<.< Think I could Get tony to do it?

Fat chance.

I asked Tony about doing a Saiga chambered in 54R, and I was serious.

Flat out said, "No", doesn't have the time/inclination to do any one-offs for anybody.

Money be damned, he is flush with cash flow doing conversions.

If he is going to do anything it is going to be because He wants it, or it will make Big money.

The exact two reasons he is messing with the MKA 1919.

Could always bring the idea to Red Jacket....It has to be better then some of the silly "ideas" he prolly gets sent everyday these days :lolol:

Although I like most of the RJ ideas I agree that that is your best bet.

I seem to remember a thread where Will stated that he has been asked to make a "double barreled three cylinder" gun...... :lolol: They must be getting a TON of off the wall stuff, and not the good fun kind either... THATS what im referring to, I enjoy the show :super:

Short version is yes, you can probably make it. Lichtenberg Research made magwell's and parts (2XTM) for 9mm and x25 conversions. It involves a lot of bolt /spring work as the majority are blow back. I did one a few years back and it was so maddening that I disassembled it and sold off the parts, welded the receiver back up and used it for a 5.45. I would never feel safe selling a complete gun as a hobby builder, my guess is if you can get a professional to bite on it, it's not going to be cheap. The main reason I did mine was the AK parts kits started coming without barrels and LR did a group buy on the magwells. Lots of info on the AKfiles forum from a few years ago. doubletapme (2xtm) and azhonkey were two of the more experienced builders.

post-1866-0-29736000-1313373257_thumb.jpg

post-1866-0-11852600-1313373267_thumb.jpg

Edited by 6500rpm
  • Like 1

check 2 places. gunco and weapons guild. there a tons of pistol caliber builds. i am working on a straight blowback now. my plan is to use mp5 mags but many are running sten, ppsh. the glock mag is not too difficult, it will only require a magwell.

The main advantage of the AK is the uber-reliable gas system. With a 9mm, you use a straight blowback operation that doesn't need any gas system.

Unless the ergonomics are your primary goal for an AK, you would be better off with an Uzi, AR, MP5, MAC or other style in 9mm and it would be much cheaper.

You might be able to afford an original semi MP5 or full auto MAC for the cost of an AK 9mm build.

Got 2 7.62x25 AK pistols that I built. One blowback, and one gas op using Doubletapme's write-up. I used an Erie Ordinance Disposal magwell and bolt for the blowback, and a PPS43 magwell welded into the receiver on the gas op. Blowback works great. Gas op has some minor feed issues, that I think I have worked out. Doubletapme's build used a single stack PPSH41 mag which in retrospect would have been the way to go. I was trying to get out cheap by using the same mags for both builds, and went with the double stack. It feeds much better from the right side of the mag than the left. I have done some more profiling, and I think I have it worked out now. I just have to go test again. I can't find a pic of the completed gas op, just mid build mock-up.

post-34941-0-07750500-1312993206_thumb.jpg

post-34941-0-90775300-1312993404_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

You might be able to afford an original semi MP5 or full auto MAC for the cost of an AK 9mm build.

idk, atlantic arms has an mp5 for $2500. i can build 6 or 7 9mm ak for that kind of money.

Yeah if you already have the tools and the patience (i.e. lathe for the barrel, folding and welding stuff, rivet tools etc.).

Having a gunsmith do a one-off for you would likely cost quite a bit (figuring minimum 8 hours at $100/hour plus the cost of the kit, barrel blank, magwell, receiver, etc...

This might be your calling if you can do them for under $450 each!

Edited by BuffetDestroyer

idk, atlantic arms has an mp5 for $2500. i can build 6 or 7 9mm ak for that kind of money.

SMARTBOMB >>>If you can build the 9mm AK's that cheap and they actually will work reliably with all 9MM ammo please contact our office we want to buy some from you !!!

Build 9mm AKs for $416 or less? Build them and the world will beat a path to your door... Literally! Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 1

Smartbomb is correct, building a one off 9 mm for yourself for under $450.00 is actually pretty easy, because you aren't factoring in your labor hours the way you would if you were a business. Now to actually build them for Atlantic as a business, you could lower the cost of the components required to build them, by buying in bulk, but then once you factor in your labor, they will probably be more in the $$650.00 - $700.00 range.

I'm planning to do a 9 mm blowback build similar to pic posted on post #8 of this thread. With the way my 7.62x25 blowback runs, I have no doubt that a 9 mm of similar design should run great as well. Differing from the OP though, I am not interested in using Glock mags. Would actually love to build a copy of Azzhonkeys switch barrel set-up. Just need more time and money.

SMARTBOMB >>>If you can build the 9mm AK's that cheap and they actually will work reliably with all 9MM ammo please contact our office we want to buy some from you !!!

Blaine,

I'm also working on a prototype that is about finished.

I'm quite sure you remember me from the HK's I used to convert and had Ghilliebear do his full auto video's of. You even asked me to design and build a multi caliber rifle a few years back.

Edited by ARMOR

If price is your only concern you can always go with a hi-point you can usually find themw for $200-$300. Theyre cheap, and ugly but from what I hear reliable and fun. As for the 9mm ak I want to build one that is gas operated in fact it will probably be next endeavor but I would pay a ton of money for one. The point there is the fun of building it! As stated earlier for the amount of money it would cost to have a production 9mm ak you can have a very nice production 9mm carbine of some other type.

I just don't see anything a 9mm AK will do that a 9mm AR or Beretta won't do better at this point. Price might be a factor in the AK vs AR game, but I think the Beretta CX4 comes in at around $700.:rolleyes:

I don't think anyone's looking at a 9mm AK to fill some untouched void in the gun market. Just another fun gun to have, as long as the price is right.

I had a 9mm AR and ended up selling off the upper and mag block to fund another project. Of course..........now I want another 9mm AR! :lolol: It ran like a champ.

funny you should say that. i have been (2nd amaen was giving advice) on cad designs to develop a 9mm blowback bolt and trunnion similar to a bizon/vityaz. i have gotten side tracked but have the models about 90% complete. the idea is to design the bolt/trunnion with ease of manufacturing in mind to keep cost low. i didnt realize there was a huge market or i would be staying up late at night cranking this out. in my head i calced the parts cost as this

bolt $50

trunnion $50

bent recvr $35

barrel $50

tapco g2 $20

furniture $50

ati mp5 mags $15

now economies of scale for a "real" production run could possibly trim %20 off these cost but be offset by labor.

If someone makes a $500ish 9mm AK, I'm game. 9mm carbines are fun as hell.

I would bet a top quality 9mm AK would be well over $500.00 because of the design and machining work involved to bring it to the US market, but I don't know for sure either?

If it were possible to find a Bizon or PP-19-01 clone for around $500, I'd be all over that. I've long since wondered why the Russians never made a civilian importable (semi-auto, 16" barrel) version of either weapon. 9mm is cheap, easy to find, and a great round to use when introducing someone to shooting.

So yeah, I'd buy one if it were an option. And then I'd SBR the shit out of it. :super: