No, not another one of THOSE threads

I wouldn't pay that much for a mag either. Instead I developed a conversion for cheap mags. Glad for the honest feedback. Sure is expensive, that's just what machining costs. Cheaper cost per item would require more expensive initial cost, which no one seems to be ready to do.

I'm investigating this option since no one else will. With all the hard work and cost of machining, its advantage is the ability to do short product runs.

You guys can go ahead trying every other way to make them. Nothing's impossible with skill and effort. Question is what's the best use of time and effort? This is the sort of thing experts discuss and don't agree on. Good luck to everyone in their endeavors!

Question is what's the best use of time and effort?  This is the sort of thing experts discuss and don't agree on.  Good luck to everyone in their endeavors!

If you come out with a functional reliable high cap mag for the Saiga 308, it will sell, period. Even if a 20 rounder costs $80 and a 30 rounder costs $100.

Many of us don't have the time or equipment to do conversions of any kind. Frankly, I like the stock configuration.

The only other thing I want for this gun is a high cap mag or two.

I payed $260 for the gun, new, out the door. If I spend another $200 for functional reliable high cap mags, I'm still ahead of the game compared to any other option available in a semi-auto 308.

If you build it they will come. Bank on it. If not here, then on gunbroker or other gun auctions, where Saiga Forum members can covertly buy them without having to admit here they spent "that much money just for high-caps."

I have a .308 but would not spend that much money on a High-cap, but considering the price people are paying for 8 round 12 gauge mags I'm sure a lot of people would if the quality is good enough. I ordered a factory 30 round from Rusmilitary back when I first got my 7.62x39 and ended up doing the high-cap conversion because I thought they were too high. I guess I'm just cheap, but after all thats what got me into Saigas. Semi-automatic .308 for less than $300

Nice used AR-10 for $460????

WHAT THE FRIGGING HECK??? How many used AR-10s have you seen under a grand?

Ok, moment of insanity over. Your other comments made some sense.

Note that the Saiga 308s are assembled at MUCH higher quality than the CETMEs and with skilled shooters almost alwsys get better than 2MOA. They will hold up to all sorts of crap while the CETMEs at times crap themselves (granted there are a few good ones.)

Want a CETME, buy a CETME. But hi-cap or low-cap, folks have every reason to want a Saiga-308 over a CETME, Century FAL, Century G3, or others at a comparable price. If you have the skills to improve them if their function isn't good, that may be a factor in their favor.

If you want comparable quality AND hi-cap mags, you have to pay significantly more. The ONLY 308 semi that I can think of that I believe has the same quality/cost ratio is the $700 JLD PTR clone of the G3. Professional FAL builds I could also see forth that type of price. My humble opinion is that if you want to better the Saiga-308, that's how high you have to go if you want your money to count.

Edited by BattleRifleG3

Hay don't knock the CETME's and FAL's from century too much, we do get what we pay for with them, as long as you go into buying them knowing that they are really parts kits with new receivers. Some have problems and others dont, but I own both a CETME and L1A1/FAL from CIA, they both worked well out of the box, I will have to do more work to get them into tip top shape, but for the bang for the buck they were as cheep or cheeper than I paid for the SAIGA in 308.

I can buy CETME/G3 for less than five bucks new in wrap, and FAL mags for less than ten. Thats one reason I have both. If I had not wanted to get a variant of an AK in .308 to shoot along side of them I would have stoped with my 7.62x39 SAIGA.

We all shoot, its different strokes for different folks. Also every one has what they like , m-1 shooter swear by their guns, as fal, cetme, g3 ect.

Best thing to do really is buy them all :)

Oakie.- Great idea! One each of everything!

G O B

(P.S. Does anyone know where I can find some cubic bucks, the only reason I don't have one of everytinng YET, is the lack of cubic bucks!)

P.S. Does anyone know where I can find some cubic bucks, the only reason I don't have one of everytinng YET, is the lack of cubic bucks!

Ok... I'll bite...

what is a CUBIC BUCK???

:smoke:

Yes understand the restrictions the cash flow can put on gun buying, been there and done that, wish when I was younger I hadn't figgured out what a good deal guns were then. Now Its convinceing my singinfant other that I am buying guns, so when I get a gun or go to a gunshow, useally theres a trip to the jewlery counter or home store to get stuff for her too. I have been in the collecting mode for a while now though, just buy them when I find them at a good price and keep doing it.

Personally... I would like to know *HOW* a beltfeed system actually WORKS...

I mean... how does it pull the belt thru, and strip the round out of the links? is it like a little drive gear in there? or???

:smoke:

BRG-3  What is the feasibility of cutting 2 AK mags and welding them into an S-.308? I will have to look at that when I get home.  ( even if the foward one needs mods, it would be easier fabbing from scratch)

G O B

The 7.62x39 has a much stronger taper to the case, which is why ak mags are curved, and all the .308 battle rifle mags are straight. So if you cut two, welded them came up with a correct size follower and spring, they still wouldn't feed right.

I noticed that when I looked at the mags side by side, but the front of the AK mag will fit my reciever so maybe it might be a donor for the top front part of a "frankenmag', with the proper feedramp welded in.

G O B

• 1 month later...

Still R&Ding it, have a bit of catching up to do on standing requests for a couple mag adaptors.

Glad to see that people are still interested, that certainly does help keep things going. Hope you all can be patient. The solutions I'm trying to offer here are the kind that take a lot of work to make something that a few people want.