Im looking at building some targets for my saiga just because paper gets boring to shoot at and clay pigeons are hard to throw by myself. I was wondering what you guys could suggest for some type of targets to shoot at when im out by myself on the farm shooting. preferably all types of firearms (pistol and medium rifles like an ak-47) if possible

Edited by lonestar2222003

I go to garage sales and pick up my targets. I love shooting at elmo dolls, you can usually find them for 50 cents or so. then you make them up as al quetta elmos. it's better if you have one that work, then when it's doing it's stupid little dance - blast it with 00 buck.

the other thing is buy some x-mas tress balls, then hang them from a politcal sign wire frame, at different heights and shoot them

post-22408-0-17389300-1312432681_thumb.jpg

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 1

that elmo is hilarious!

good idea i love to shoot random things like that

looks like im going to some garage sales!

thanks!!

if you want to freak the woman at the sale out, after you buy the thing, just say, "this will make a great target to shoot at". you wouldn't believe the "ohhhh you aren't really going to shoot elmo?" or sadness look on their faces.

I like to use metal sign frames as target stands. I prefer torso targets.

Just got a shitpile of zombie targets today as a matter of fact.

I shoot by myself a lot.. and I like to shoot clays. I've got a manual thrower, so I added a loop of rope to the release mechanism so that I can hook my foot through it to throw my own clays. I keep my S-12 slung, safety on, very carefully load up a clay and shoot... but it's a slow process. Gives you some additional practice with muzzle control though.

More often than not, when I want to bust clays I just lay a bunch of them out. I shoot inside of a dry pond, so I've pretty much got a wall of dirt that I can scatter them around on. I use those for the shotty, pistol, or rifle. Those are about the cheapest reactive target you can shoot.

thanx for the ideas i like the bowling pins idea never thought about those

not a problem, a friend of mine uses them, they last a long time, although I don't know how well they'd handle a .308 or 12 guage 00 buck or slugs. I don't use them because paper and cardboard are cheap.

1) Water jugs - so much fun with anything that expands. Pretty boring with pistols.

2) Echo the bowling pins

3) Spinner targets for your 22s. You can even get varieties that don't spin and you can shoot a specific spot to reset the target.

4) Variation on Elmo. Get stuffed animals for cheap, Cut open a few inch slit on the back and remove some of the stuffing. Replace that with a 1/2 pound tannerite reactive rifle target. Stand back when you shoot. :D

Worth mentioning if you are using bowling pins;Do NOT use anything lighter than #4 birdshot on them unless your are shooting them from close up.The 7.5 bulk pack from walmart with ricochet off of the pins and can screw you up.The further they are with the lighter ammo the worse it gets.

There are vendors on ebay that sell 8 inch steel plates with pads on the bottom(so they self stand)for cheap.I paid $140 for 12 of them.

Gotta say about the bowling pins (especially) and other hard targets, WEAR SAFETY GLASSES when shooting at these with a shotgun!! Birdshot do not penetrate the polymer coating on bowling pins well and bounce back, alot! I recommend only paper, clay pigeons, or plastic jugs/buckets for shotgun targets. Of course safety glasses should always be worn anyhow.

Gotta say about the bowling pins (especially) and other hard targets, WEAR SAFETY GLASSES when shooting at these with a shotgun!! Birdshot do not penetrate the polymer coating on bowling pins well and bounce back, alot! I recommend only paper, clay pigeons, or plastic jugs/buckets for shotgun targets. Of course safety glasses should always be worn anyhow.

Watch it with steel plates as well. We only shoot pins and steel with pistol and rifle.

For the shottys, I gather up scraps of plywood and trace out the standard full size torso target from some plastic military ones I have, then cut them out, some shorter than others as if they were prone, etc. Stake them in with some wood stakes and have at it. Realistic size for training. Cardboard cutouts will work as well.

For fun targets, one thing I use a lot are golf balls. I don't golf but buddies of mine who do have given me damn near a lifetime supply of pick-ups and range balls. Not much of a challenge for a shot shells, but 25 meters is good to hone pistol skills. Further out for rifle or slugs. Hit Wallyworld up right after Christmas. They sell cases of that spray snow for dirt cheap. Fun shit! We got some "unbreakable" Christmas ornaments as well. 5.56 NATO shatters them like glass. LOL! We don't use anything glass BTW. Pain in the ass to clean up, makes a fucking mess of your property or even worse, someone elses. If you want to get scientific, hit up a local Army Surplus store and try to find old ballistic helmets and flak vests. We used to use old Kevlar helmets and old school Kevlar flak jackets on the range to demonstrate to students/shooters what the rounds they are using will do to that stuff.

one target i really like is tennis balls, ideally for some smaller caliber rifle like a 22 so the thing wont get completely destroyed after one shot.

it always seemed like a cool idea to practice hitting a tennis ball, then hitting it again before it stops moving. but since i had that idea, every time i go to the range, there is a huge puddle of water on the ground from the rain. its hard to get a tennis ball to bounce when its sitting in a puddle of water.

as for shotguns though, id recommend targets that wont cause anything to ricochet back in your general direction. ive shredded a few gatorade bottles before, throw out 5-8 of them spaced out, then try to blast all of them as quickly as possible.

speaking of funny targets though, one time i shot a brittle rock about the size of a fist with my 30-06. probably very dangerous to do, but i got a pretty good laugh from it. ive never seen a rock explode like that. 021.gif021.gif

Edited by Cali_Armz