7.62X39 Range Report

Well, at the range today... where I SPENT MY DAY... literally... I was there from 10:30 AM till 5:00 PM... Shot off a bunch of rounds in quite a few different flavors...

The 50 performed adequately... <_ the ruger was punching one big hole with rounds at src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_032.gif" alt=":up:"> , the Ar-15 was so-so with the wolf FMJ :evil: , the Romanian PSL was so-so with the Czeck "Silver Tip" :( ... and the WASR-10... well... a half a dozen 30 round bumpfires over the course of the day was all I ask of that!! :up::wub:

The Saiga 7.62X39, however... with Wolf 154 Grain Soft Points... seemed to perform EXCELLENTLY... at least as far as I was concerned, with iron sights, at both the 50 and 100 meter ranges. :up: :up:

See for yourself!!

The groups I thought were VERY good, for open sight shooting and the flier in the 100 M. Group was my bad... I jerked it JUST as I squeezed the trigger... :evil:

No help for it, the bullet was already travelling downrange in a hurry, and I couldnt get its attention to have it return to the rifle, and try again... so I just let it hit where it was going to...

Ah well... more practice I guess... :D

:smoke:

762group50m.jpg

762group100m.jpg

Not bad shooting Indy. Pretty good ammo for the price too. Wolf is OK. Not the best but pretty darn good for the money and the application. As you said it is not sniper material but when you need to sling lead at a human target 100 meters or less it will get the job done. :super:

I was at the range on wednesday, had to zero my new red dot. But anyway at 50 yards with Barnaul 123gr FMJ I put 6 consecutive rounds in the bullseye standing unsupported the other 3 were in the 9 ring and 1 in the 8 ring. I wish I would have saved that target.

I wish I would have saved that target.

Hell yeah... me too!! thats some DAMN FINE SHOOTIN...

Lee harvey Oswald would have been done proud!!!!

Well I heard Lee was a crack shot with a bolt action but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with one of those commie AK's. Apparently he had some practice while in the Soviet Union but couldn't qualify on the range. That's why his co-conspirators (who set the dumb shit up) gave him the bolt action for the Kennedy job. :rolleyes:

Ummm ... Lee H. Oswald wasn't much of a shot with an M-1 either.

He never qualified over USMC Marksman (185-219 out of 250 in those days, including 500 yards.)

Used to see him in the Coffee shop at the El Toro Tower, a couple of times a week.

Don't recall we ever spoke though.

Always found it interesting that he worked Air Traffic Control at a base that serviced U-2's on a fairly regular basis.

Then he moved to Russia, came back and killed a President.

Always found that to be just a tad hard to swallow.

Our security checks always seemed more thorough than that, to me at least.

BTW, Nice shooting , both of you!

Regards

Umm.... I really only said that as a twisted bit of humor... didnt realize I was going to get the lo down on him... BUT...

You actually used to see him where he'd hang out? thats kinda cool in an offhand sort of way...

Thanks for the compliment... I will only strive to do better...:D

Not that age matters to me, 5knives... but since you were there...back-in-the-day so to speak... you must have a few years on most of the folks that frequent this forum...

Good to see some older fellows enjoying that love we have come to call "Saiga"!

I know I get a lot of "looks" from the older fellas at the sportsmans club I shoot at when I rip out something black and evil... LOL

Well, look at McVeigh.. served in Desert Storm, blew up a Federal Building...

Most "infamous" person I've "met" was O.J Simpson. When he walked into the resturant ( Chicken Kitchen, similar in nature to Boston-Market ).. half the people were like "Hey OJ!" and the other half, you could see muttering.. "murderer..."