Romanian Draco AK Pistol,, Useful or Novelty ?

I could have it in my car with a 100rd drum if I wanted to, can't do that with a rifle.

I can. I've never quite understood the envisioned role of this car ak pistol. If trouble is away from the car and I can get to the car I'm leaving. If trouble is while I'm in the car using the go pedal is often the solution. For times its not, I'm not sure where in my car I would store the thing in a way it would be more accessible than my concealed carry pistol. Also with in the confines of a car I imagine it is harder to use than a traditional pistol, even more so if it has a drum mag in it. Furthermore, I bet the blast is pretty intolerable inside a car.

Where do people that keep these in their car store them to be accessible enough to be used quickly if they had to be but also secure?

I guess its fine to carry one in the car because one can, but I don't see it being particularly useful at least for defensive purposes. Outside of defense I'm not sure what I would ever use it for that I'd need it in my car. I guess its handy just in case TEOTWAWKI happens to come about while one is out for milk. Honestly I'd imagine it is more likely to get stolen out of my car than to ever be used for anything.

I could have it in my car with a 100rd drum if I wanted to, can't do that with a rifle.

I can. I've never quite understood the envisioned role of this car ak pistol. If trouble is away from the car and I can get to the car I'm leaving. If trouble is while I'm in the car using the go pedal is often the solution. For times its not, I'm not sure where in my car I would store the thing in a way it would be more accessible than my concealed carry pistol. Also with in the confines of a car I imagine it is harder to use than a traditional pistol, even more so if it has a drum mag in it. Furthermore, I bet the blast is pretty intolerable inside a car.

Where do people that keep these in their car store them to be accessible enough to be used quickly if they had to be but also secure?

I guess its fine to carry one in the car because one can, but I don't see it being particularly useful at least for defensive purposes. Outside of defense I'm not sure what I would ever use it for that I'd need it in my car. I guess its handy just in case TEOTWAWKI happens to come about while one is out for milk. Honestly I'd imagine it is more likely to get stolen out of my car than to ever be used for anything.

I never understood the whole "trunk gun" phenomina either.

Of course it's useful! It's an AK pistol, I have read posts on this forum of guys that carry them in their car. It's not a "concealable" hand gun, but I could have it in my car with a 100rd drum if I wanted to, can't do that with a rifle.

Seriously Draco with 100rd drum? Maybe if they are making a Mad Max remake it might be useful, but real world what are you going to do with it? I just cant see any reason to be walking around with an AK47 be it either CC or in the truck.

Edited by cbr

I think they are if you want a lighter AK to haul around. I don't know if many of you have hauled a fully loaded AK around all day. They get heavy.

I'm going to get one of the mini dracos. For when I'm out hunting hog. My mosin only shoots so fast. It would be nice to have a good back up in 7.62x39. When the piggy desides it didn't like getting shot and charges. Or if I get swarmed by a whole mess of them and need something to get them away from me while I run for the hills!

Edited by MH12194

I think they are if you want a lighter AK to haul around. I don't know if many of you have hauled a fully loaded AK around all day. They get heavy.

I'm going to get one of the mini dracos. For when I'm out hunting hog. My mosin only shoots so fast. It would be nice to have a good back up in 7.62x39. When the piggy desides it didn't like getting shot and charges. Or if I get swarmed by a whole mess of them and need something to get them away from me while I run for the hills!

The Draco isnt that much lighter than the full size AK as you only give up a few inches of barrel. The AK is extremely light I take my 308 hog hunting all the time. I dont get it you say the AK is too heavy but you want to carry a mosin plus a draco?? Why not just a rifle and maybe a .45 or a knife to finish them off if needed.

The Draco isnt that much lighter than the full size AK as you only give up a few inches of barrel. The AK is extremely light I take my 308 hog hunting all the time. I dont get it you say the AK is too heavy but you want to carry a mosin plus a draco?? Why not just a rifle and maybe a .45 or a knife to finish them off if needed.

I'm just try'n to talk myself into one tongue.png

Plus have you seen the price of .45 acp these days? Geeze.

A knife? Wow I never want to get that close to one. The hogs here in Texas don't mess around.

I'm just try'n to talk myself into one tongue.png

Plus have you seen the price of .45 acp these days? Geeze.

A knife? Wow I never want to get that close to one. The hogs here in Texas don't mess around.

i live near houston and go hog hunting just about every other week, I use my Saiga 308 so just about 100% of the time the are dead with the first shot if not it is sometimes more humane to just drive a knife into their heart. I probable would buy another Draco if I could find one for a decent price but id pass on the mini.

The AK is extremely light

Compared to what? I would not call the AK an extremely light gun.

M1, M249, M1014, Saiga 308 the AK is very light

I think the correct description would be the AK is light compared to a bunch of of other really heavy guns. The m249? Really? Yes it is light compared to a 17 lb SAW. Which is a particularly heavy gun. It is also light compared to a number of 50 BMGs, etc. At 7 lbs it is a lbs and half lighter than a big 12 guage shotgun (although one you insert a loaded 30 round steel mag a big chunk of the difference evaporates). If the AK is very light then what is a 6 lbs lightweight AR? Or a 5 lbs Kifaru rifle? Or a 4.5 lbs kel tec rifle? I'm not saying it is particularly heavy but the AK does not warrant the adjective "extremely" when calling it light. I can get a 4.5 Lbs 300 ACC Novekse Rouge hunter if I use a polymer lower. If a 7 lbs AK is extremely light what would a rifle like that be?

