modding ak rail for svd mount

while having some back and forth conversation with TX-Zen, it was made aware that while the svd type scope mount will fit on your standerd ak rail if slid on from the front it may start to loosen after repeated use. i personally never had this problem with my 7.62x39, but i havent shot my .308 very much yet. so it got me to thinking what could be done without buying a new mount? the solution?

mod the rail basicly just used a dremmel to make a little channel for the posp metal stop.

100_1456.jpg

100_1458.jpg

its somewhat hard to tell the difference but look closely in the first pic youll see where material has been removed to aloow the scope to be mounted properly. dont mind the pants.

• Like 1

If it'll slide forward and has enough meat for the clamp to grab on the bottom, the nice work.

I've been thinking about notching my rail to allow my NPZ AK mount scope to move about 1/4" further forward. I'm not sure if I should though, just the top edge of the rail needs to be taken down about 1/16th for around 1/4".

If anyone knows if that's a good or bad idea leme know. I don't want to mod the optic.

Edited by Tombs

If it'll slide forward and has enough meat for the clamp to grab on the bottom, the nice work.

I've been thinking about notching my rail to allow my NPZ AK mount scope to move about 1/4" further forward. I'm not sure if I should though, just the top edge of the rail needs to be taken down about 1/16th for around 1/4".

If anyone knows if that's a good or bad idea leme know. I don't want to mod the optic.

has more than enough "meat" clamps down very tight this was done to the tabuk clone. the plus side is it wont interfere with with an ak mount if you so choose to use one.

• Like 1