Cutting down a 22" barrel...

I've never cut down a barrel before, though it seems like it might be a more reasonable DIY project on a shotgun compared to a rifle. I am looking at a 22" barreld Saiga 20, but I know down the road I'm going to want a short barrel. Has anyone here chopped their barrel? how about re-threading for chokes or muzzle devices? I see that CSS has a tap for sale:

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-457/SAIGA-20-BARREL-DIE/Detail

though it's pricey for a one time use kinda thing.

I'd appreciate any advice if you've got experience with this sort of thing.

To do it "right" you should take the barrel out of the receiver and use a lathe to cut and turn it for any threading. Depending on what you want out of it and how much tooling you have really determines how much of a DIY project it is.

Edited by 20-Mags

I once cut a Rem870 Wingmaster down to Title 1 length with a pipe cutter. Marks up the bbl, ans will need a refinish if you go that way, but works fine.

I'm still trying to fine someone who did their own work on a Saiga 20 cutting the bbl to 12" while leaving the gas system factory length.

I cut my 22 down to 19.

I followed someone else's instructions and taped the barrel, marked it, put on a hose clamp as a guide and used a new sharp hacksaw blade.

After it was done I cleaned it up with a dremel, emory paper and polishing compound to get rid of the marks. Turned out great.

• Like 1

Oh don't get me wrong. I agree. Had the family machine shop not been in FL and I in SC I would have put it in a lathe. I, personally, was willing to take the risk and actually cut it at 19.5" in the event I horked it up and needed to turn it in the lathe to correct the issues.

found a relevant thread:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/56766-full-choke-to-modified/

The following quote is in regards to the 22" barrel which is a fixed full choke:

Thanks. IIRC I cut very close to .75 as well. After some grinding and filing to get the muzzle square I ended up with .608 (close to light modified or IC for a 20 gauge). Should be perfect but I haven't patterned it yet.

Edited by JK-47
  • 4 months later...

So.....visiting family for the holidays I had access to my brother's machine shop and decided to press the barrel out and re-cut the end a bit. The process I used this time was to turn a piece of Delrin into the shape of a shell with a thicker rim. I used it to press against and pressed the barrel out. I chucked the barrel in the lathe and turned a bit off to true things up. I then followed advice I found elsware and made a T shaped tool with 2 adjustable bolts that sits in the chamber so you an press the barrel in straight. The tool makes all the difference when pressing it in. The time to make it wasn't much and made pressing the barrel back in easy.

Having me had the opportunity, I highly suggest having the barrel removed and turned down if you don't have the ability to do it yourself.

• 3 weeks later...

so what is the shortest legal length for a barrel on a shotgun? I thought it was 18 inches, but read here some where about a guy having a 16.5 inch barrel.

and how do you measure, I remember reading you stick a dowel down the barrel and measure 18 inches, plus a small amount for safety.

Edited by universal_exports
  • 10 months later...

As info, I had the barrel on my Saiga 20 cut down to 16.5" then permanently affixed a Saber Boss muzzle brake. A local gunsmith in the Charlotte NC area (CMP Armory - Dallas NC) cut the barrel and welded the brake on for $40 (not including shipping or the cost of the muzzle brake). I thought that was an extremely reasonable price! Look them up on the internet if interested in their services. Good luck!