target.jpg?t=1312175533

Took my 7yo godson out to the range. That is a 50 round magazine out of my 10/22 as quick as he could pull the trigger. He was scared of guns before the trip, now not so much. He knows the 4 rules backwards and forwards, and observed good safety all day.

WTG Loch!

• Like 8

Alright man! Sweet. Nothing better than giving a boy or girl that age the confidence and experience of learning how to safely and accurately use a firearm. The fact that your drum worked with all 50 rds is a plus too! I gotta get myself one of those for the Krinker Plinker. Had a Promag 75 rd drum and it didn't work worth a squat....

I fully endorse this thread! :super:

I took my 5yr'ol son to the range for his first time as a active shooter not too long ago.

Start'em young & start'em right!

My son and I have been shooting as well. I bought a Marlin Model 60 for the sole purpose of teaching him all the rules of gun safety. It's a fun little gun :)

Yes the model 60 is a great little gun, just like the 10/22. I'm in the middle of restoring an old neglected one right now and putting it in a dragunov style stock from ATI.

That's the stock that is on the rifle now, it was on there when I bought it!!

I started both of my boys with a Daisy .22LR magazine fed, bolt action rifle I got for practically nothing. It's a little bigger than a Cricket. They worked their way up to bigger stuff and now we can't keep them off the Class III guns. 9mm goes pretty fast when they are juggling four different subguns on range days!

What is more amusing is that his mother is quite "anti" largely due to her daddy being from chicago. She'd never expressed much interest in guns aside from understanding they'd be necissary for her chosen job (park ranger). I got her a 9mm handgun after there was a stabbing next door, and offered to teach her gun safety and basic handgun marksmanship, and she was enthusiastic at the time. I also left her with a locking gun case, two combination locks (With different combo) a trigger and an action lock on the gun, just because I knew she had a toddler in the house.

Seems her father FLIPPED. Despite the various locks and safety devices, he was CERTAIN the kiddo would get into the gun and go on a murderous 17 state rampage.

She was anti-gun after that.

Her son won't be.

• Like 2

I took both my sons out shooting at five years of age. It really depends more on the adult than the child though. Last time at the range a guy had his son there (about five or six) and he wasn't exercising enough control or attention. While he was blabbing to other people there his kid managed a shot that hit the ground about six feet downrange. Not good, and I don't think he even noticed. Oh well, it was just a single shot 22 so I guess it wouldn't kill anyone too bad.

Took my grandson (18 months) out last Sunday and he loved saying "BOOM!" I don't think I'll put him on the trigger of my 308 until he's at least three though. His little sister was there too. She'll be born in six weeks. LOL!