Which Magazines feed best in .308's?

Hi All,

Been lurking; got a lot of useful data from all of you. I have a .308 with 2 each 8 rd mags.

Have any of you found a particular brand of high capacity mags that seems to work well?

I heard a guy at our local range say the .223 mags had some feeding hassles with some brands.

He didn't know if this applied to the .308's. I'm thinking to look for a few 20 round mags and

thought I'd ask first.

Appreciate any feedback from your experience.

Best to worst list.

CSSPECS,"Bombproof" all steel contruction, all weather and environment performance.

FBMG/Uinita, polymer good commercial mag but some owner had fit issues.

Surefire, they are decent hot weather mags but will crack easily when dropped in cold temps.

Promag,a few people have gotten them to work seems like it's a crap shoot but for half the price.

Edited by SOPMOD

I have both the Pro-Mag 24 round magazine and I also have the SGM (Surefire Tactical) 25 round magazine. Both now work perfectly, note that I said now. I have run ~maybe 200 rounds each through the Pro-Mag and the SGM as of this week, but I prefer the Pro-Mag and here is why:

* The Pro-mag fit perfectly out of the bag - no wiggle at all. The SGM did not fit at first, it would not lock into place as the mag release did not click over the "shelf" on the magazine. Fortunately, the SGM was easily fixed with a little whittle work around the catch shelf of the magazine and now it works fine.

* The surface texture of the Pro-mag is textured which looks somehow less "plastiky" and more small scratch resistant than the SGM. The SGM is more reflective which is not good in tactical situations.

* The SGM has one advantage, it is spec for 25 rounds vs the Pro-mag which is spec only for 24 rounds. Frankly, I will sacrifice that small difference in capacity to have a magazine that worked perfectly out of the bag.

I have not tried the metal mag, but I prefer the plastic mags as they do not rust, or react to the spring or follower metal. Now if somebody would produce a clear one or a drum mag. As I only have one SGM, I can not say if the fit problem was unique, but I prefer the Pro-mag texture finish.

UNita magazines have no problems with my rifle.

Unfortunately, they don't work at all in mine because they sit too low. If you push them up by hand they cycle fine. When I get around to it I'll probably build the tabs up on them with JB Weld and use them for range work only.

Other than that, I've had zero problems with the factory 8 round and I just got a CSSPECS 10 rounder that I haven't used yet. Maybe Sunday.

Unfortunately, they don't work at all in mine because they sit too low. If you push them up by hand they cycle fine. When I get around to it I'll probably build the tabs up on them with JB Weld and use them for range work only.

Other than that, I've had zero problems with the factory 8 round and I just got a CSSPECS 10 rounder that I haven't used yet. Maybe Sunday.

If you cut out a piece of thin sheetmetal and glue that in place instead of just building it up with JB Weld you will make the magazine worth of serious emergency use.

I have thought about sanding mine down just to make enough clearance to add some metal in the front and rear catch areas for about 2 years.

• Like 1

If you cut out a piece of thin sheetmetal and glue that in place instead of just building it up with JB Weld you will make the magazine worth of serious emergency use.

I have thought about sanding mine down just to make enough clearance to add some metal in the front and rear catch areas for about 2 years.

I appreciate that but don't know if it would work or not. The problem seems to be an incorrect angle on the tab that contacts the release lever on the gun. I suppose I could file down the outer end of the magazine tab and maybe build up the inner part a bit to match the factory angle, then put sheet metal on. Thanks. Seriously, I didn't have the heart to send them back to Uinta because I figured they were having enough problems with other consumers. Still, it would be nice to have three functional mags rather than just paperweights, so I will get around to trying to fix them.

My Surefire 25 round mags function very well. I had one or two failure to feeds when I first got them, but now that they're broken in I have no problems. As to be expected, no problems at all with the factory mag. I'd like to check out a couple of the full metal mags. However, I wasn't sure if I would have to install a bullet guide to get them to work with an S-308.

My Surefire 25 round mags function very well. I had one or two failure to feeds when I first got them, but now that they're broken in I have no problems. As to be expected, no problems at all with the factory mag. I'd like to check out a couple of the full metal mags. However, I wasn't sure if I would have to install a bullet guide to get them to work with an S-308.

If your referring to my mags. No bullet guide is needed, the magazines are designed to raise the rounds to the correct height.

(Ps thanks everyone for your comments. Its always nice to hear your product is well liked).

• Like 1

The bullet guide is integral to the csspecs mags.

If your referring to my mags. No bullet guide is needed, the magazines are designed to raise the rounds to the correct height.

(Ps thanks everyone for your comments. Its always nice to hear your product is well liked).

I just got my 10 rounder and haven't had a chance to try it yet but don't expect any problems. The only complaints I've heard about your mags are the weight and the "Plain Jane" looks. They are hefty (in a rugged way) but when I look at mine all I see is high quality assembly. I guess maybe I look at things differently than some other people.