of all the drums out there which is the most reliable? looking for the 20rd drum only. thx

In this type of thread, there will eventually be people coming along saying how their <insert name of other drum here> has been reliable & such...

That's true.

Many have had good luck with other drums & the pro-mag drum has proven to be pretty reliable.

But for the most durable, most proven & from my experience most reliable US made Saiga-12 mag currently on the market, period; Be it stick mag or drum mag, the MD-20 is king.

The Russian 8's can carry 3" rounds & are utterly reliable so they're in my gun at the ready, but if I didn't have russian 8's the MD-20 would be my go-to mag based on the reliability that I've experienced with them compared to other US made mags.

9/10 people on here are probably going to say the MD-20 drum. However, that doesn't mean the MD-20 is fullproof, or the other drums are unreliable. I personally have an MD-20, and have had no problems with it. I have however had issues with a couple other ProMag products, which led me to another option. I like to support the little guy too. Mike is a good guy.

But for the most durable, most proven & from my experience most reliable US made Saiga-12 mag currently on the market, period; Be it stick mag or drum mag, the MD-20 is king.

:up: this is exactly what i'm looking for.....thanks to all.

Edited by adjc
  • Like 1

I hear that the MD-20 is the best. Maybe someone will bring one to the 'Redneck Nat's' in FL and I can try one if it fits one of my S12s.

You know, some video of an MD-20 "in action" would be cool.

I hear that the MD-20 is the best. Maybe someone will bring one to the 'Redneck Nat's' in FL and I can try one if it fits one of my S12s.

Your right someone should get off there ass and make a MD-20 mag dump video, you know what would be really cool is a mag dump video using muiltiple MD-20 drums. I am sure it will never happen but I can dream.:haha:

Your right someone should get off there ass and make a MD-20 mag dump video, you know what would be really cool is a mag dump video using muiltiple MD-20 drums. I am sure it will never happen but I can dream.:haha:

Looks like this guy's MD-20s are pretty reliable. Ugly old bastard stole my damn username. Figures....

http://m.youtube.com/?rdm=4n9dh4j4u#/watch?desktop_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DPw7TcP9zXU4&v=Pw7TcP9zXU4&gl=US

I got the promag 20 round because it was cheaper and my local gun store carries them. Here was my experience:

- First time out to the range, the spring popped off (entire internal mechanism came loose and just rolled around inside the drum). Since I bought it at the range, I gave it back to them and it was a quick fix to put the spring back on, but the range trip was already a loss.

- Second time out to the range, the load assist button flew off from recoil and bounced off my chest. Local store told me to mail it in, so I did.

- Got it back about a month later and they had replaced the whole load assist assembly. Went to load it, and on inserting the third round, the entire load assist assembly snapped off the back of the drum.

- Mailed it back for service AGAIN. A month later, I got a box back with my drum in it exactly as I sent it to them, load assist assembly still broken off. It was like they just swapped the shipping label and sent it back to me.

- Called them up and (to their credit) the returns guy apologized and said he'd send me a brand new drum free of charge, but that was two weeks ago and I still haven't received it, and I'm honestly not holding my breath. I'll post here if it ever arrives.

At this point I've invested $150 in a $100 drum if you include range time and shipping, and I'm honestly not willing to continue to pay shipping fees for service not performed, so at the end of the day I paid $150 and waited 3 months just to find out that I should have bought a different drum.

To be fair, if I ever *do* get the replacement I was promised (and it doesn't break), then they'll have done right by me as far as I'm concerned, but I still wish I'd have just ordered an MD-20.

I got the promag 20 round because it was cheaper and my local gun store carries them. Here was my experience:

- First time out to the range, the spring popped off (entire internal mechanism came loose and just rolled around inside the drum). Since I bought it at the range, I gave it back to them and it was a quick fix to put the spring back on, but the range trip was already a loss.

- Second time out to the range, the load assist button flew off from recoil and bounced off my chest. Local store told me to mail it in, so I did.

- Got it back about a month later and they had replaced the whole load assist assembly. Went to load it, and on inserting the third round, the entire load assist assembly snapped off the back of the drum.

- Mailed it back for service AGAIN. A month later, I got a box back with my drum in it exactly as I sent it to them, load assist assembly still broken off. It was like they just swapped the shipping label and sent it back to me.

- Called them up and (to their credit) the returns guy apologized and said he'd send me a brand new drum free of charge, but that was two weeks ago and I still haven't received it, and I'm honestly not holding my breath. I'll post here if it ever arrives.

At this point I've invested $150 in a $100 drum if you include range time and shipping, and I'm honestly not willing to continue to pay shipping fees for service not performed, so at the end of the day I paid $150 and waited 3 months just to find out that I should have bought a different drum.

To be fair, if I ever *do* get the replacement I was promised (and it doesn't break), then they'll have done right by me as far as I'm concerned, but I still wish I'd have just ordered an MD-20.

I have 11- MD-20s that I have used and 10 of them have seen hard use over the last few months. I just bought 2 more from a member here and I am confident that they will hold up as well. There may be a few MD-20s out there that haven't been good, but my experience with them has been ideal. The MD-20 is no fluke. From my experience, they all work fine as long as your weapon is running well and you do not do anything stupid to them. My favorite mag, by far.

AA drums are great too though, they even have a new model coming out with hardened tinfoil finish

And a randomly activating hands free safety device, it works by shoving the round to high crushing the shell and preventing that round from being loaded

ITS FANTASTIC!

Edited by Joebanks