Interchangeability saiga 5.45 vs ak74

Saiga bolts and carriers are AK100 only as far as I have ever heard.

The gas piston is an AK100 piston, but I have an AK74 piston in mine and it works, just make sure you get the length correct.

Trigger, hammer, disconnector, furniture, and magazine latch stuff is all good to go from any AKM/AK74/AK100

What parts on a saiga 5.45x39 are interchangeable or not interchangeable with those from an ak74??? I'd like to have some spare parts on hand in case something breaks and want to make sure I'm not getting a non-fitting part

Funny. I was wondering this last night and decided to go look for a list or spreadsheet before I posted. Couldn't find one though.

Probably the best way to go about this would be to buy parts from places that have a decent return policy.

If folks can confirm what foreign/surplus parts work in their guns, I'd be happy to compile the info into a spreadsheet for public use.

Also I think headspacing was taken care of when the rifle was originally built correctly by the Russians. Although technically you should check head spacing, the chances of the bolt not locking properly are slim. So more or less it is a plug and go piece. If it wasn't, that would mean every AK needing a bolt replacement would have to be rebuilt from the front trunnion/barrel junction.

Even with the headspacing, would an ak74 bolt, recoil spring, and bolt carrier work in a saiga 5.45x39? This is my main issue. I would just like some spare parts on hand that if nothing else, I could pass down to my kids in case the rifle were to need parts replaced within their lifetime.

Even with the headspacing, would an ak74 bolt, recoil spring, and bolt carrier work in a saiga 5.45x39? This is my main issue. I would just like some spare parts on hand that if nothing else, I could pass down to my kids in case the rifle were to need parts replaced within their lifetime.

I say yes with caution that one should head space the bolt, but like I stated before, it is not 100% needed. You should expect a plug and play kinda deal. Especially with the bolt carrier and spring.

Carrier and spring, yes, Bolt, no. It is not a drop and go affair.

The bolt breaking is rare if I had to guess... what one would expect to replace first would be a firing pin and/or extractor. Am I right? That way, you could have pertinent replacement parts without the headspacing variable in the equation of replacement parts?

Basically, to keep your saiga "passable" to other generations without them worrying about taking the gun apart, one should have recoil springs, carriers, piston, ejectors and springs, and firing pins?

Bingo. I wouldn't worry about the piston or carrier either though.

I'd personally keep a spare set of every spring (don't forget the disconnector), a firing pin (retainer because hey, we all loose things), extractor, and that's it.

My United States Rifle, Caliber .30, M1 shoots a much more potent cartridge than the Saiga 5.45x39, uses 2 locking lugs, and is a long stroke piston operated rifle. A set of springs and she's shooting like new. Not bad for a rifle made in 1955 :killer:

If you're just looking to buy spare parts..

http://www.k-var.com...&cat=279&page=1

http://www.k-var.com...&cat=277&page=1

Pricey, but the only readily available source for Saiga specific bolts / carriers as far as I know.

Edit: Also, for twice the cost of those 2 items alone you could buy a complete spare Saiga. Just sayin'.

Edited by KC913
  • 3 weeks later...

My United States Rifle, Caliber .30, M1 shoots a much more potent cartridge than the Saiga 5.45x39, uses 2 locking lugs, and is a long stroke piston operated rifle. A set of springs and she's shooting like new. Not bad for a rifle made in 1955 :killer:

God bless John Garand.

Congrats on owning the "greatest single battle implement ever devised by man."

You can too.

http://thecmp.org/ (click on sales, left hand side, then rifle sales - can also buy ammo from them at pretty good prices!)

Not that easy... You need to first be a member of the CMP to order from them. That entails qualifying at a local shooting club that is registered with the CMP... Or know someone that is a CMP member and a C&R license holder and have the rifle shipped directly to your friend's house. 027.gif

I shot one for the first time about a month ago. She was an original Winchester Garand made in 1941.

No, you have to be a member of an affiliated club. There are hundreds that cost about 20 per year. You must have taken a firearms training course (ohio ccw works, fir example, or attend an Appleseed shoot). Also you must be a US citizen.

I bought mine this way last year. I didn't call up and mail order, picked mine out. You do NOT need a C/R for mail order.

No, you have to be a member of an affiliated club. There are hundreds that cost about 20 per year. You must have taken a firearms training course (ohio ccw works, fir example, or attend an Appleseed shoot). Also you must be a US citizen.

I bought mine this way last year. I didn't call up and mail order, picked mine out. You do NOT need a C/R for mail order.

Hrm.... I said the easiest way to obtain one IMO is to know someone that is a CMP member and a C&R holder and ask them to order you one... I have several friends with these credentials. And you do need to have a C&R to get the gun shipped to your house, otherwise you have to go and pick the rifle out in person.