Customized Saiga 12 usage in Illinois?

Not sure if this is the right forum for this as I'm new to the Saiga-12 community and haven't found this elsewhere. Does anyone know if I could have a customized S12 in Illinios, and or customize it? Also, where could I read up on this? I'm moving to the Springfield area from out-of-state in the next 2-3 months and also trying to get my new S12 customized but worried that I might run into a stone wall here and be stuck holding the bag with a shotgun I can't use.

Just bought a S12 about a month ago and been looking into getting it customized, however didn't expect a recent promotion to a new position last week which will be out of state for me. Thank you for your responses and patience.

- C

I believe as long as you are outside of Cook County you will be OK. The only thing that is a pain for my friends in IL is that you have to get a FOID card in order to own guns and buy/transport ammunition. So make sure to apply for it as soon as you have an IL drivers license.

But I was with a friend once in a shop in IL that had an S12 on the wall and Beta C-mags for the AR in the display case.

Yes, you will need a FOID card (Firearm Owners ID). You can apply for one at Gander Mountain or most any sporting goods store that deals in firearms or shooting ranges and FFL dealers. You can also print off an application on the Illinois State Police website, attach picture and send it in with a fee. They'll use your DL photo anyway but want a current picture for the app.

I lived in Springfield for about 15yrs, its a hole!

D'Arcy's Pint and The Barrelhead have some very good food. Be sure to order a "Horseshoe"! ;)

Edited by Mullet Man

Thanks for the info on the FOID. We don't have that crap here in WI. Just as I was going to get my CCW for concealed carry, I'm moved up to a new role out of state. Can't say no to it in this economy! Can I fill out the FOID prior to moving to IL? Thx.

D'Arcy's Pint and The Barrelhead have some very good food. Be sure to order a "Horseshoe"! ;)

That's where I'm moving to. I've been to D'Arcy's Pint before and had their horseshoe. HUGE plate! Waitresses were good-looking too. Haven't tried Barrelhead yet. Called up and can't believe that IL doesn't have an open-carry law. I know they're the last state that doesn't have concealed-carry, but didn't know they didn't even have open-carry.

Yes, FOIDs are quite embarrasing, especially when you talk about them to out of staters!

I'm not sure about applying for one before you move, i've never done it.

Search thru the menu on the left under firearms for info....

http://www.isp.state.il.us/

We've been working on carry for sometime now and its been getting closer and closer but i refuse to hold my breathe.

Also try out Monty's sub shop in Springtucky, they're the best subs around!

well it is good to know there is some like minded people closer then i think. maybe i will see you at pec. sometime i am always wearing a tromix,red jacket or miss. auto arms shirt. not all at once though ...ha ha !

• 4 months later...

I believe as long as you are outside of Cook County you will be OK. The only thing that is a pain for my friends in IL is that you have to get a FOID card in order to own guns and buy/transport ammunition. So make sure to apply for it as soon as you have an IL drivers license.

But I was with a friend once in a shop in IL that had an S12 on the wall and Beta C-mags for the AR in the display case.

Sorry to bump up an old topic, but I didn't want to start a new one. In my previous posts, I had NYS S12 questions. Similar to the OP, I'm moving to Illinois, to one of the adjacent counties west of Cook County.

My question is, how long does it take to establish residency and receive a driver's license, which is required for the FOID card?

Secondly, I've heard that until one establishes residency, one can own firearms, but cannot buy/transport ammunition. It also not a good idea to have people see them. Is this out-of-state clause true, or should I leave the firearms (only long rifles/shotguns; for now ;-)) at the folk's place until I get my FOID?

Thanks.

Edited by jdjack

Sorry to bump up an old topic, but I didn't want to start a new one. In my previous posts, I had NYS S12 questions. Similar to the OP, I'm moving to Illinois, to one of the adjacent counties west of Cook County.

My question is, how long does it take to establish residency and receive a driver's license, which is required for the FOID card?

Secondly, I've heard that until one establishes residency, one can own firearms, but cannot buy/transport ammunition. It also not a good idea to have people see them. Is this out-of-state clause true, or should I leave the firearms (only long rifles/shotguns; for now ;-)) at the folk's place until I get my FOID?

Thanks.

I would call the Illinois State Police and ask them. They run the FOID program here in Illinois. Best answer should come from them.

Questions may be directed to the ISP FOID Section by phone at 217-782-7980 between 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. CST Monday through Friday.

Yes, you will need a FOID card (Firearm Owners ID). You can apply for one at Gander Mountain or most any sporting goods store that deals in firearms or shooting ranges and FFL dealers. You can also print off an application on the Illinois State Police website, attach picture and send it in with a fee. They'll use your DL photo anyway but want a current picture for the app.

Love the Barrelhead, my parents have been friends with the Davlins for a while so that was a regular place for us. It's a shame about the tornados a few years back but the place looks better than ever now. Have you been recently?