If loading 00 buck for 12gauge......

I got 70 rounds out of 5 lbs. of Hornady 00.....

That would be 9 marbles a ea.

I don't often spend the money for Hornady.

But I'm trying out a new slug mold and needed

00 buck in a hurry.

I mostly get nickel plated 00 in 10 bs. bags

for about 50.00.

I may get 1 more bag just to see how many

rounds I get but I have the Lee 18 cav. Mold

on the way.

Soon I should be able to make some hard

buck for about 2.00 a lb.

I just thought I share.

• 4 weeks later...

It's working like a charm.....but when you get one

clean and prep...lee molds are cheep because of

lower Q control.

I get most of my casting info on castboolets.com

My buck and ball load works sweet!!!

But haven't shot my 00 buck 9 ea. Fed. low brass

reloads yet.

But I can bet big money that with casting my

own slugs and 00 buck will save me soooooooooo

oooooo much money.

It don't take to much time to cast...and what

time and expence I have spent is soooooo worth

it.

• 1 month later...

Wondering if you got your loads worked up and tested? I'm thinking about casting some OO buck for plinking and 3 gun matches. Would like a soft load that will cycle through a saiga 12. Also looking at the Lee mold. Is it working for you as far as economy and reloading time?

See the 12 ga. pet reload (read reply #1 at your own risk!!) thread.

I bought a mold for casting buckshot, and you can do it, but it's a lot of effort considering that you need at least 9 of them per load. I find it to be much easier to buy swaged buckshot than to cast my own, and the Hornady 5lb box is all I have been able to find around here. Time wise I am far better off to buy the buckshot and devote my casting time and lead stockpile to slugs or pistol bullets.

• Like 1

I made a shear that cuts the pellets off the spurs on the skiesunlimited mold. Which is most of the time you spend. I think me and my brother made 800+ lbs on that mold. I need to replace the pin as the holes are a little egged out. I prefer the skies unlimited, however we did mod ours a good bit. Longer handles and we recut it so it links the spurs in a solid stick.

I cast boolits like its a job, I normally have four molds to allow them to cool, and two melt pots to keep up. Most I did in a single run was 300 lbs of projectiles.

• Like 1

I made a shear that cuts the pellets off the spurs on the skiesunlimited mold. Which is most of the time you spend. I think me and my brother made 800+ lbs on that mold. I need to replace the pin as the holes are a little egged out. I prefer the skies unlimited, however we did mod ours a good bit. Longer handles and we recut it so it links the spurs in a solid stick.

That is the mold that I have. I modified a side cutters to cut the sprue off flush, and that is the part of the operation that sucks the most. Also, I found that no matter how hot I got the mold, I could never get more than about half of the cavities to fill out properly. Granted for buckshot you don't need them to be perfect, but some of them were pretty bad, and it's just annoying for somebody who has been casting for a long time to have that kind of trouble with a mold.

• 1 month later...

There are a lot of people who claim 8 pellets of 00buck work much better in a 12 ga, producing a better pattern, in particular. It would also allow you to make 12.5 % more shells with available lead. Someone please check my math. The castboolits site is the BEST resource anywhere for all your casting questions. Check it out if you have not allready.

• 2 weeks later...