Ok... so yall have been wanting to see some holes in paper... I have a couple that were worthy to show... and not by much... let me tell you...

So far I am *NOT overly impressed* with the accuracy I am getting from the 662 Grain Military FMJ... Part of the problem is the EXTREMELY heavy trigger pull... Its HEAVY... If it were MUCH lighter, say in the 4-6 pound range, I think I could tighten up the groups to HALF what I am getting now... and I will *HAVE TO* get trigger work done before I can do any truly accurate LONG RANGE shooting ( read as over 500 meters ).

SO... first things first... I need to get the trigger pull lightened, and then I am going to have to drop a load and buy some match ammo, I guess, at like 3-5 bucks a round and really test this puppy out... See what flavor suits it, and then go from there for the reloading... and load what it likes.

I know its shooting a bit to the right, in the images... I fixed that slightly, but didnt keep that target as I wasnt really shooting for groups by then... just getting it dialed in.

The groups arent the BEST... as I said, I think the rifle can do MUCH better... but the problem for now is with me, and a VERY heavy trigger.

The optics I purchased are from Sportsmans Guide. It is one of their "GUIDE GEAR" scopes, that normally list for about $300.00... they had em on sale, and I grabbed one up for $260.00 including shipping. When it came, I was suprised to see it was a BARSKA... as there was NO NAME advertised in the catalogue.

It is a 10x-40x X 50MM side focus, w/ Illuminated Mil-dot reticle and 1/8th inch MOA click turrets. Came with rings, and flip up scope covers, and a nice sunshade.

At the lower powers, the optics are VERY bright, and clear... the reticle is nice. So far it seems to hold zero adequately. The downsides I have noticed so far is that the scope picture at 40X tends to be a little bit SMALLER than I would expect, not the FOV... but the actual ring of vision thru the scope itself. Maybe thats just inherent to ANY high power optic?? Also, when at 40X it seems that sometimes the side focus binds up a teeny bit... so I have to zoom back to 10X, refocus, and then zoom back out...

Again... this is my FIRST side focus scope, and I am not familiar with what is inherent to the design, or what is just possibly a flaw...

It also is VERY succeptible to heat mirage... our weather here the past few weeks has been in the mid 80's to mid 100's... averaging in the mid 90's, with VERY high humidity, so shooting has been LESS than pleasant... and heat mirage, I know, is common to most high power optics.

Anything else I can think of, I will add on later if it pops into my noggin...:D

:smoke:

50bmggroup100m.jpg

50bmggroup2100m.jpg

Edited by IndyArms

According to the local guys who run the big .50's, the bullets are not really stable until you get past 200 yards or so. Of course, that might be an excuse for why he was shooting wussy 2" groups at 100 and has "match" groups of 6" at 1,000 :)

Alex

Wakal: I've heard the same thing is said by Sierra about some of their 30 claiber match bullets. Apparently, some of them will group tighter at 200 yards than at 100 yards. I haven't seen it for myself, so take it for what you will.

According to the local guys who run the big .50's, the bullets are not really stable until you get past 200 yards or so.

*REALLY!?!??!!??*

Well now... THAT is interesting to learn, and will CERTAINLY call for more range testing, now.... :up:

Thanks for that delightful tidbit of INFO... I will have to put that notion to the test, and may help me to quit wondering about the "not so great" 100 meter groups...

Sweet....

:smoke:

Try to shoot in the morning. Less mirage. Some side focus models can be sensitive about forward scope ring tightness. Might try loosening the screws a bit. I'd probably stick to 10x-12x for a bit while you're working out the range and load.

yeah, heat mirage is hard to get around when it's hot & humid. It's good for judging cross winds though (for your long shots)

I seen a .50 cal competition on Discovery where these guys were shooting down to 4" groups at 1000 yards!!!

I'd think with some more practice you should be able to hold less than 1 moa with it. Although the trigger may be the culprit...