I see another "Sons of Guns" build in the making....C'mon Will, Pony Up. smartbom and Armor, if you have the resources, and or, are hanging with Ghilliebear, I have no doubt you can make it happen. Price point is going to be tough. I guess if you can manufacture your trunion it opens up a lot more options for a pistol or carbine barrel choice. good luck

I see another "Sons of Guns" build in the making....C'mon Will, Pony Up. smartbom and Armor, if you have the resources, and or, are hanging with Ghilliebear, I have no doubt you can make it happen. Price point is going to be tough. I guess if you can manufacture your trunion it opens up a lot more options for a pistol or carbine barrel choice. good luck

I don't really hang with Gilliebear, or build any of my HK designs anymore. "Hollywood Gilliebear" did the videos of a couple of my prototypes though. After the whole thing with Jose Diaz, I lost all interest in HK's. I changed my screen name to ARMOR and moved on. The AK people are much more layed back and let me curse on the forum. My kinda people!!!!

I still look at some of the old videos of my inventions from time to time. It reminds me of all the money I pissed away.

Live and learn.

I do hope to include a 9mm AK to my collection in the future though.:rolleyes:

Edited by ARMOR

We already had Red Jacket built 2 sample AK 9mm units several years ago but they would not run reliably with all 9mm ammo and were a bit quirky.

I found pics of one of them while doing research. I think it was 2006?

With the resources Red Jacket has now, maybe the 3rd time will be the charm?

If they even have time for such a project.

SMARTBOMB >>>If you can build the 9mm AK's that cheap and they actually will work reliably with all 9MM ammo please contact our office we want to buy some from you !!!

funny you should say that. i have been (2nd amaen was giving advice) on cad designs to develop a 9mm blowback bolt and trunnion similar to a bizon/vityaz. i have gotten side tracked but have the models about 90% complete. the idea is to design the bolt/trunnion with ease of manufacturing in mind to keep cost low. i didnt realize there was a huge market or i would be staying up late at night cranking this out. in my head i calced the parts cost as this

bolt $50

trunnion $50

bent recvr $35

barrel $50

tapco g2 $20

furniture $50

ati mp5 mags $15

now economies of scale for a "real" production run could possibly trim %20 off these cost but be offset by labor.

If you pull this off, you can easily sell them for $700 at the dealer level, $600 distributor.

Your cost of putting one of these together is far less than what it would cost me for just one or two of your parts...

Just a virgin barrel for an AR in 9mm runs between $150-$250 which is what you have for the whole project (Lichtenberg directs people to buy surplus Sten or Suomi's and modding them to fit with a lathe, but they still cost more than $75-$85 if you can find them due to a lack of parts kits being imported with barrels).

Again, if you pull this off, you will definitely make a lot of money if you can build them for $216 plus labor.

the $216 is a hypothetical cost. the key parts, (receiver, g2, furniture, barrel) i have some reasonable pricing on. the bolt and trunnion are guesses. my cad models are being drawn with extreme ease of construction in mind. i've looked at some bizon images to get a decent idea how the russians built them and then tried to simplify them. once i get a complete 3d model i will see my local machinist to cut a few on the cnc. i have looked at almost every build on the www. i do not want to modify an existing bolt/carrier/trunnion even tho there are many superb builds doing just that.

my interest was purely to build myself a blowback 9mm (started as a 762x25 until ammo dried up)and did not even consider mass market. this is my concept (someone elses build)

TOK47.jpg

here is an early model of the bolt i was working on

blowbolt1.jpg

Edited by smartbomb
  • Like 1

the $216 is a hypothetical cost. the key parts, (receiver, g2, furniture, barrel) i have some reasonable pricing on. the bolt and trunnion are guesses. my cad models are being drawn with extreme ease of construction in mind. i've looked at some bizon images to get a decent idea how the russians built them and then tried to simplify them. once i get a complete 3d model i will see my local machinist to cut a few on the cnc. i have looked at almost every build on the www. i do not want to modify an existing bolt/carrier/trunnion even tho there are many superb builds doing just that.

my interest was purely to build myself a blowback 9mm (started as a 762x25 until ammo dried up)and did not even consider mass market. this is my concept (someone elses build)

TOK47.jpg

blowbolt1.jpg

I like that carrier. What about your extractor though?

