Ok... heres some pics of the rifle with the new optics installed...

Sorry that the last one is kinda blurry, seems the digicam likes to auto-focus on something other than what I want it to... LOL

:smoke:

50bmgwscope1b.jpg

50bmgwscope2b.jpg

50wscope3.jpg

Edited by IndyArms

Thank you! :)

Tomorrow, It might be going to the gun-doctor for some trigger work...

Will keep posted of how things go...

With luck I can get the super heavy trigger reduced to something more manageable.. in the 4-7 pound range... so I can actually have it go off when I want it to...

Ok... the *ONLY* video I have so far... and without sound as well, cause it was made with my little olympus digital camera...

is posted on HERE...

http://members.fortunecity.com/sarcastro/

Open that page up....

right click on "MANTISMISSILESHOT2" and "save as" ...

You will be downloading a movie file P1010032.MOV

you will need quicktime to view it... its about a 30 second clip thats close to 8 megs in size. I can download it on cable in about 10 seconds... Fortunecity crams it to you at close to 300Kbps!

It was ***THE FIRST SHOT*** with the 50... and yeah, I have that "grin" LOL....

As I get some more time and ability to take other vids, I will, and I will post them and keep yall updated... sorry thats all there is for now...

Edited by IndyArms

I tell ya what... I have NOT shot this one without the brake on it... although it probably wouldnt be horriffic... I will just keep it on when I shoot! LOL

That guy in the vid looked like he was about as big around as my arm... and even without, that .50 didnt seem to kick him TOO BAD...

Ok.... Ok... next time I go, I will... *IF* there is someone there to work the camera, to get before and after pics as well...

similar to the ones shown earlier...:D

You may have already asked this, but who made the rifle? I know you've said it has a (heavy) Mauser action, but I'm not sure if I ever read who actually made the gun. I'd kinda like to know where I could get one ;)

I told before... and everyone CRINGED....

Its made by Vulcan. ( aka HESSE)

personally... I think its a VERY nice rifle... no problems at all with it. its not a 5000 dollar barrett or armalite, nor is it a 8000 dollar steyr....

I paid $1700, came with bipod and case, 20 bucks for shipping...

I think I got a good deal. :)

Check gunbroker do a search for .50 BMG... and if you see any by a miss bell... buy from her. I got this from some other dude... she was going to offer me free shipping but I had already bought... shes got other colors than the other guy does... he had the green ones like mine, shes got the grey and brown stocked ones...

same price!

• 4 weeks later...

What's the latest on the BMG Indy? I think last time you were still trying to get ammo and distances worked out, not to mention the trigger work done. Any changes?

Also, is your stock wood? Are there any that aren't wood? Does heat/humidity warp it at all that you can tell?

What's the latest on the BMG Indy? I think last time you were still trying to get ammo and distances worked out, not to mention the trigger work done. Any changes?

Also, is your stock wood? Are there any that aren't wood? Does heat/humidity warp it at all that you can tell?

It goes in tomorrow to be checked by the gunsmith... hes ONLY available on TUESDAY MORNINGS... and I have morning trap league, so its touch and go...

still only shooting reworked mil stuff... from Talon.. wont probbaly START the reloading till after the gunshow next month, *IF* I can find any powder and primers for it there....

The stock is a laminated wood, and I havent noticed any tweaks with it, as far as heat or humidity...

Yes, there are some with aluminum stocks, too.. for even LESS than I paid for mine... and mine was CHEAP...

heres one for 1400 no reserve, BIN for 1700...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=36249324

here are the ones like mine jut in other colors... the Seller of this auction is a real cockwaffle.. as you cant bid unless you got 5 + feedback on Auctionarms.. what a schmoe...

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayi...itemnum=6837923

And here... an ARMALITE... probably the CHEAPEST ONE YOU WILL EVER SEE...at $2700.00

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayi...itemnum=6907612

ive been eyeballing the ar50 at my local shop for 2600 bucks....dont have the cash right now, BUT....heheh.......MAYBE ill have to go get a small loan and say F it. what do you think a NY banker will tell me when i say "yeh, uh, its for a 50 caliber rifle and a couple hundred rounds" ??

As long as your credit is *good*, and the interest rate suits him, he will say... "Mr B., Would you like me to help you carry that to your CAR???"

