Private Dealing for Saigas: How To

I have recently found a guy online willing to sell me his saiga 12 for a decent price. I have never done a deal outside of a registered shop before so i guess i would like to know what is required so i am not only the legal owner of this gun but also that i dont end up giving this guy possibly harming personal info. He stated in our conversation that he would cover the cost of the FFL transfer. Ive heard of the FFL form but i never knew it could be used outside a registered FFL dealer but i guess thats why i am asking i am very new with dealing with personal sellers and not directly with gun shops. Also what items or info would i bring to this face to face meeting in order to ensure it is a legal transfer?

That's an awesome form, Jetmech. I was planning on doing a local FTF sale of a 10/22, and I think I'm going to use it for that. You always want documentation in case the firearm is later used in the commission of a crime.

Guess I don't understand what protection this form offers, what's the penalty for lying on it ?

It doesn't make a stolen gun un-stolen or make a criminal not a criminal.

Guess it does give attorney's something else to argue about in court.

IF you really want to do it right, insist that ALL TRANSFERS be done by an FFL.

Edited by Rock-in-A

I bought mine from a private party. Had a nice bill of sale all typed up to sign and my pen shit the bed and we were literally in the middle of nowhere in Georgia without another pen available. I had him email me one generated from his computer and using his ip address so if anyone ever came asking I could show it's origin. Then printed a copy and put it with the gun in it's case. Good enough to cover my ass legally.

I wouldn't worry about ti much, a bill of sell is not required. The FFL transfer he was talking about is not a form, he was talking about going to a dealer AKA:FFL.

so he wants both of to go through a local FFL dealer and he would pay the dealer for the transfer cost? So basically going through a third party to make it legal?

If you both are residents of the same state, you can meet face to face and do the deal yourselves. I would get a bill of sale.

If you are not residents of the same state, or you don't want to drive to meet the person (same state sale), then he has to ship the gun to an FFL holder near you.

I have done this many times. I ship the money for the purchase and freight directly to the seller. I go to my local gun store with a stamped envelope, addressed to the person I am buying the gun from. I also include a note as to the gun deal particulars in the envelope so the dealer, and the seller know what is going on. I pay the dealer $20 and he places a signed copy of his FFL in the envelope and mails it to the sellar. Once the seller has that, he ships the gun to the FFL. When the FFL gets it in, he calls me. I go to his store and fill out the regular yellow ATF form and he gives me the gun.

Edited by GKW

I have recently found a guy online willing to sell me his saiga 12 for a decent price. I have never done a deal outside of a registered shop before so i guess i would like to know what is required so i am not only the legal owner of this gun but also that i dont end up giving this guy possibly harming personal info. He stated in our conversation that he would cover the cost of the FFL transfer. Ive heard of the FFL form but i never knew it could be used outside a registered FFL dealer but i guess thats why i am asking i am very new with dealing with personal sellers and not directly with gun shops. Also what items or info would i bring to this face to face meeting in order to ensure it is a legal transfer?

State laws vary, so you'll likely get 50 different answers by asking this question on this forum.

In Oregon one can do a Face To Face transfer without any paperwork or ID whatsoever & it's perfectly legal.

In some states, records are required.

I thought the FBI had to get rid of firearms purchase records after a set amount of time? How could a gun be tracked back to it's original purchaser?

The government gets around this by requiring manufacturers and dealers to keep records for decades, thus a firearm is easily traceable.

I thought the FBI had to get rid of firearms purchase records after a set amount of time? How could a gun be tracked back to it's original purchaser?

:haha2: :haha2: :haha2: :haha2: :haha2:

Have I got a deal for you!

I'm selling this bridge, in the middle of downtown Portland.....

Records NEVER disappear once they're in our government's hands.

Juvenile convictions never get completely expunged, You ain't ever going to see the truly sensitive secrets our government holds despite the freedom of information act & sure as shit, any time you buy a gun from an FFL, or a gun is ever connected to your name in any way, that shit's not going anywhere.

We're simply lied to to placate us.

• Like 2