Make a foriegn stock US made?

I am in the process of looking for a fixed buttstock for my x39 saiga rifle. I will eventually buy the kvar / arsensal warsaw stock if I cant find any cheaper options.

My question is: Is it possible to reprofile or put holes in or do somethning to a foriegn make butt stock / handguard to be able to call it 'US' made? Or if its cut and sanded for the first time abroad, is it a non US parts count item of life? If we are able to do this, we all could save alot of money on stocks. Im in no way trying to skirt the laws of the united states, they are definately here for a reason. I would just like to know if I can but a dirt cheap buttstock from Bulgaria or somewhere, refinish black, put a groove in the side or put an vertical oval hole close to the end and call it US made, because I did the reshaping. Would this work? Or would it still be from bulgaria in the eyes of the law?

Edited by Boomsick42

I think you can only take and make another part, such as a pistol grip. The pistol grip would then be considered made in the U.S. I think if it stays as a butt-stock, it will still be foreign made. If I am wrong, someone please correct me.

• Like 1

The stock entered the country as a stock. Therefore no matter what you do to it, it will be a foreign made stock. The only way to convert a foreign made part into a US made part is to change what the part itself is. You cannot turn a foreign stock into a US made stock. You can turn a foreign chunk of wood into a US made stock because it did not enter the country as a stock.

That may be, deadeye. I really dont know thats why I asked. As for the other responses, that would make sense. Im not going to get into to the 'how the hell would they know if you changed its shape and called it yours' argument, because unless they are made of a country specific wood, then it just may pass. But I guess arsenal it is, If thats how the law works. Im not about pushing the legal envelope.

Edited by Boomsick42
  • 3 months later...

How would whoever inspecting identify a part as foreign if say all foreign markings where removed for instance from a wooden stock, and remarked with professional looking "made in USA"? I would think it'd be quite difficult to distinguish a refinnished stock as foreign especially when the firearm owner must be proven guilty.

What if i went to a gun show, gun shop or through private sale inadvertantly bought a refinished wooden stock that was done up as described and seemed to be US made, could the blame still be on me?