Saiga parts meet Mr. Oven

Well, I got bored and decided to have a little curious fun.

I took a TC Arms Contender walnut forearm, an Izmash saiga mag, an Izmash saiga forearm, a glock mag loader, and an Arsenal waffle mag and placed them into an aluminum foil lined oven tray.

I set the intitial oven temperature at 250 F and allowed the parts to sit for 30 minute intervals at increasing temperatures. My intention was to observe what happens at the different set temperature points I use. I was quite surprised at how most of the parts became heavily damaged during the last interval that experienced a temperature as high as 455 F but some of the parts appeared to have been more damaged than others during the rise between 405 to 455 F. From this experiment, I would conclude that the stock Saiga factory forearm, a wood handguard, and the Arsenal plastic handguard (made of the same plastic as the waffle mag) would easily survive up to 400 degrees F of direct barrel contact heat. Beyond this point, I think the Arsenal handguard has the edge in surviving because it showed the least amount of deformation and would also have the added benefit of a stainless steel heat shield which is not even a factor in this experiment.

28vd9og.jpg

a47o6d.jpg

2prgqap.jpg

339pw1d.jpg

qobuyf.jpg

2gtbsat.jpg

2ibj30p.jpg

1zgx5vr.jpg

• Like 2