New Chaos AK47 rail that fits Saiga 7.62 X 39!!!

Is there any way to make the Romanian model fit on the saiga 7.62? I just installed the saiga one on my rifle, but I like how the one in the Romanian picture seems to fit tighter next to the rear sight on the top rail. Just curious.

It's the same, just different gas tubes and mounting hardware.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cameron, I talked to you on the phone this spring and I thought you was going to make a Titan setup for the AK rifle? Hell, I was geting ready to remove the rear sight on my AK. Are you not doing it

Bad Ass!

Plastic in hand for pre-order.... I know u Probly just finished production, but I was wondering if you are planning on doing a hinged cover like the "titan" and will this first production be compatibl

Posted Images

Is there any way to make the Romanian model fit on the saiga 7.62? I just installed the saiga one on my rifle, but I like how the one in the Romanian picture seems to fit tighter next to the rear sight on the top rail. Just curious.

Why does the one pictured for the Romanian version look like it fights tighter on the top part, towards the rear of the rifle. I also was not able to get the mounting sling to go completely around the barrel so I had to stack them on top of each other the same direction. Like my barrel it to thick for them to fit around it in a circle.

Got my quad rail over the weekend and was excited to install it but ran into some problems. The gap in the receiver is too tight for the quad rail to slide in and my barrel doesn't have slots so like the instructions show so the two metal pieces tht clamp around the barrel won't fit. Anyone else have problems like this? For reference, I bought my Saiga from Turner's back in '98.

Here's a pic to answer some questions here. I'm using a Bulgarian AK gas tube purchased from a member here. It has built in "retainers" so thats why it fills the rear. The standard Saiga gas tube you have on right now is nothing but a tube so it will leave that gap where the "retainer" is suppose to be. Get the AK gas tube, it completes the look! And they aren't too expensive. I love this rail, it looks so good.

post-33110-0-03685900-1320750695_thumb.jpg

Why does the one pictured for the Romanian version look like it fights tighter on the top part, towards the rear of the rifle. I also was not able to get the mounting sling to go completely around the barrel so I had to stack them on top of each other the same direction. Like my barrel it to thick for them to fit around it in a circle.

You may have a little more metal on the diameter of the barrel, real easy fix. In this case you'll need to remove metal with a small half round file where the radius meets the barrel as in the illustrastion below with A mating up to B. File area A until you have a good fit.

post-11513-0-48987100-1320765121_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hey guys don't forget to post your pics in my business Section under " Show me your Chaos mounted rails!" http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/44199-show-me-your-chaos-mounted-rails/

I can take mine off in about 30s, hell I usally spend more time messing with the gas tube release latch. grimace.gif since the mount screws go through the side and are only a 1/4 long they come out pretty quick.

i LOVE how sharp this rail system looks. This is definitely the handguard I've been waiting for. Good job Cameron!

Has anyone mounted an Aimpoint Micro or similar low-profile red dot optic yet? I'm dying to see not only what co-witnessing options I have, but also just how optics look on these sexy rails.

so i have been avidly watching this thread, but I'm led with some x-factors (to be honest). I'm trying to figure out if I want the Chaos or the Midwest Industries Hand Guad/Rail.

1.) the pics people have posted almost make the whole rail look like it's slanting down toward the barrel, is that just an optical illusion/I'm on crack? by contrast, look at the MI Hand Guard, it seems to look straighter in every pic. but I'd like an owner's actual opinion.

2.) fitment issues? people have asked a few questions about this. anybody resolve theirs? Especially the person who couldn't get it on at all without filing metal. Cameron, if I got mine and it wouldn't fit without filing, could I get a refund?

3.) has anyone mounted an optic yet? results? co-witness attained? I will probably be getting an Aimpoint TI specifically. I doubt my budget option (Vortex SPARC) would co-witness since it doesn't on the MI.

thanks anyone who replies! the thing sure is pretty killer looking!

will it fit a 223 saiga?

Size-wise, it should - but if you look at the assembly diagram, the two side pieces of the 3-piece lower handguard retainer each have a tab that fit into the handguard retainer slots milled into the barrel. AFAIK, those retainer slots have never shown up on any of the .223 rifles.

Cameron, if you had to file those tabs away, would the handguard retainer be prone to movement?

so i have been avidly watching this thread, but I'm led with some x-factors (to be honest). I'm trying to figure out if I want the Chaos or the Midwest Industries Hand Guad/Rail.

1.) the pics people have posted almost make the whole rail look like it's slanting down toward the barrel, is that just an optical illusion/I'm on crack? by contrast, look at the MI Hand Guard, it seems to look straighter in every pic. but I'd like an owner's actual opinion.

