Romanian Draco AK Pistol,, Useful or Novelty ?

I got rid of my AR's and am now loving the AK's which I always have but I guess the "Black Rifles" were what all my friends were doing and I joined right in,, so I have been bitten by the AK-47 Bug and still not all that familiar with them yet but learning as I go and ya'll are AWESOME folks!! So now I reckon I am already looking for another AK,, Centerfire has Hungarian AMD-65's on built FEG receivers by TGI for $399,,, REALLY NICE rifles than I looked over and saw a Romanian Draco AK pistol $349,, COOL :super: I thought too myself !! But are they really a useful, reliable tool or are they more of a novelty piece mainly for a HUGE amount of fun factor. I would have bought the AMD-65 today had I not seen the Draco but I wanted to ask ya'll first before laying down the coin ! I am still leaning towards the AMD-65 because it just seems like an excellent deal and a quality tool,, but DANG that Draco sure is COOL!! They don't have layaway so it will be one or the other for now.

What you say ??

The Draco is way cool and very accurate in the 25 yard range and beyond. Fun as hell to shoot, and can throw out a three foot fireball in damp weather.

Cheap to shoot and maintain.

The AMD is a very nice gun, but is loud as hell.

I'd get a draco and do the forms to get it made into an SBR, they're very accurate out to 50 yards and beyond I'd imagine. They handle well and they'd be a perfect CQB style rifle with a triangle or ACE folder attached, plus every one I've seen is build like a tank. Plus it's just hard to beat a poor man's krinkov at around $800 when it's all said and done.. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKPFpDYqSLY

WOW,,, it seems everyone is happy with the Draco. Looks like I am headed back to the GS to pick one up today and wait on the AMD-65, as quick as the Dracos come in they dissappear off the shelf just as fast. They had 21 on hand yesterday that were already spoken for but a couple people had not come too claim them yet and were holding me one just in case.

WOW,,, it seems everyone is happy with the Draco. Looks like I am headed back to the GS to pick one up today and wait on the AMD-65, as quick as the Dracos come in they dissappear off the shelf just as fast. They had 21 on hand yesterday that were already spoken for but a couple people had not come too claim them yet and were holding me one just in case.

KYREDNECK... they are really fun to shoot and are definately a CQB weapon. Don't relay on it for 100yd plus shots but close in you have rifle firepower in a compact 5.5lb package. Definately check out Guido's thread with the hot rodded Draco's. I liked all the great ideas the folks had come up with. I tweeked mine a bit.

post-24333-0-42702200-1312909473_thumb.jpg

KYREDNECK... they are really fun to shoot and are definately a CQB weapon. Don't relay on it for 100yd plus shots but close in you have rifle firepower in a compact 5.5lb package. Definately check out Guido's thread with the hot rodded Draco's. I liked all the great ideas the folks had come up with. I tweeked mine a bit.

Humbly disagree. I used to have a Bulgy ak pistol. No problems at a 100yrds. Sold that before I knew what sbr was...stupid!

Now I own a Arsenal Bulgarian factory sbr and have no problems hitting targets out to 300yrds (the stock helps a lot :D)

To the OP. If you can try it before you buy it do that. Its one thing to see it and finger F it its another thing to actually use it. Might not be your cup of tea.

BTW sbrs' rock!!

Humbly disagree. I used to have a Bulgy ak pistol. No problems at a 100yrds. Sold that before I knew what sbr was...stupid!

Now I own a Arsenal Bulgarian factory sbr and have no problems hitting targets out to 300yrds (the stock helps a lot :D)

To the OP. If you can try it before you buy it do that. Its one thing to see it and finger F it its another thing to actually use it. Might not be your cup of tea.

BTW sbrs' rock!!

Fondled her at the GS,, LOVE IT !! But still diggin' the AMD-65. None of my Buds have a Draco or AMD most are milled Bulgarians or Saiga's and are nice but I want to be different.. They are gonna hold the Draco till closing bell Friday till I decide. :unsure:

Edited by Kyredneck

I'm gonna go against the trend and say get the AMD-65. The Draco in my opinion is only a toy unless you SBR it. The AMD is going to do everything you expect it to without the hassle of the extra paperwork and cost.

Plus you could always substitute another muzzle break or flash hider to tame the noise down if thats an issue to you...

I'd like to SBR a Draco, but my lousy state is kind of stupid about that kind of thing. I'm still considering getting one, but I'd go with another full size rifle first. Still, if the cool factor is what you're after, it's got a handful of it.

I'd like to SBR a Draco, but my lousy state is kind of stupid about that kind of thing. I'm still considering getting one, but I'd go with another full size rifle first. Still, if the cool factor is what you're after, it's got a handful of it.

No intention to SBR and although the Draco is definantly cool I am more after functionality, reliability and able to perform in a SHTF, survival type sceniero and both these guns seem to fit that bill for around $400. The more I read on the AMD I am finding out I can only use American made mags to keep it 922 compliant or I gotta change a few things on the gun to be able to use foreign 30rnd. AK mags and keep it 922r,, as bad as I hate too say it I'm not really diggin' the U.S made mag choices for the AMD if that's the case. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Depands who built it and how many US parts were used.

100yds? Hmmmm... pretty good shootin' Arik. When I first shot it we had the targets set up at 50yds. It did well at that range but at the longer distances I'll stick with one of my other AK's. I wish I could SBR it here but I'm on the Left Coast and that's not an option.

We are talking about hitting a target not Moa. Its still a 7.62 and they can reach 100yards easy. Try it you'd be surprised once you get used to the fact that it has mo stock.

Besides there are guys using Glocks out to 200yards

My Draco is certainly a shooter. Brown Bear at 50 yds using only the Grip Pod got me 5 5-shot groups in a row under 2", 3 were under 1.5" and the first one was a 1" ragged hole.

The definitely have the potential to be effective <200 yd platforms...

Edited by abyssdncr

My Draco is certainly a shooter. Brown Bear at 50 yds using only the Grip Pod got me 5 5-shot groups in a row under 2", 3 were under 1.5" and the first one was a 1" ragged hole.

The definitely have the potential to be effective <200 yd platforms...

I hope you have a stock on it if you are using a Gripod.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I owned one for a while but soon sold it off, its a cool range toy for sure. Honestly though it isnt really that much shorter than a regular AK with a folder. Yes the stock helps but $200 just to put a stock on015.gif . Im not calling anyone a liar but from my personal experience its good to maybe 50yds and far less with rapid fire. I can ring steel plates at 100 and 150 every time with my regular AK so I saw little point in owning another AK that couldnt match that.

IMHO, it is useful as a base for an SBR. I have no real use for a 5.5 Lbs overly large pistol with a tremendous muzzle blast. I do want one to SBR though. The 7.62x39 round loses very little velocity going down to the shorter barrel. An SBR Draco should have no problem shooting at the same ranges as a 16" AK. The absence of stock greatly detracts from the handling and shootability of the pistol versions of rifles in my experience.

Of course it's useful! It's an AK pistol, I have read posts on this forum of guys that carry them in their car. It's not a "concealable" hand gun, but I could have it in my car with a 100rd drum if I wanted to, can't do that with a rifle.