Any ammo that DOESN'T work well in s-.308's?

Does the S-308 handle pretty much what you feed it? The previous owner

has only used Federal Premium with good results. I have some American Eagle

rounds. Nor elegant match ammo, but want to use them up. Should they feed/fire OK?

Does the S-308 require certain rounds in order to have enough gas to operate the action?

Thought I'd get this noobie question out of the way before buying more loads.

Well, the pakastani POF ammo is said to be the worst there is...

It ran 100% in my saiga. I can't find anything it doesn't like. So far it seems to like the german DAG pretty well.

I haven't tried any higher dollar ammo in it yet, but I'm pretty sure anything within reason will still run fine.

To be honest, I really haven't ran more than a box of wolf through yet, but it did fine with it.

I'm pretty confident these guns are one of the best kept secrets in the gun world.

Edited by Tombs
  • Like 2

The tar sealed Indian ammo was hard to clean after.. Gun ate the quarter case I bought without an issue, well other then having some misfeeds with my cobbled together computer case mags :lolol: (I did not know better at the time).

Heck now that I think of it, I paid 8 cents a round for that crap....Hmm, wish I could go back and buy 20 cases of that junk.

Thanks guys, that pretty much answers it. My FFL buddy said he'd look around for

govt surplus stuff and see the prices he could get, so if it is US govt I might give it

a try. Hopefully no tar to clean out afterward.021.gif

Meanwhile I'll plink along with whatever the gun range has in stock.

Good to know these baby's aren't too particular.

Does the S-308 require certain rounds in order to have enough gas to operate the action?

I've loaded 110 grain bullets with quite low powder charges. It still cycled like a champ. I think anything you'd buy would be more than sufficient to cycle the rifle.

I tested some 15 year old hand loads this past weekend. I didn't know what would happen..... It gobbled em up and spit em out. I usually shoot WOLF and she loves it. If you want accuracy buy the expensive stuff, if you are just blowing shit up get the cheapest you can find.....it's an AK.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Mine WILL NOT CYCLE the blue German plastic loads. They GO OFF every time, and they are pretty much accurate! they just WILL NOT CYCLE the action... effectively they turn mine into a single shot. LOL.

Other than that... there is nothing mine will not fire, cycle, or eject without any problem. Accuracy of different things might leave a little bit to be desired... but as far as FUNCTION... everything but the blue plastic rounds work just fine...

:smoke:

Mine WILL NOT CYCLE the blue German plastic loads. They GO OFF every time, and they are pretty much accurate! they just WILL NOT CYCLE the action... effectively they turn mine into a single shot. LOL.

Other than that... there is nothing mine will not fire, cycle, or eject without any problem. Accuracy of different things might leave a little bit to be desired... but as far as FUNCTION... everything but the blue plastic rounds work just fine...

They are not supposed to cycle is my understanding.

• Like 1

They are not supposed to cycle is my understanding.

EXACTLY!!! :up:

are you saying it groups poorly or dosn't cycle?

Are you referring to me?

My 308 wont cycle every 4 to 5 rounds with the Tula. I tried different mags with the same result.

It runs fine with Brown Bear and Georgia Arms ammo

I have a feeling that could be solved with some simple tweeking.

@150gr or less. Not a hard and fast rule but technically correct.

Would using Hornady superperformance match 168gr A-MAX be a waste of money? Would you get a better group from a normal 150gr bullet through these barrels? I thought about trying this ammo out but thought I would ask first.

@150gr or less. Not a hard and fast rule but technically correct.

Would using Hornady superperformance match 168gr A-MAX be a waste of money? Would you get a better group from a normal 150gr bullet through these barrels? I thought about trying this ammo out but thought I would ask first.

Try it and see. Its a longer bullet and might kiss the rifling just right. Or the powder burn rate may be better in your rifle on that bullet. Re-loaders spend a lot of time getting that OAL and burn rate just right for a particular rifle so that bullet just touches the start of the twist if possible and they get the maximum velocity from a burn. Lot of factors, weight and twist rate just part of it.