2.) fitment issues? people have asked a few questions about this. anybody resolve theirs? Especially the person who couldn't get it on at all without filing metal. Cameron, if I got mine and it wouldn't fit without filing, could I get a refund?

3.) has anyone mounted an optic yet? results? co-witness attained? I will probably be getting an Aimpoint TI specifically. I doubt my budget option (Vortex SPARC) would co-witness since it doesn't on the MI.

1. An aesthetic issue that I noticed as well. The Chaos Rail itself is hands down the best looking hand guard for the Saiga out there, but the one huge thing that bothered me is that it doesn't follow the lines of the rifle which is disruptive to me visually. Something that I try my best to overlook but still bothers me a bit.

2. Not sure if I'm in the minority on this or not, but another disappointment was that it wasn't good to go for me right out of the box. Had to do a bit of filing and banging with a hammer to get it into the receiver and also had to file down the tabs to secure the clamps to the barrel.

3. Haven't mounted an optic yet but you're definitely not going to get it to co-witness as the rear stock sights sit barely above the rail.

I love the look and feel of the rail itself, but due to the issues you brought up I'm a bit torn on how I feel about it overall. I guess I'm happy with it now given what the other hand guard options out there are, but it still can be improved upon, hopefully in a future version.

1. An aesthetic issue that I noticed as well. The Chaos Rail itself is hands down the best looking hand guard for the Saiga out there, but the one huge thing that bothered me is that it doesn't follow the lines of the rifle which is disruptive to me visually. Something that I try my best to overlook but still bothers me a bit.

2. Not sure if I'm in the minority on this or not, but another disappointment was that it wasn't good to go for me right out of the box. Had to do a bit of filing and banging with a hammer to get it into the receiver and also had to file down the tabs to secure the clamps to the barrel.

3. Haven't mounted an optic yet but you're definitely not going to get it to co-witness as the rear stock sights sit barely above the rail.

I love the look and feel of the rail itself, but due to the issues you brought up I'm a bit torn on how I feel about it overall. I guess I'm happy with it now given what the other hand guard options out there are, but it still can be improved upon, hopefully in a future version.

thanks for the responses; exactly what I was looking for. :)

This will be the replacement for my OEM forearm, As its the nicest thing Ive seen on the market for the price. I probably will not mount a red dot, as I do very well with my irons out to 100yds.

My question / concern is: Will this make looking down my irons a pain in the ass? Or would a rail sitting directly under my line of aim help with quick sighting? I have absolutely no problem clicking my rear sight up and adjusting my front, if it means something having something this rugged and functional on my rifle.

Maybe having to file and fit a little doesnt bother me at all, but the quick precise use of my iron sights is still number one to me.

Has anyone had any issues with using their iron sights?

This will be the replacement for my OEM forearm, As its the nicest thing Ive seen on the market for the price. I probably will not mount a red dot, as I do very well with my irons out to 100yds.

My question / concern is: Will this make looking down my irons a pain in the ass? Or would a rail sitting directly under my line of aim help with quick sighting? I have absolutely no problem clicking my rear sight up and adjusting my front, if it means something having something this rugged and functional on my rifle.

Maybe having to file and fit a little doesnt bother me at all, but the quick precise use of my iron sights is still number one to me.

I gotta ask: why this over, say, the Midwest Industries rail?

you also say this thing is rugged, yet it's brand new. how do you know it's rugged? serious question (it sort of sounded sarcastic when I re-read it).

You may have a little more metal on the diameter of the barrel, real easy fix. In this case you'll need to remove metal with a small half round file where the radius meets the barrel as in the illustrastion below with A mating up to B. File area A until you have a good fit.

post-11513-0-48987100-1320765121_thumb.jpg

For some reason my barrel does not grooves in it. Strange because it appears that all the other ones do..

No problems with the iron sights. The rail sits low so no issues with the iron sights unless you mount something on the rail.

thanks for the responses; exactly what I was looking for. smile.png

Another thing I forgot to mention to take into consideration is that the top part of the rail sits far forward so there's a large gap from the top of the rail and the top of the receiver which makes it look a little off, IMHO if you keep your stock gas tube. If you're a stickler about making it look right, you'll need to spend another $30 + shipping for a AK gas tube which will fill that gap and complete the look.

• Like 1

Another thing I forgot to mention to take into consideration is that the top part of the rail sits far forward so there's a large gap from the top of the rail and the top of the receiver which makes it look a little off, IMHO if you keep your stock gas tube. If you're a stickler about making it look right, you'll need to spend another $30 + shipping for a AK gas tube which will fill that gap and complete the look.

