Mini-14 mag adaptors - Progress and interest call

Ok folks, I've done some measuring and such with my S-223 and have reached a conclusion on the use of Mini-mags.

1. It would be more practical to make an adaptor for Mini-mags than to try to convert them individually. More cost effective for me and for you.

2. Based on the size and shape of Mini-14 mags, an adaptor could be made that would require NO MODIFICATION to the original rifle, including feed-ramp addition. It could be installed and removed without any changes to the rifle. I cannot say that it would work in a rifle with the feedramp already installed. My guess would be no.

3. Such an adaptor would consist of a sheet metal guide/mag well for the Mini-14 mag that would pop into place. It would also require a slip-on tab for the mag catch.

4. This device would extend beneath the S-223 mag well but not very far, 1/4" to 1/2" tops. The sheet metal construction would be a good match for the AK.

5. The price on such an item would be $30-40.

So the question is, who would want to buy it? I have many projects underway, so tell me if this one is worth my time to develop and offer. This is directed at those who HAVE a Saiga 223 and would actually buy this device. Believe me, people's minds change when they have an idea for a gun they don't yet have (ie me and mine.)

Speak now guys, I have a lot of resource related decisions ahead. Yay or nay. No hard feelings, just the truth.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BRG3,

I have two .223. Neither has a bullet guide. Two questions: 1) would the device be quickly installed and removed or does it remain in the rifle? 2) how do you avoid razor cuts from the sheet metal protruding from the rifle?

I'm very interested but need to understand how this would work.

Wolverine

When I say sheet metal, I don't mean razor sharp. I mean roughly 16 gauge. That's about 1/16" thick. No cutting hazard there, I'd make sure it was smooth.

Regarding quick insertion and removal, it might require tools to pop in, and it would stay in the rifle between magazines. But it should be popped out just as well with no changes to the rifle.

It would use the original magazine catch with a slip on spacer to hold the Mini's tab. Insert and remove just like an AK mag.

Keep the input coming, people, I'd need more folks planning to buy ASSUMING I can get it done as I've proposed and make it work satisfactorily.

IVe got absoluetly nothing to add because i dont own one and such, but wouldnt that adapter be quite nice because you would also being useing totally US made magazines? would make conversion rather easy really.

Edited by Hutch

I wouldn't buy one for a few different reasons.

1. There are too many poor quality Mini-14 mags, and many that don't work right in a Mini, yet alone a gun they aren't designed for.

2. If you don't add US parts, isn't it a no-no to use hi cap mags?

3. A lot of people who are interested in hi cap minds also have the pistol grip conversion in mind. If you are going to go theough the trouble of converting it, adding a bullet guide and grinding the mag release catch aren't that big of a deal.

Point 1 - Correct on aftermarket Mini mag unreliability, however, the AK is far more forgiving than the Mini feedingwise. I have managed to feed rounds from it simply holding it in place in my S-223. Part of the idea of this project is to make otherwise useless mags usable which are available at better prices than AK mags in 223. There are some ways that a mag can malfunction regardless of the gun it's used in, so that may be an issue for some mags.

Point 2 - That is frequently debated and yes I would use US parts myself. My S-223 is converted to P-grip. However, the Mini mags are all US made and there go three parts from the list. Now the Saiga does need 5 parts, since though it lacks a P-grip, it adds a separate trigger (sear and trigger are integrated in the standard semi-auto AK.) So you'd need two more US parts. You could do parts of the FCG and/or piston, but now that I'm offering US made wooden stock sets for unconverted Saigas, there's an easy no-gunsmithing solution to adding those next two parts. This woulds be ideal for someone who wants to use hi-caps but doesn't want to do any permanent mods to his S-223. Also great if someone wants pretty much the equivalent of a Mini-14 configuration but with AK durability and reliability.

