Mini-14 mag adaptors - Progress and interest call

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why mini14 mags? A few years ago I saw an adapter at a gunshow that was similar to the one described in this post. It allowed you to use AR mags in a Galil. I'm not sure if this was made by a company or just some guy. Has anyone tried AR mags with saigas? I don't see why they wouldn't work and they are cheap & plentyful, not too mention US made.

Compare an AR mag to a Saiga mag to a Mini mag. The Mini mag and Saiga mag both have feed lips that are a bit higher than the front of the mag. This is extremely important for an AK. AR mags almost have full length feed lips. Could they work in an Saiga 223? Not at the same height as the original, and that really matters. I was looking into a permanent conversion for AR mags much like my G3 mag adaptors for S-308, but instead got out of ARs.

I remember the AR15 magazine adapter for the Galils in 1988. A Mini-14 magazine adapter would be nice for the .223 Saiga since Mini-14 mags are easily available.

I read some of the posts about Mini-14 aftermarket magazines and some of them are garbage while others are as good as factory mags. The aftermarket mags I can recommend are ProMag (metal and polymer) and I possibly MecGar who make OEM magazines. I have ProMag polymer magazines which function as well as factory mags (flawlessly) and drop out of the rifle when released. Other makes may be good but I only used factory and Pro Mag magazines in my Mini-14 without hangups. I used Eagle's magazine but it had to be sanded down to fit the rifle and not load more than 32 rounds in the 35 round magazine. The Eagle 10 rounder crapped out on me as did other aftermarket mags which were good when they were new.

Mags can have a number of different problems. The AK is more forgiving in directional feeding, but if the rounds point down into the mag then that wouldn't be fixed. I have a feeling though that these mags would be no less reliable in a S-223 than a Mini due to the AK's more aggressive feeding.

What about those magazines you can use for both AR-15s and Mini-14s?  How well do they work?

I've seen the dual use AR-15 and Mini-14 magzines but never tried them. The clear plastic looks like it may be brittle. I wouldn't waste my money taking a chance when I know the ProMags work reliably.

I tried Eagle's magazines which are also clear plastic. They had to be sanded down to fit the Mini-14 and the ten rounder cracked and no longer works.

Heres a pics of a Galil/M16 Mag Adaptor.

galiladaptor2lz.gif

If I installed a feed ramp would I be able to fit one to a Saiga .223 or how about fitting one to a SAR-3?

Would I also have to do any work on the bolt?

Edited by Tiny
Yeah, add me to the list. I want to keep my Saiga pretty much stock and still have the higher-cap mag option. As long as they feed Mini 14 mags properly - some of those mags are pretty unreliable in a Mini.

$30-$40 sounds OK to me.

Roscoe,

I welcome feedback from others including BRG3 on my opinion but I am convinced that by adding this U.S. made adaptor/modification to a stock Saiga that you would be in violation of Federal regulation 922r. To achieve compliance you will need to convert your Saiga .223 using four U.S. parts plus a US pistol grip to legally use BRG3's device which (when completed and functional) will permit the use of high capacity magazines. The use of a high capacity magazine other than a Saiga without conversion is a 922r violation. It follows that by installing or dropping in this US part or device facilitating the use of other than a Saiga magazine would be equally unlawful under 922r. I believe BRG3 is simply offering to construct this drop in adaptor for those of us who don't want to install a bullet guide and retrofit/modify alternative mags such as AK .223 or AK-74

Bakelites, etc. after converting our rifles to comply with 922r.

If you choose to drop in the adaptor and use standard high capacity mags other than the imported Saiga designed for use in the rifle you risk your rifle, fines, attorneys fees and perhaps jail as I understand the law.

As always commentary is welcome.

Wolverine :smoke:

Me too. I just don't want some of the newer members to mistakenly think this will solve the 922r issue along with the magazine capacity issue. We owe it to these guys to make sure they are informed. Then if they choose otherwise they can't say we didn't tell them the whole story.

I think I might be willing to go for that. To be honest, I'm not really sure it matters, but I'd LIKE to be compliant anyway. I'd rather not go into a debate on that subject in this thread (meaning: please, no posts explaining the "importance" of compliance).

Wolverine, good reminder (glad to see someone looking out for the newbies).

As always, still with you BRG3.

I could offer a complete compliance kit with this adaptor and a matching buttstock and forend. Not the cheapest route, but definitely the least work and a fine wooden furniture set to boot.

That would be kind of nice - I would prefer wood on my Saiga anyway. I just don't want to have to mess with the pistol grip.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
When I say sheet metal, I don't mean razor sharp. I mean roughly 16 gauge. That's about 1/16" thick. No cutting hazard there, I'd make sure it was smooth.

Regarding quick insertion and removal, it might require tools to pop in, and it would stay in the rifle between magazines. But it should be popped out just as well with no changes to the rifle.

It would use the original magazine catch with a slip on spacer to hold the Mini's tab. Insert and remove just like an AK mag.

Keep the input coming, people, I'd need more folks planning to buy ASSUMING I can get it done as I've proposed and make it work satisfactorily.

If you can build it and it requires no other mods to the gun, i'd be interested if it is in the $30-40 range

RangerM9

Hey, BRG3, do you think it'd be possible to knock the feed ramp off your design for use in the SAR-3? It seems like that'd be all that's needed.

I've been half-heartedley trying to finagle the AR mag into the SAR-3, but ran into the same problem with full-length feed lips. I'm trying to figure out how they managed it with the Galil. It appears the Galil mag rides higher in the receiver than an SAR-3 or AK-74 mag. Hence the tab modifications necessary to get a Galil mag to work in a Saiga .223. However, the Galil rails should be the same hieght-ish, which means that if you can get the AR mag to ride high enough through the use of an adapter...it should work.

Or,I could just use mini-14 mags...

• 1 month later...
Ok folks, I've done some measuring and such with my S-223 and have reached a conclusion on the use of Mini-mags.

1. It would be more practical to make an adaptor for Mini-mags than to try to convert them individually. More cost effective for me and for you.

2. Based on the size and shape of Mini-14 mags, an adaptor could be made that would require NO MODIFICATION to the original rifle, including feed-ramp addition. It could be installed and removed without any changes to the rifle. I cannot say that it would work in a rifle with the feedramp already installed. My guess would be no.

3. Such an adaptor would consist of a sheet metal guide/mag well for the Mini-14 mag that would pop into place. It would also require a slip-on tab for the mag catch.

4. This device would extend beneath the S-223 mag well but not very far, 1/4" to 1/2" tops. The sheet metal construction would be a good match for the AK.

5. The price on such an item would be $30-40.

So the question is, who would want to buy it? I have many projects underway, so tell me if this one is worth my time to develop and offer. This is directed at those who HAVE a Saiga 223 and would actually buy this device. Believe me, people's minds change when they have an idea for a gun they don't yet have (ie me and mine.)

Speak now guys, I have a lot of resource related decisions ahead. Yay or nay. No hard feelings, just the truth.

I'm interested. I've been looking for either hi cap clips or some sort of adapter like you are talking about.

Mabe I am missing something, but. . . Why are you even thinking about modding Mini-14 mags, or any other mags (Galil), and spending not insignificant bucks doing it, when the world is flooded with AK mags (AK-74 and Wiegers) that actually FIT the damn thing already? Read the post by Dinzag where he found out how ridiculously easy and cheap the 5.45 mag ($6-$8) Home Depot putty conversion I told all of you about is ($.25).