were less accurate but, by and large, all factory built AK's in good conditions are within an inch or two of eachother.

I love the "WASR-10" being thrown in too. My WASR shoots tighter groups than my buddies saiga. Is it the gun? Or is it because I've been shooting much longer than him? I promise my WASR is every bit as accurate as your saiga.

Neither of them match my Colt AR-15. Ohhh shit! lol

• Like 1

The really funny thing about comparing accuracy in AKs is that even identical guns rolling of the same arsenal assembly line will exhibit different MOA. I couldn't begin to explain why but some are definitely better shooters than others.

WASRs have the most variation in the accuracy and build quality department.

Saigas are more consistent in both regards, but there is still a rare WASR that shoots better an average Saiga. Go figure.

No matter what you do with an AK or a SKS you will always run up on the 7.62x39 limits.

SKS are generally more accurate than an AK. Some AKs are better than others but all have a intermediate round intended for 200 meters or less.

In short it was intended for auto fire under battle field conditions.

If accuracy at 300m is your priority then the 308 merits some thought, American rounds were designed with that in mind.