Money talks... :D

I would snag one up dude... you KNOW you want one!!!

Make it a BIRTHDAY PRESENT to yourself!!!!

Well, it cost me 30 bucks... and he didnt do anything that *I* wouldnt have felt confident doing... needless to say I was kinda pissed about that, but oh well, ya live ya learn...

He got it crisper and smoother, and maybe knocked about 4 pounds off it...

The problem is the super heavy duty spring in the bolt for the firing pin... that is under so much tension, that he doesnt think you could *EVER* get the trigger to a "light weight".... without removing spring coils on the firing pin spring, and then you run the risk of being unable to actually hit the primer hard enough to make it go off....

So... I guess its as good as its going to get... I may tweak it a little more myself... and see if I cant get it a *LITTLE better*... we will see...

The trigger itself is not the issue, its the tension that the firing pin spring places ON the trigger release mechanism...

I shot it today and it was *MUCH BETTER*

Unfortunately I FORGOT TO BRING AMMO with me, and I only had 5 rounds in my range box... so thats all I shot today... I will have it out again tomorrow to see what it will do with some more serious group trials... other than just "hows the trigger feel when I shoot" bullshnikey

• 2 months later...

OK.... ***IGNORE*** MY PREVIOUS POST in response to Aegis!!!!!

I was mistaken about how it works in there... and YES... you CAN install a drop in trigger, and YES, Aegis.. you were totally CORRECT!!! KUDOS to you!!!! I wish I NEVER even bothered to take it to the gunsmith for work... that was a WASTE of my cash... Because...

LAST NIGHT...

I installed a NEW TRIGGER!!!

I put in a Timney Trigger in this bad boy... Took the HORRIBLE trigger pull from "stupid poundage", down to a more manageable 1.5 lbs of trigger pull!!!

Talk about SWEET!!!! :up::up:

This has given my .50 a NEW lease on life, and CERTAINLY makes it FAR more easy to shoot!!!

When lining up the crosshairs... instead of having to SQUEEZE and hope you can hold it still... I just have to touch the trigger and think about it going off... and with ever so little effort... ***BOOOM***

The Timney I bought fits any 98 mauser action, and required just a tiny bit of stock removal under the rear end of the trigger mechanism. It fits and functions flawlessly... least so far with 5 rounds thru it today it did!! hehehe

I was at the range, sighting in on very small rocks... **BOOM** dustcloud!!!!

Ya GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!!

How much for a setup like mine... ballpark figures... I can do better, I can almost give you the EXACT total...

Rifle, with bipod, and a cheap case ( like you get at bass pro) $1700.00

Shipping on Rifle $25.00

FFL X-fer $10.00

That specific optic... a Barska ( AKA Guide gear) 10x-40x X 50 MM illuminated mil dot reticle, side focus... $300.00 ( thats the going price...Although I got mine on sale one time for $259.99 + shipping)

New case ( 60" Inside length - "TZ" case at sportsmans guide including shipping) $110.00

Timney Trigger ( fits any 98 mauser without safety) $35.00

Ammo... ( sportsmans guide deal... 150 rounds) $160.00 ( I got free shipping as aI renewed my membership!)

Lee reloading press for .50 BMG plus .50 BMG die set and all extras to do other shells too.. $140.00 ( includes shipping)

so lets total it all up...

$1700.00

$0025.00

$0010.00

$0300.00

$0110.00

$0035.00

$0160.00

$0140.00

-----------

$2480.00

So... for less than $2500, you can have a complete setup... EVERYTHING... not JUST a rifle... or just this and that... but everything you need for the .50 bmg... :up:

and of course, you can buy it a little here and a little there, so its not like you are out the whole chunk all at once... those exact rifles are selling right now on Gunbroker for $1640.00 but they DO NOT Come with the cheap bipod and case... NO BIG loss... my NEXT purchase for this will be a GOOD bipod...

Hope that helps!!!

4 1/4 years?!?!? Well then... no time like the present to grab up one of them big water jugs, and start tossing all your spare change into it daily... who knows... toss a few green backs into it now and then.. label the jar the "Fiddy Fund", and by the time you get to opening it up to count it, you may be able to afford a real sweet .50 BMG... like a Barret or a Steyr... :up: