New saigas are to come in without a rail..

Just read though one of the informational post by a dealer and it states that new saigas that are about to come in will no longer have side rails. Furthermore, I just looked at some stock pictures at another distributor webpage and sure enough it shows the saiga 12 without a rail?

WTF have anyone heard about this?

Just read though one of the informational post by a dealer and it states that new saigas that are about to come in will no longer have side rails. Furthermore, I just looked at some stock pictures at another distributor webpage and sure enough it shows the saiga 12 without a rail?

WTF have anyone heard about this?

For all calibers, or just the 12 gauge?

I do not think any of the 24" models ever had a side rail that we had. We have new 19" coming in next week and I will check and see what they have.

My first S12 was a 24" and that one had a side rail.. I think this is something new...

Read this:

"DATELINE JULY 22nd 2011

WE HAVE SOME BAD NEWS, SOME GOOD NEWS, SOME MORE BAD NEWS, AND ULTIMATELY SOME REALLY GOOD NEWS, CONCERNING THE SAIGA 12 GAUGE SHOTGUNS

FIRST THE BAD NEWS

AS OF TODAY, JULY 22nd, 2011, WE ARE OUT OF STANDARD SAIGA 12 GAUGE SHOTGUNS. WE KEPT THE PRICE AS LOW AS WE COULD, FOR AS LONG AS WE COULD, AND ULTIMATELY WE RAN OUT. IF YOU HAVE ONE OF THESE ON ORDER AS OF TODAY YOU WILL RECEIVE IT. HOWEVER, WE ARE NOW OUT.

NOW THE GOOD NEWS

THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT WE WILL BE RECEIVING ANOTHER SHIPMENT, FROM A DIFFERENT IMPORTER,

IN APPROXIMATELY 2 WEEKS. THESE WILL STILL HAVE THE SIDE RAILS ON THE RECEIVERS,

( MORE ON THAT LATER), JUST LIKE OUR PREVIOUS BATCH, AND WILL OF COURSE BE NEW IN THE BOX WITH ALL THE ACCESSORIES. WE ARE EXCITED TO BE GETTING THESE AS THEY ARE TRULY DRYING UP AND HAVE BEEN A GREAT SELLER FOR US WITHOUT LOSING THEIR HEAT. I WISH WE COULD MAINTAIN THESE ALWAYS BUT WE ARE THRILLED TO HAVE ACCESS TO MORE IN 2 WEEKS. WE WILL CONTINUE TO TAKE PRE ORDERS ON THEM AND THEY WILL SHIP OUT UPON ARRIVAL.

NOW THE BAD NEWS, THE RUSSIANS ARE SAVY TO THE U.S. MARKET AND AS WE HAVE BEEN BEING TOLD ALL ALONG THEY ARE INCREASING THE PRICE OF THESE WEAPONS TO THE IMPORTERS AND HENCE THE PRICE IS GOING UP TO US. WE ARE DOING ALL WE CAN TO HOLD THE PRICE ON THESE BUT WE HAVE TO PASS AT LEAST A PORTION OF THE INCREASE ALONG TO THE CUSTOMER. AS SUCH, WE ARE FORCED TO PASS ALONG A $50.00 INCREASE.

THE NEW PRICE ON THESE, AT LEAST UNTIL THERE IS ANOTHER INCREASE, WILL BE $xxxxxx

NOW FOR THE BEST NEWS, FOR SOME REASON THE A.T.F. IS REALLY CONCERNED ABOUT SIDE RAILS ON THESE GUNS, I REALLY DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT BUT MINE IS NOT TO QUESTION WHY. I DO KNOW THAT THE IMPORTERS ARE TELLING US THAT ALL OF THE FORM 6 IMPORT PERMITS THAT HAVE BEEN TURNED IN HAVE BEEN REJECTED AND THEY ARE HAVING TO MODIFY THE FIREARMS TO OMIT THE SIDE RAIL

BEFORE SUBMITTING NEW SAMPLES AND NEW FORM 6's, SO IT MAY BE A WHILE, IF EVER, BEFORE THESE ARE PLENTIFUL AGAIN. THE BATCH WE ARE RECEIVING ARE

GRANDFATHERED AND DO HAVE SIDE RAILS AND 19" BARRELS."

I hope they leave the rail. It does add value and it is classic AK, to me. It is better to have it and not use it than to not have it at all. Now if you don't want it you can remove it, that is up to the individual and is a personal preference I can understand. JM2C

I'm happy about it. Hate the side rail.

Why? It shows quality and gives you more options. Just take it off if you don't want it. Don't make the rest of us suffer for your opinion (Though in reality the BATFE really couldn't care less what we think).

Its like saying you hate the bolt hold open button. Don't like it? Take it out. But it sure adds to the niceness of the Saiga platform.

I don't see the point on 19" and under Saiga 12s, for my intended purposes. I have 2 24" S12s. They both came with siderails and I will not remove them for the simple fact that I may actually want to mount an optic in the future. I removed the rails from my 109s and have been keeping them for some reason unknown, until now. I can sell them ;)

Well the Russians are going to get a lesson in economics, becasue of greed on their end the MKA 1919 is going to steam roll Saiga sales if the Turks can make enough of them. Saiga's will pile up at the importers. While the MKA 1919 flys off the shelf.

I can't wait to see this play out.

Evl, how hard are they to remove and put on?

I remove mine without blemishing them at all and it takes some patience. Not too hard though. My techniques are a bit more meticulous than most. I'm sure that putting one back on is fairly easy if you have the tools to install the rivets and drill the holes in the receiver.

• Like 1

The side rail doesn't make sense on a shotgun. It is for mounting a scope, which is a long-range sighting system.

The AK platform has a wide variety of optic solutions, many of them are red dot's which as Deussne said (and I agree) is quite useful on the S12

1P76-Z-S12_Rakurs_PartizanSummer.JPG

The side rail has been an important part of the AK since it's inception and has been standard production on almost all AK's for over 20 years now. Just because we in the US don't know much about the rail or how useful it is doesn't mean it's a good idea that it's gone.

Z

• Like 4

Why? It shows quality and gives you more options. Just take it off if you don't want it. Don't make the rest of us suffer for your opinion (Though in reality the BATFE really couldn't care less what we think).

Its like saying you hate the bolt hold open button. Don't like it? Take it out. But it sure adds to the niceness of the Saiga platform.

How does it show quality?

I bet it gets in the way for most people. Doubt a majority uses it.

The side rail doesn't make sense on a shotgun. It is for mounting a scope, which is a long-range sighting system.

The AK platform has a wide variety of optic solutions, many of them are red dot's which as Deussne said (and I agree) is quite useful on the S12

http://zenphotos.net/file/Online/SVD/Optics/1P76-Z-S12_Rakurs_PartizanSummer.JPG

The side rail has been an important part of the AK since it's inception and has been standard production on almost all AK's for over 20 years now. Just because we in the US don't know much about the rail or how useful it is doesn't mean it's a good idea that it's gone.

Z

I'd like to see some evidence that the AK was designed with the side mount.

Where did he say the AK was designed with the side rail? Re read the post. IMO the side rail can be very useful on ANY AK, including the shotguns. Like Evl said it's also very easy to remove if you don't like it for any reason (like if you do a UF conversion for instance).

• Like 1