Edited by ARMOR

TOK47.jpg

blowbolt1.jpg

+1 on the competed rifle! You could easily sell those for $700 even with a fixed stock! The only other game in that price range is the Beretta Carbine. When you get into the dedicated 9mm AR's or the MP5 style stuff, you are in the $1000 to 1300 range.

The 7.62x25 is something I wouldn't give up on. There will be more ammo in country by the end of the year.

From what I understand, there are warehouses of that stuff all over the eastern bloc countries.

If the 9mm is the only route you go, I think you will definitely have a good business and you already have one of the largest distributors waiting for you to send them rifles! I love this forum!

ARMOR, that's unique to anything I've seen posted. Most retained the original bolt welded to the carrier and I don't remember seeing a lower carrier profile like yours. I'm betting your design still allows easy service of the extractor and firing pin?

ARMOR, that's unique to anything I've seen posted. Most retained the original bolt welded to the carrier and I don't remember seeing a lower carrier profile like yours. I'm betting your design still allows easy service of the extractor and firing pin?

That pic is from a true Bizon, but my carrier is almost identical to it.

Edited by ARMOR
  • 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about making a Vityaz SN clone for some time. Ever since I saw one I wanted one. But seeing as cost is a factor don't see myself getting one any time soon.

Is there a way to order the magazines from the factory? For that matter can you order the mag release as well?

It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do. Make a vityaz clone. The market for a 9mm ak is huge. If there was only a way to get the price point down they would sell like crazy. Hell even an AK pistol in 9mm would sell like crazy.

Maybe use a soumi barrel, H&K magazines, fashion a magwell, blowback bolt (which are already out there for soumi ak builds), some welding and fitting. Maybe something will come of the 9mm AK one day?

If I had the time or shop or tools I'd take a stab at it.

I think a 9mm SD/AK would be cool.

I though this rough idea together in about 10 minutes. Needed to slide the magwell back in the pic, but you get the general idea

post-27155-0-17154200-1315337490_thumb.jpg

Edited by ARMOR

I just had a stroke of insanity... a 9mm ak that uses glock mags!

Now I need money and the crazy bastards to do it!

<.< Think I could Get tony to do it?

A pistol like this that took Glock mags?

post-27155-0-17025000-1315343781_thumb.jpg

armor thats a good shot of a bizon bolt. i have a few but not from that angle. sounds like you are on the way. if my crazy ass summer would ever settle down i could finish the models and get my cnc guy to cut me some prototypes. no light at the end of the tunnel yet and it looks like late october before i can even think about getting back to it. i am heading back to nigeria to work for a few weeks and wondering if my "host" can secure me a bizon example from his sources. would be nice if i could bring back a carrier and trunnion/barrel.

what i have found tho, mp5 mags are very close dimensionally to vityaz mags. there are several sources and the prices are reasonable.

Edited by smartbomb

Armor, I like that!!! Is that one of yours, or just a pic from the web? If it's yours, I'd love to see/hear more about it. Looks like an HK grip/trigger guard?

No, It's a "Master FLG".

Only 20 were made

On the 9mm front, I was looking at changing the barrel on my blowback 7.62x25 pistol build, and running 9mm in the same PPS43 mags. Seems to "feed" (with my thumb pushing the rounds) ok from the left side, but not the right with the 9mm FMJ. Not sure why. It is almost completely locked up. Tried again with x25 to make sure it wasn't a mag issue, and it fed smoothly from both sides. I could have sworn that others have used the PPS43 mags with 9mm?

On the 9mm front, I was looking at changing the barrel on my blowback 7.62x25 pistol build, and running 9mm in the same PPS43 mags. Seems to "feed" (with my thumb pushing the rounds) ok from the left side, but not the right with the 9mm FMJ. Not sure why. It is almost completely locked up. Tried again with x25 to make sure it wasn't a mag issue, and it fed smoothly from both sides. I could have sworn that others have used the PPS43 mags with 9mm?

Yes, azhonkey made a multical AK that took the 43 mag and would fire TOK and 9mm ammo. The barrels were changed depending on what caliber was being fired with an uzi style barrel setup

Edited by ARMOR