Saiga 223 handguards

I'm looking into buying a Saiga 223 (can't get 7.62 due to ct's laws) as a shtf rifle. I'll move the trigger back to the original ak placement, and new trigger and all the like. But I can't seem to find a good, rugged, reliable handguard. The only thing that looks durable is timbersmith wooden handguard, pistol grip, and stock set, but I would have to install the dinzag lower handguard retainer, and a ak(m?) gastube. Is timbersmith wood furniture any good? if so, how easy is it to install the handguard retainer and gastube?

Also, what are other alternatives to timbersmith for durable handguards?

Sorry to anyone if this has already been asked before. Thanks all.

p.s. will shooting lefty leave me with powder burns and shell casings to the face?

Edited by 1a2b3c4d187

Go to CSS and look at some of their forearms.

http://store.carolin...FLES/Categories

I plan on using either the Surefire or DPH trirail when ever I get around to a rifle conversion.

Here is a couple pics of the surefire on a 5.45. Unfortunately it's not mine I borrowed these from the 5.45 picture thread. (member: SN13)

post-6947-1251563538_thumb.jpg

post-6947-1251563567_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ethan Metcalf

Go to CSS and look at some of their forearms.

http://store.carolin...FLES/Categories

I plan on using either the Surefire or DPH trirail when ever I get around to a rifle conversion.

Here is a couple pics of the surefire on a 5.45. Unfortunately it's not mine I borrowed these from the 5.45 picture thread. (member: SN13)

post-6947-1251563538_thumb.jpg

post-6947-1251563567_thumb.jpg

do you know the name of the forearm in the second picture?

nevermind, i read it over and found the name.. sorry about that

Edited by 1a2b3c4d187

For reference, the UTG MP5 aluminum tri-rail does NOT fit Saigas. I bought one because I had heard that MP5 handguards fit. Well, apparently that's only true of MP5 handguards that are made out of plastic; this one is insufficiently bendy to get around the thicker barrel near the receiver.

Also, the Saiga handguard situation is different from most AKs. It's missing upper and lower handguard retaining brackets and the stock forearm mounts to the front trunnion and a (flimsy) pin that runs through the gas block. Timbersmith isn't an option unless you buy new brackets from Dinzag.

CT resident here. I'm completely blown away by the stupidity of our legislature in that they will allow AK variants in every caliber under the sun, just not 7.62x39. As if a 12ga or a .308 is "safer".

I've got the Midwest Industries rail on my .223 with a magpul AFG and flashlight, sling mount... etc. I am using my .223 as the shtf rifle as well. I am very very pleased with the quality of the midwest rail. I got the AKM version (not the saiga version) and made my own handguard retainer out of an original AK retainer and a shaft collar.

I built my own 5.45x39s (they were alot of fun). I'm waiting to move into my new house to initiate the paperwork for my krink (I have all the parts, I just need the tax stamp and receiver). And, also, I have yet to convert my S12 (most likely a winter project).

I haven't heard any bad press from the timbersmith line of furniture, so my guess is that it's adequate.

To answer your question, we need to know what route you want to go with this rifle. Do you want to tac it out and give it a little more functionality (lights, attachments, optics....etc) or do you want to make it classic looking (wood furniture, iron sights)? K-var has a good collection of military-grade polymer stock sets (all different colors) that count towards 922r compliance in addition to the gastube and retainer you'll need.

A new gastube is not problem at all to install, anyone can do it. It's a part thats meant to be taken off the gun for cleaning. You can typically find them (vented and non-vented) for around 20$. A handguard retainer will be a little pricier, depending on if you buy a bolt on solution, make your own (theres a way to modify an original AK retainer so it slips on and clamps in place) or you find someone with a press and they press off your front sight and gas block to put a real retainer on (provided that your saiga has the notches cut out for it on your barrel). Honestly, you're best bet is probably to buy Dinzag's bolt-on handguard retainer. I have had only great experiences when dealing with Dinzag, I got some of his parts when I did my .223 conversion.

I had the same problem with trying to find a HG I liked.I went with rhineland arms.The HG I got is made of walnut.It is the same length of the factory Saiga HG,which I like,and it comes unfinished so you have to stain it,oil it,whatever you want to do.

The HG is built like a tank and is well made.It is heavier than the factory one but does not get overly hot when shooting rapid fire like the factory one.It doesn't use the factory mounting pin instead it uses a threaded piece of steel shaped like a C over the barrel and 2 allen screws inserted from the bottom through the HG.The rear of the HG that goes into the receiver does not extend back far enough to cover the screw hole.Not a big deal,once you get it mounted it doesn't move.

I did reshape the front of the HG.It comes with a straight cut which looks odd to me so I made an angle cut to it.Here are some pics before and after pics so you can get an ides of what I'm talking about.

Before:PICT0040.JPG

After:PICT0041.JPG

PICT0035.JPG

PICT0036.JPG

PICT0039.JPG

Hope this helps!

Edited by tripletdadOH

the tapco is much better than i expected. the heat shield doesn't look like much but it really works. i fired a few mags fairly rapid to test out my red dot holding up to the heat on the ultimak. the red dot and rail were very hot, almost too hot to touch, but the intrafuse was a little warm but even without gloves was not a bother at all.

I'm looking into buying a Saiga 223 (can't get 7.62 due to ct's laws) as a shtf rifle. I'll move the trigger back to the original ak placement, and new trigger and all the like. But I can't seem to find a good, rugged, reliable handguard. The only thing that looks durable is timbersmith wooden handguard, pistol grip, and stock set, but I would have to install the dinzag lower handguard retainer, and a ak(m?) gastube. Is timbersmith wood furniture any good? if so, how easy is it to install the handguard retainer and gastube?

Also, what are other alternatives to timbersmith for durable handguards?

Sorry to anyone if this has already been asked before. Thanks all.

p.s. will shooting lefty leave me with powder burns and shell casings to the face?

I have an Intrafuse on my rife. I saw it on Mulletmans, I find it comfortable, it was easy to install, and it doesn't heat up that bad. In my opinion, it is a pretty good unit.

P.S. Hexus535 -- I like your avatar.

Edited by THX1138

the tapco is much better than i expected. the heat shield doesn't look like much but it really works. i fired a few mags fairly rapid to test out my red dot holding up to the heat on the ultimak. the red dot and rail were very hot, almost too hot to touch, but the intrafuse was a little warm but even without gloves was not a bother at all.

That is a combination I have considered. So the Ultimak and Intrafuse play nice together? No mods?