Last Round Bolt Hold Open Concerns

Long second post. I hope to contribute to the community as I have already lurked on here for about 1 week trying to soak up as much knowledge as possible.

I just graduated with my masters in mechanical engineering and I wanted a challenge. Especially since I am only part time employed at the moment. I have worked in a few different areas, but that has always just been to fund my engineering hobbies. This is to be my newest personal challenge. I'm not saying I will succeed but at the moment, I have no girl friend and I can't afford to run my race car at the track so I am going to give it a try. In light of this...

I just purchased a saiga 223. Picked it up today. Tried to do my homework beforehand and from everything I read there is no LRBHO (last round bolt hold open). I want to design one. Possibly make the design public if it ends up being safe and easy enough for people to do with a good walk through.

My first and primary concern/question is with magazines. This particular gun it seems can take a myriad of mags. The first one that comes to mind as being easiest for me to design a LRBHO for is an AR15 mag using the MSA conversion well, since the AR mags already have a nice provision for this.

This is my first AK style firearm though so I will need some help with information as you guys seem to know these guns in and out. Do any other mags possibly have something that could be used without modification or only minimal modification to be used as an easy access catch for this purpose?

I like to make very robust solutions with minimal amount of modifications necessary to preserve/increase reliability as much as possible. So if there are any AK style mags that might work, if you would be kind enough to post a link/description so I can try to get ahold of one to look it over take measurements,etc. Or reasons you think looking into a particular magazine would be a good idea (such as most popular, reliable etc.) I have read up on this but I am have trouble coming to a good conclusion as to which AK style mag is the best (reliable) and in the broadest use (most popular).

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Long second post. I hope to contribute to the community as I have already lurked on here for about 1 week trying to soak up as much knowledge as possible.

I just graduated with my masters in mechanical engineering and I wanted a challenge. Especially since I am only part time employed at the moment. I have worked in a few different areas, but that has always just been to fund my engineering hobbies. This is to be my newest personal challenge. I'm not saying I will succeed but at the moment, I have no girl friend and I can't afford to run my race car at the track so I am going to give it a try. In light of this...

I just purchased a saiga 223. Picked it up today. Tried to do my homework beforehand and from everything I read there is no LRBHO (last round bolt hold open). I want to design one. Possibly make the design public if it ends up being safe and easy enough for people to do with a good walk through.

My first and primary concern/question is with magazines. This particular gun it seems can take a myriad of mags. The first one that comes to mind as being easiest for me to design a LRBHO for is an AR15 mag using the MSA conversion well, since the AR mags already have a nice provision for this.

This is my first AK style firearm though so I will need some help with information as you guys seem to know these guns in and out. Do any other mags possibly have something that could be used without modification or only minimal modification to be used as an easy access catch for this purpose?

I like to make very robust solutions with minimal amount of modifications necessary to preserve/increase reliability as much as possible. So if there are any AK style mags that might work, if you would be kind enough to post a link/description so I can try to get ahold of one to look it over take measurements,etc. Or reasons you think looking into a particular magazine would be a good idea (such as most popular, reliable etc.) I have read up on this but I am have trouble coming to a good conclusion as to which AK style mag is the best (reliable) and in the broadest use (most popular).

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Not sure that you'll be able to get a clear answer on which mag to use. There seems to be no clear choice from the many posts and conversations concerning magazines and the bullet guide or no bullet guide issue. One issue you'll face with alot of metal mags is that many are military surplus and when they are gone there gone. So when the supply runs out most the time you can only find them second hand. Bulgy circle ten's seem to be fairly popular but they are old military surplus and not always easy to find these days.

You may want to work from the factory ten round magazine, and that way the application could be used in every state since not all state permit more than a 10 round capacity. (I refrain from using the term high cap as defined by the ATF)

Along the lines of the MSA and AR 15 magazine LRBHO, this is already being pursued as a unit with the release of the BASTARD system from MSA. I could only assume that MSA could modify their design to make a LRBHO for their own AR Mag Adapter (Link here for your consideration http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/64486-bastard/ ). I like the idea of making it for the standard mag. everybody has one of those and it maybe cross platform (i.e. .223, 5.45, and 7.62). That's just my cents

Thanks for the feedback guys. So far I have converted my gun. Trigger set should be in tomorrow.

So far I have a preliminary design that I believe will work with a OEM 10 rounder and a Galil steel I picked up from a local gun store here.

I have to wait to crank out a test piece till my cnc friend gets back in town. I will keep you all posted.

While I haven't seen the MSA adapter in person I do believe that this one might be able to work with their existing adapters as well(with minor adjusting but I can design this into it).

I'm not a gunsmith and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but Surefire Saiga magazines come with their own integrated LRBHO that's part of the follower.

http://www.mississip...zine-p-142.html

I have seen that WhiteRabbit. I am looking along the lines of something that actually continues holding the bolt open until it is manually released or another mag is inserted.

Along the lines of the MSA and AR 15 magazine LRBHO, this is already being pursued as a unit with the release of the BASTARD system from MSA. I could only assume that MSA could modify their design to make a LRBHO for their own AR Mag Adapter (Link here for your consideration http://forum.saiga-1.../64486-bastard/ ). I like the idea of making it for the standard mag. everybody has one of those and it maybe cross platform (i.e. .223, 5.45, and 7.62). That's just my cents

Thanks for the heads up. It looks like MSA makes a good product and has good service. I'll just stick to looking at AK style mags... for now.

Their BASTARD mod is curious... I have a full M4 CAD model and I could probably whip a saiga model up pretty quick. Using AR parts would feel like cheating to me though. I like a challenge. The one thing about their first adapter is I prefer the standard M4 style release. Seems a smarter move as it keeps it compatible with all existing parts that can be bought of the shelf. And if they keep it within proper specs would be compatible with everything AR. Now you have me curious as to how much time I can get on the CNC.