Saiga .223 Conversion to Galil

As I remember the Tapco Galil mags fit and feed fine with a bullet guide installed.

Also how would one install the sights? As in this picture. And the Galil vertical charging handle?

galil2uf8.jpg

There are a few business members that can install the handle and sights......

post-22193-0-96845500-1312937919_thumb.jpg

As I remember the Tapco Galil mags fit and feed fine with a bullet guide installed.

Also how would one install the sights? As in this picture. And the Galil vertical charging handle?

galil2uf8.jpg

There are a few business members that can install the handle and sights......

I'm just wondering on how I could do this myself, the handle seem kinda hard but is it?. But the Iron sights, are those g3 iron sights, and how can I get those on?Plus is their a mag adaptor for Galil Mags to work in Saiga 223, I know you can modify the mags, but I'm

kinda weary of doing that, just because I might get a real galil in the far future.

Edited by Armed Hunter

I've done a few rear sight-on-cover installs in the last few years. Not doing Galil repro's but just because thats what the person wanted. In 2 cases I silver soldered the sight to the cover using a jig I made. The other I welded but only because I did not have any good silver solder in the shop at the time. I've mentioned it on another thread but I'm a big fan of good silver solder and you probably wouldn't believe the tensile strength when done right. At any rate, thats what I did. As far as the charging handle, I have not done it myself but have done similar mods on other semi-auto rifles. The most recent was on an SKS for a customer who had lost some fingers and wanted to be able to cycle the action without making their damaged hand sore. A person could break out their "Dremel Ninja" skills or file and then fabricate a bolt handle or buy one and then weld it on. However, if it were me I would be spending some time on the mill doing the prep work and if I couldn't find somebody who made handles for this conversion I would be fabricating one.

I guess I'm saying as far as the sight go you can do it yourself as long as you are careful of the geometry and practice a little with high tensile silver solder (learning how it flows and won't flow, temperature control and learning what it will and will not do). Be sure and use one of the products out there to keep the solder from flowing where you don't want it unless you have practiced some and can control the flow. As far as the bolt handle goes it will either be a good project for you to learn some fabrication technique on something thats not over complex but at the same time if I didn't have the tools and a general idea of exactly how I was going about it I'd pass it on to some of the business members I have seen on here that do this specifically. From what I have seen they do some really good work. I know this is a little long but figured I'd give you my full two cents.

I think it varies by gun with tolerances etc. But I put a bullet guide in my Saiga and both the Tapco and the REAL 35 round steel Galil mags rock in and feed like they were made for the rifle without touching the mags. Even the one I have with the rear top end spread out from use/drops works fine.

I think it varies by gun with tolerances etc. But I put a bullet guide in my Saiga and both the Tapco and the REAL 35 round steel Galil mags rock in and feed like they were made for the rifle without touching the mags. Even the one I have with the rear top end spread out from use/drops works fine.

They feed when you take them to the range too? My Tapco Galils work, but my steel Galils like to jam towards the end of the magazine.

I hear Orlite Galil magazines work better.

• 2 weeks later...

not to steer you away from a saiga but did you see the century arms galils. Thats the route I went in stead of converting my saiga 223. you can pick up a Century Arms Galil for between $450 and $600 just make sure you do your research on them and buy a newer one that has a letter stamped on the under side of the reciever, they had some trouble with some and the letter means its been factory fixed. I can tell you the letter if you go that route I just cant remember right now I will look on mine,or buy a good used one that you know works. Also if you go the saiga route let me know I have a galil dust cover with rear site and some other parts to do it also