Hey guys, I'm going to do a conversion on either a 5.45 or 7.62 rifle in the near future (I haven't decided which one yet) and was wanting to put an AK 74 style muzzle brake on it. Now, I know about shaving the barrel shroud of, getting a thread bit, and threading it, but I was wondering if I could just JB weld it onto the barrel, and if so are there any muzzle brakes designed to do this? That's only if it is a good idea. If it's going to fly off after a few rounds I'll just thread the darn thing, but if it can stand up to some light shooting I may do it. Thanks in advance.

Hey guys, I'm going to do a conversion on either a 5.45 or 7.62 rifle in the near future (I haven't decided which one yet) and was wanting to put an AK 74 style muzzle brake on it. Now, I know about shaving the barrel shroud of, getting a thread bit, and threading it, but I was wondering if I could just JB weld it onto the barrel, and if so are there any muzzle brakes designed to do this? That's only if it is a good idea. If it's going to fly off after a few rounds I'll just thread the darn thing, but if it can stand up to some light shooting I may do it. Thanks in advance.

There is quite a bit of pressure coming from those rounds. I don't think I would trust JB weld alone to hold it, even though the stuff is pretty strong. Threads also ensure that it is on nice and straight. If you can do a conversion, you can thread the barrel. It's also pretty easy to replace the front sight block with a 24mm front sight block (what the original 74 brakes are designed for). That's the best option. JB weld or thread adapters wouldn't be my method of choice.

There is quite a bit of pressure coming from those rounds. I don't think I would trust JB weld alone to hold it, even though the stuff is pretty strong. Threads also ensure that it is on nice and straight. If you can do a conversion, you can thread the barrel. It's also pretty easy to replace the front sight block with a 24mm front sight block (what the original 74 brakes are designed for). That's the best option. JB weld or thread adapters wouldn't be my method of choice.

JB weld works fine for holding items together that are subject to shearing forces. (i.e. fixing threads on an item and then re-tapping the threads so bolt can bite) It also works for mending pot or cast metals in some cases. It does not handle repeated concussion (i.e. repeated hamming) and will fail to keep a bond rather quickly. I would not use it to attach a muzzle break. The concussion of the ammo will likely make it fail, and could be a rela safety issue.

• Like 2

I think it's unanimous, no JB Weld on the muzzle!

You basically have two options to thread it directly on the barrel: cut the shroud back, thread and put a non-74 brake on. Or thread, buy an adapter, then attach a 74 brake to the adapter.

The "right" way is to remove the FSB entirely, press a correct FSB on and attach the 74 brake directly to it. Honestly if you're going to go through the effort of cutting off the barrel shroud and threading the barrel directly, this is no more work and no more expensive.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

I agree with rob-cubed. Though what route you take is dependent on what equipment you have available. If you have a press, I recommend removing the pins and pressing off the original front sight block and putting a 74 block on. But if you don't and don't want to invest in one then cut it and thread it but make sure you get a thread alignment tool. Can't stress that enough. Be sure of your depth as well. Muzzle devices have varying length of threaded portion.