Folding stock technology since 2008-2009?

From what I've read (and I've read a lot!) here and elsewhere, my Arsenal SGL21 is a stamped receiver which means to have a proper side folder on it I'd have to cut the tang or it will have that "ACE-look" which I'm not a big fan of... at all.

After searching extensively in the forum (the 4 letter word minimum in search is a pain in the arse on a gun forum, btw), I don't see much movement in options since 2008-2009. The one I'm most fascinated with at the moment is the Mako M4-AK but I can't find much in the way of opinions on both the quality and - surprise! - what the heck it looks like folded over and if impedes use of the rifle in any way.

Anyone have any opinions or pictures? Alternatives?

Thanks!

The slickest option, and best IMO is the russian trunnion swap. You do not need to cut the tank, but in fact replace the trunnion.

Hey cake,

Maybe its late & my brain has stopped, but ....

what trunnion are you swapping to use a folder?

Only options Im thinking of are the reciever made, or cut for an AK100/triangle setup, or an internal block & folding mechanism for mounting an aftermarket stock,

leaving just those really ugly, awkward looking folding stocks that stick out beyond the reciever/trunnion.

Pics' or links if handy.

TIA

Harv

The slickest option, and best IMO is the russian trunnion swap. You do not need to cut the tank, but in fact replace the trunnion.

Hey cake,

Maybe its late & my brain has stopped, but ....

what trunnion are you swapping to use a folder?

Only options Im thinking of are the reciever made, or cut for an AK100/triangle setup, or an internal block & folding mechanism for mounting an aftermarket stock,

leaving just those really ugly, awkward looking folding stocks that stick out beyond the reciever/trunnion.

Pics' or links if handy.

TIA

Harv

The rear trunnion will be replaced with a Russian unit. Same as in their folders like you are thinking. Same thing the triangle and 100 series stock use. It requires cutting the receiver to fit, and to rivet the new trunnion in.

trunnion.jpg

Rearhinge.jpg

pix167251890.jpg

Edited by beefcakeb0
  • Like 2

The rear trunnion will be replaced with a Russian unit. Same as in their folders like you are thinking. Same thing the triangle and 100 series stock use. It requires cutting the receiver to fit, and to rivet the new trunnion in.

Is the "cutting and fitting" something the average Joe can do with hand tools, or is this a machine shop job?

Is the "cutting and fitting" something the average Joe can do with hand tools, or is this a machine shop job?

For the AK100 or AK74su side folders to work, you gonna have to have a notch cut into the side of the receiver for the folder to lock into. Those that are really good with tools and experience could probably do it but, I'd recommend getting a gunsmith to do it especially if this will be your first one. Whichever way you go, they do feel nice.