Thanks! That at least tells me I should get one before the rail gets here. I take it is an even swap? 1 for 1?

I received my Chaos quad rail last week. Sorry it took so long to get on here and post about it, I've been under my truck for a week. Just had time to work with it some yesterday.

Any reason this won't fit my 223? measured the barrel and gas tube with calipers and it measures the same.

It may, we just haven't had a 223 in hand yet to find out. If you feel it will fit, order one try it and if not send it back, I'll refund you nothing lost.

How about 5.45? Same thing?

Yes.

Outstanding job Cameron! 027.gifcheckered_flag.gif

Guys this is a very high quality quad rail and will fit on any AK. Some may need a little trimming in a spot or two such as the tongue insert that fits into the receiver. Mind you, this is not an issue with the Saiga rifles, it fits like a glove... the Chinese and Egyptians I tried were a little tight there but an easy fix. As mentioned already, some of the older Saigas that didn't come with the factory barrel cuts for the AK retainer, you'll need to either add those or remove the tabs on the CHAOS retainer to use it that way. Slight fitting is normal for AK parts, with all the variations out there.

Will this rail set at the same height as the TWS Gen II rail? I can understand it not being your perogative to check but I was wondering if you had?

I have mine on my Saiga .223 with the TWS rail and it's not the same height. The TWS sits about 3/8" lower. This does make it a little tough to get a good front sight picture with that low rear peep. I'll most likely take the TWS peep off and replace it with a Chaos rear rail mounted sight like they use on the S-12 rails. I believe it's more like an HK style. Looking forward to seeing CHAOS' new rear rail for the rifles. I am sure it will just as great as the Titan Rail they have for the Saiga 12.

It was very tight getting it to line up with the original forearm screw but once that was done it made everything solid. I am very pleased with the fit and already added a light and handgrip will post pics in the pic forum later as I am now complete in my conversion.

Installation is a breeze. I am very happy with this quality product. Thx Cam and Crew @ Chaos.

will it fit a 223 saiga?

Yes it will definitely fit a .223 Saiga.

It's a great design because it installs in minutes on either an unconverted Saiga, or any other AK rifle. It should even work on an S-12 if you have yours setup for that configuration. I may try it on one of mine to see.

I'm not quite finished testing it on my various AKs for fit, so I haven't done one last thing I want to do on it, but after fitting to all of them I'm going to remove the two stabilizer set scews in the bottom, and drill out the threads that are made to hold the lower center screw (since I don't need that for my use) and put my cleaning rod through there, another genious design factor with this rail.

Cameron I could not be happier with this rail. Thank you for bringing this to market. Bye bye UTG! smile.png

post-1293-0-47498000-1321552610_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-02683800-1321552625_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-36706400-1321552641_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-92190100-1321553247_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-72495600-1321552676_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-05266000-1321552700_thumb.jpg

Another thing I like but forgot to mention.... it is very comfortable on the shooter's hand. It's not like the typical cheese grater effect you get with most rails. Doesn't even need rail covers. Very nice.

I gotta ask: why this over, say, the Midwest Industries rail?

you also say this thing is rugged, yet it's brand new. how do you know it's rugged? serious question (it sort of sounded sarcastic when I re-read it).

No sarcasm bro, Thats not my thing.

Ill bet my life on the fact that solid milled aluminum is ten fold as rugged as the stock factory forearm. I shot 60rds in quick succession, and had a corner start to melt on the plastic. Now, banging off useless rounds isnt a normal thing for me, but I am certain I wouldnt have that problem with this chaos handguard.

I trust chaos's reputation to stand on its own. Thats the only reason I would make such a statement.

I trust that Cobra knows his shit as well.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I want to put one of these on my converted saiga .223. I understand that this works with the stock saiga gas tube, but what about the barrel. Does anyone know if you need to have a lower hand guard retaining bracket for this setup or "notched barrel" or anything else? My saiga still has the STOCK hand guard on it and If I purchase the Chaos hand guard, I wouldn't want to spend all the extra money on other parts. Anything else needed to make this thing work???

Another thing I was concerned about was the "harmonics" of the barrel. I have heard of the UTG quad rail causing issues with the action/accuracy of the Saiga rifles. Anyone know if this rail affects opperation of the weapon?

Also, as of today, carolina shooters supply says they have these in stock. The Chaos website says they are on back order. Anyone ever bought these from carolina shooters supply? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Also, as of today, carolina shooters supply says they have these in stock. The Chaos website says they are on back order. Anyone ever bought these from carolina shooters supply? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

I can say Carolina Shooters Supply are good folks to deal with, I have done so many times!