I am a bit bewildered by you reasoning too. You say AK is extremely light compared to two guns that weight about 8.5 lbs. Most stamped AKs are about 7 lbs. So that is roughly 1.5 lbs difference. A difference you say warrants calling one extremely light compared to the other. However just prior to it you said:

The Draco isnt that much lighter than the full size AK as you only give up a few inches of barrel.

The draco is reported to weigh 5.5 lbs ( I don't have one to put on a scale). That is of course the same lbs and a half difference. If the Draco isn't much lighter how can the x39 AK be very light compared to the S308?

• 3 months later...

Practical, definitely.

My favorite truck gun, stored in the back of my SUV under the cargo compartment but soon to live in a passenger seat back spot. We have bear where I live and my carry gun is way to small for bear but the draco can be loaded in the truck under my CHL.

Wether tucked against the cheek in an "archer hold" or held rigidly forward against it's single point sling it is very accurate, sometimes even beating friends full sized AK's thanks to reduced barrel whip. It's accuracy was something I wasn't expecting when I bought it.

a draco in pistol configuration may take a little getting used to when firing, but other than that, they are very capable firearms, powerful, and damn reliable. it really is alot of firepower in a small package. dracos are also very exotic looking. as a firearms enthusiast, you cant help but get excited holding one.

id say get the draco first, you will not be disappointed with it

• 2 weeks later...

a draco in pistol configuration may take a little getting used to when firing, but other than that, they are very capable firearms, powerful, and damn reliable. it really is alot of firepower in a small package. dracos are also very exotic looking. as a firearms enthusiast, you cant help but get excited holding one.

id say get the draco first, you will not be disappointed with it

I debated this for a while, then the oppertunity came to buy one at a fair price when everybody couldn't find one. So I took the leap, and I've been smiling ever since. I got the mini, and with a few modifications to make it my own...I can't wait to get another!! As somebody else said lots of fire power in a small package and far more controlable than what one might anticipate it to be. At first it may seem akward...but one 30 rnd mag and you'll fall in love.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I got rid of my AR's and am now loving the AK's which I always have but I guess the "Black Rifles" were what all my friends were doing and I joined right in,, so I have been bitten by the AK-47 Bug and still not all that familiar with them yet but learning as I go and ya'll are AWESOME folks!! So now I reckon I am already looking for another AK,, Centerfire has Hungarian AMD-65's on built FEG receivers by TGI for $399,,, REALLY NICE rifles than I looked over and saw a Romanian Draco AK pistol $349,, COOL :super: I thought too myself !! But are they really a useful, reliable tool or are they more of a novelty piece mainly for a HUGE amount of fun factor. I would have bought the AMD-65 today had I not seen the Draco but I wanted to ask ya'll first before laying down the coin ! I am still leaning towards the AMD-65 because it just seems like an excellent deal and a quality tool,, but DANG that Draco sure is COOL!! They don't have layaway so it will be one or the other for now.

What you say ??

I sold mine about 9 months ago because I had relegated it to pure novelty. I wish I still had it. I would SBR it if I did.

I had a Draco I purchased 15 months ago, & it shot just fine. But, the novelty factor wore off. Also, I paid $369 when I bought it, but realized that since the going rate on the used ones seems to be $550, I decided to sell it since there are no new ones at Century. So before the shipload of them arrives, I sold it for $550. It was nice, but the least favorite of all my AK's. GARY N4KVE

I'd like to SBR a Draco, but my lousy state is kind of stupid about that kind of thing. I'm still considering getting one, but I'd go with another full size rifle first. Still, if the cool factor is what you're after, it's got a handful of it.

No intention to SBR and although the Draco is definantly cool I am more after functionality, reliability and able to perform in a SHTF, survival type sceniero and both these guns seem to fit that bill for around $400. The more I read on the AMD I am finding out I can only use American made mags to keep it 922 compliant or I gotta change a few things on the gun to be able to use foreign 30rnd. AK mags and keep it 922r,, as bad as I hate too say it I'm not really diggin' the U.S made mag choices for the AMD if that's the case. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If bought as a rifle/carbine, the AMD should have all the required 922 parts in it already. (Beware of "home-builds".) It probably has at least a US receiver and FCG. If it's assembled as a pistol, 922r doesnt apply. In that case, you can use whatever mag you like in either the Draco or AMD. If you SBR the pistol, however, you're back to playing the 922r game again.

That said, I've owned both as pistols and SBR's. I prefer the Draco SBR to the AMD SBR (The Draco is a tad shorter and I didn't care for the AMD's stock, fore-grip or muzzle break). As pistols, neither was much more than a "fire and light show" at the range.

Macbeau sends...

Hello

When SBR'd and suppressed, it's approx. the same length as an unmod'ed AK rifle, about as accurate, with no pyrotechnics, and relatively quiet.

Pretty sweet deal, in my book. Not to mention really damn reliable. I'm gonna try a Red Star FCG in one of mine, I think that may be the ticket.....

JMHO...

-guido

"God Loves Liberty"

• Like 1