Polish Special Forces Mag will work?

Hello,

Remember the link I posted for 10 rd Saiga mags for only $12.00 at Krebscustom? And I was asking if the price was too good to be true? Turns out it may have been, they have been backordered for over a month now.... :(

So, imagine my surprise when I came across a source for Polish Secret Service magazines that claims "Looks great and matches the Saiga rifles." Yep, it's right here on ebay...Item number: 3663477505 :huh:

Previous threads on here have talked about modified catches, homemade bullet guides, filing down, building up, AND with possibly illegal results. This beginner is not ready for all of that... :unsure:

BUT, if it were really true certain types of synthetic mag are interchangeable, that might be worth $10 apiece, the starting bid price. Funny thing is, you can get them here for $9.95 http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Rifle_Magazines.html but, there's no mention of using them in a Saiga.

Upshot:

Is there ANY OTHER source for an (un-modified) magazine for an (un-modified) Saiga rifle other than the original factory mag?

And while I'm at it, am I going to get burned trying to buy Saiga stuff on ebay?!

thanks for helping the new guy....

pharmer

p.s. here's a pic of the Polish S.S. 30 rd synthetic

post-5-1077856629.jpg

Sorry, but that magazine will require modifications to work in a Saiga, the ad just says that it matches a Saiga. That is the same magazine that AIM sells. There is no other option other than the factory 10 and 5 round magazines. What you need to do is a Pistol Grip conversion, then you can use these magazines, I use them in my Saiga and I have to say, they look Great!

Hello,

Thanks for the follow up to my question; this forum is a great source of information. I am reminded how long it would take to figure out some of this stuff by trial and error. Hartzpad was even kind enough to send an email explaining about non-Saiga mags and what is required to make them function in a Saiga. So, thank you sir for your help!

I understand now that IT IS LEGAL to modify the gun (via 5 US parts rule) to accept non-Saiga mags.

And it IS NOT LEGAL to 'manufacture' a (hi-cap) magazine for the original gun by modification of the magazine only (Saiga or non-Saiga).

Dang.... I was hoping for Bulgarian Waffles, Polish S.Sausages, Banana Clips, Chinese Drums, and Strippers!

Now, I will have to be content with a couple of 10 rd Saigas......

thanks again for helping the new guy.

pharmer

Ok my local gun shop sells 20 and 30 rd pre-ban ak clips modified to be used in Saiga 7.62 x 39. They claim this is perfectly legal and appear to be pretty savvy with the laws. They claim because it's pre-ban it's not an issue. Can someone please point me to the exact law that states that this would not be a legal item to have with my Saiga? Your assistance is greatly appreciated as I really want a 30 rd mag but don't feel like getting busted for someone else's ignorance.

Ok this is stating that the law applies to post ban magazines so I would need to know why this wouldn't apply to the magazine I may purchase. Is it because the gun is post ban? Is it because the magazing is being modified? Is it because the mag will no longer work in the AK? In other words I need the specific legalese. Could this magazine be the ONE item I am permitted to have?

Title 18 U.S.C. (United States Code), Chapter 44, section 922(w)

provides that it shall be unlawful for a person to transfer or possess

a large capacity ammunition feeding device except those which were

lawfully possessed on or before September 13, 1994.

As defined in 18 U.S.C., Chapter 44, section 921(a)(31)(A), the term "large

capacity ammunition feeding device" means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip

or similar device manufactured after September 13, 1994, which has a capacity

of, or can be readily converted to accept, more than ten (10) rounds of

ammunition