Well, in the last few days Mt. Pleasant has had some interesting events.. Group of young black males with bandanas over their faces have committed FOUR armed robberies in the last month. Harris Teeter, Food Lion, Bilo, (grocery stores) and a restuarant. I have the misfortune to be working in a store in the vicinity and wondered about my options/neccessity for self defense.. Since they havn't killed anyone, I suppose maybe the best thing to do is whatever they say and let the police sort it out.. I'm not allowed to carry while at work but my pistol is kept in my car.. They tend to roll around in a group of up to four and have been reported with pistols and an uzi.

What you yall do? Fricken wierd to hear about this crud so close to home. Hope they get caught soon

Edited by volkov

"I'm not allowed to carry while at work but my pistol is kept in my car.."

right on to doing what hey say, not making trouble or trying to be a hero. But if it's getting herded into the back room (where you'll be executed), fuck that. I'd rather be fired for wearing iron (which is unlikely if you're careful) or using it (then, who gives a rat's ass?) than murdered. Don't let some bullshit manmade law stand in the way of whether or not you go on with life.

• Like 8

Would you rather lose your job or lose your life? I'll leave it at that.

Edit: I'm not suggesting that the OP go guns blazing against a group of armed robbers, but if he's facing life or death I'd rather he having a fighting chance.

Edited by JamesLi

Would you rather lose your job or lose your life? I'll leave it at that.

Its not always that simple. Everyones job & life situation is different. My field of work if I loose my job I might as well sell all my guns, my car and anything else to make some money because i'd be out of a job for at least a year.

Imo its better to loose your wallet then your life. Stay calm try to assess the situation. If it looks like its going to head south then do what you gottta do.

Or you could be like Walter Sobchack and just say "Fuck it! What's mine is mine!" :D

Edited by Arik
  • Like 1

well- they likely wouldn't take my possessions- It seems they hold someone and gunpoint at get them to open the safe.. So I guess I'll just my head down if anything happens- not my money..

Unless like you say- the hearding thing happens..

It's easy to to be an arm chair John Wayne. People will do what they feel is right until crunch time, then instinct will take over. Self-preservation comes in many forms. It's gonna take a real [stupid] hero to fend off four armed thugs looking to take groceries and money.

Stay cool, stay calm and continuosly size up your situation. If it goes south, push north with EVERYTHING you have and don't stop till it's DONE. And if there are others that feel the same, work together. But don't broach the subject as someone may be looking to get you fired so they(or a friend/relative) can have your job.

The world sucks and it aint getting any better any time soon.

Stay safe

• Like 2

If you're also worried about home safety, get a dog, at least 60lbs. Something protective like a German Shepherd.

Here's a list:

Guard dog breeds

Just don't tell your insurance company. And be prepared to pay alot of hospital bills and legal fees if the dog does what you have it for, because the insurance company won't.

If weapons are denied you, find an old camera that has bright flash . You want the brightest flash you can get CHEAP. Gives a clear picture of what they looked like as you blinded them and went to find something heavy to bash their heads in!

I'm not allowed to carry while at work but my pistol is kept in my car.. They tend to roll around in a group of up to four and have been reported with pistols and an uzi.

A gun in your car is useless unless you are IN the car.

If you are worried about a 4 man robbery crew you'll need a lot more gun than an an easily concealable P3AT. A Glock 19 isn't impossible to hide, but you'll need to dress to hide it and a spare magazine or two. Can you? Are you willing to?

Are you willing to go to guns with 4 guys? Really, think about this, it's not great odds. But if you are going to get in a gun fight with 4 guys you have to HIT them. Can you reliably hit center of mass 4 targets in 6 seconds from a concealed holster at 5 - 10 yards? Can you do it wearing your work clothes? Can you move and still make the hits?

If not then quit you job or learn where the emergency exits are and plan on a quick exit. Take a good shooting course and spend more time on the range.

If you are then ensure that concealed is concealed and accept that you might lose your job. Fuck the job, you can get another. Realize that most people are blind. Get a good IWB, dress to hide it, learn to not touch the holster, touch the gun or pull your pants up in view of anyone, and don't let anyone bump your gun or hug you where they will feel it. And carry at least one spare mag.

Or you can have a P3AT sized gun in a pocket and only use it you think they are going to shoot you after you play along. There are no guarantees in any of these, other then the cops will not be there to protect you.

The body armor suggestion

Conceal carry with the notion that under the notorious local circumstances, if found out, the management should give you at least one warning.

Conceal carry with intent and practice that no one ever know. Body armor may help with concealment.

In practical terms, soon as a miscreant produces a gun with malevolence, it becomes open season on the miscreant, all company policy is set aside.

First of, please stay safe ;)

Now you said you work in a store and iron is not allowed. How about a couple of cans of Wasp Killer, the ones that shoot 20 to 30 feet. No law against protecting your self from bugs. Everyone has pretty much said remain calm, which is a must. How ever do not let lull you into a sense that if you just do what they say you'll be fine. That did not go over so well almost 10 years ago now. Remain calm and be prepared is a better way to go.

• Like 2

My daughter just started a new job for a Security/Loss Prevention Agency at a Menards. This place was robbed(literally cleaned out) even before they opened. She's not allowed a handgun, even if CC'd, but is allowed a taser/stungun. So that and a IIIa vest is on her Bday/Yule list. Better to have and never need, right?