3. Unlike the X39, 223 AK mags are not all the same. In some cases you have to decide which mags you want to convert your Saiga for. One reason I haven't done that myself. I was considering for some time doing a serious and permanent conversion to AR mags, but decided otherwise after getting out of the AR. This adaptor would allow a no-gunsmithing solution which could be removed and standard Saiga mags used again or another conversion done at a later time.

I am very glad for your input and hope I've answered a few questions. Keep the honest feedback coming in and I'll see if this is worth doing. If not, I can certainly keep busy with other stuff.

I'd like to add that if one was interested in doing a conversion to pistol-grip configuration, it wouldn't interfere with using this adapter. The unavailability of 223 ak magazines is exactly the reason I like this idea. The availability situation does seem to be turning around, but mini-14 magazines are still cheaper. If one wanted to, they could easily modify their gun for 223 ak magazines later once they are cheaper and more available.

Edited by Tokageko

I'd definately buy one; can't find jack squat in the way of mags for mine. All I have is the one factory 10 round that came with it *LOL*

My 223 is totally factory stock and I'd like to keep it as much as possible, meaning I won't be messing w/the trigger group/pistol grip business, nor am I interested in having to grind anything. I have no problems working w/tools tho and if this adapter just bolts on (so to speak) I'd be all for one :)

I need to see if my local store has .223 rifles. I think they have one used for $200. If I got one, I WOULD buy one of you're inserts. No dremel mods are good. Mini magazines are cheap compared to Saiga mags. I'm currently working in the Devils Lake Wal-mart on the remodel team, so I havn't been able to go shooting. (Living out of a motel room kind of stinks, but I get all my food reimbursed. Subway every day. :) Not to mention the better pay.)

Well I'll have no trouble posting lots since I'm a total Saiga n00b :) I've been reading a lot of posts here about magazine fitting and wotnot, and this idea seems a lot less complicated than wot seems to be the standard to make other mags work in a Saiga.

Gonna take it to the range next weekend and blow thru my Wolf stockpile, sure would be more fun not having to load the ten round mag 20 times :lol: I'm all for one if you make one d00d just lemme know where to paypal u @ :)

I don't yet have a .223 but I am keeping my eye out for one. We are having our 2nd ever gun show here where I live next weekend. The only Saiga at the last one was a .308, but you never know untill you look. It sounds like you have come up with a great idea. Not having to modify the gun will help it sell more quickly than your G3 adaptor. I would definitly consider one if I find a .223.

I've bought the EG-made Wieger steel mags from IO that fit the Romo SAR-3, four for $60. At $16.50 ea including shipping, it is far more cost effective to slightly modify the Wieger mags to fit the Saiga 223 and function perfectly, and the original poly Saiga mag still works as well. Further, the modified Wieger mags still function 100% in the SAR-3.

Works for me.

Noah

Edited by Noah Zark

Haven't seen Weiger mags around much anymore. Does it take any other mags as well? My impression was that you sort of modded for one mag or another. One reason a no-permanent-mod adaptor has its benefits. But very glad to hear your choices. Good thing about this over the G3 adaptor is it'll take a lot less R&D.

I don't have an S-223 right now, but BRG3, by the time you finish making the Mini adaptors, RAA will probably be selling the 223s anyway. [just in time manufacturing, right? :-]

So I plan to buy one of the 223 adaptor as well.

Plus:  Beta Co is making an NLFD for Mini-14!!!  Beta Co new products!!

Hoooooly crap that's wicked!!! I'll take 2 plz *LOL*

• 2 weeks later...

The whole idea is that YES they will work in a stock S-223. Might have to look into parts count legalities, but the Mini mags cover three of them. I can make stocks for stock S-223s and that plus the Mini mags would cover parst compliance.

Bear with me, folks, have a lot of projects going here.

On the SIG mags, Beta-C has already developed a tower for Mini-14 mags. I'm sure they could also do one for the AK. I wouldn't go cutting a SIG mag if I didn't have to.