Pros And Cons of Reprofiling, and Polishing The Insides?

I had my trigger group, bolt and carrier profiled and polished by Cobra. It feels like a totally different gun. The feel of the trigger is smooth and precise, more like one on a traditional rifle not a shotgun. I tested it using a variety of the cheapest ammo that I could find at Walmart and my gun shot any and everything without a hiccup even from the hip. Totally satisfied and glad that I had the work done.

S-12 forum vendors that I know of who do it;

Jack Travers of JT Engineering

Tac-47

Cadiz

C&S Metal Werkes

Dinzag Arms

Cobra's Custom's

Gunfixr

Mike R. Of LoneStar (not as a stand-alone mod)

The first to do it; Tony R. of Tromix

Red Jacket (I swear I saw Chris doing it on one of their earlier shows)

And of course me. Pauly's Steelin' Custom Fabrication

I suggest you research each company, read the reviews posted in their Sub-forums & feedback sections.

Look for comprehensive reviews of which aspects of performance were enhanced or remained unchanged.

Maybe even call each, but take their opinions of eachother's system with a grain of salt.

Customer's pictures generally don't lie.

041711141830.jpg

Ask the rationale behind each & every aspect of their system, the advantages & disadvantages & if they cant, or won't explain, move on.

Each of us does stuff a little differently & each invests differing amounts of time into their work.

There's quite a few members who've gotten the same exact thing done from multiple of us vendors...

Those are my personal favorite reviews.

Maybe they'll chime in with pictures & explanations of the differences, but that's rare.

Or, one can just try it themselves & if all else fails & they don't really mess up too bad, between at least one of the shops listed above, someone will likely take the job on.

Good luck with your project. :)

I've heard alot abot having the saiga 12 reprofiled and polished, could somebody give me the pros and cons involving the, and tell me where i should get it done? Thanks in advance

I think the debate should center around, not whether you should do it, for the pros heavily outweigh the cons in this instance....but rather, should you do it youself? or should you send it out? Pauly's mentions and names any one of several vendors who can and will do a professional job of it, and no one can say that isn't the safest, and in the end, perhaps even the least expensive course to take.

But with just a few tools, one can do it with ease and very successfully. The tools are, 1) a modicum of manual dexterity, 2) a normal measure of care and observation, and, 3) reading and studying the thread here on polishing your bolt, of which many of the folks named who do this, participated in wholeheartedly. Hardware includes polishing equipment such as a Dremel tool, belt sander or best of all, a bench polishing unit.

Using the tools listed here, I've not only reprofiled and polished every AK based gun I own, as well as a Kel-Tec rifle, a H&R Pardner, a pair of Benelli semi-autos, but also a smaller variety of handguns. In whatever gun or implement, metal upon metal friction is a factor in smooth and clean operation. And while some of my polishing jobs showed clear and very substantial improvement in operation, and others demonstrated only minor improvement, in every case, there was improvement to one degree or another.

And yes, CARE MUST BE EXERCISED! For it is distressingly possible to ruin your gun, make it unsafe, or otherwise unusable. If you have any doubt as to whether you can do it, or are intimidated by mechanical processes, SEND IT OUT!

I do all of my own and it is a great deal of meticulous work to do it the way that I do. The only con to reprofiling and polishing the INSIDES is that my hands hurt when I do it :cryss:

The only con to polishing the outside is that I have seen a carrier rust. The rust wasn't all over, but in almost equally spaced small spots. I am wondering if the buffing wheel had buffed mild steel before the carrier was buffed and left small particles of the mild steel in the exterior surface of the carrier. Maybe it was an isolated incident.

Yes you should reprofile and polish the bolt and carrier parts. FCG as well upon conversion.

Now consider this. I have done action work on several S&W revolvers but if I screw one up I can cuss and replace the parts. I know some resourcefull members have spare parts but I wouldn't know where to begin to look if I f'd up my S12 guts. And then thers the reliability factor with low brass shells. I had mine done by a pro and couldn't be happier.

Matt @ C&S did mine. I did the basic conversion and had him do the bolt work right away. Thing works GREAT. Friend was very impressed this last weekend of mine vs his and they are identical setups but mine had the bolt work done. Definitely check with C&S Metal Works first!