Question from a soon to be 5.45 owner

Hey guys! I was researching which mags I'd like then ran across some well priced Polish steel and polymer ones. That's when I realized that I don't remember seeing any 5.45s with steel mags. Is there a reason that I should stay away from them?

If so, would Polish polymer mags be fine?

Hey guys! I was researching which mags I'd like then ran across some well priced Polish steel and polymer ones. That's when I realized that I don't remember seeing any 5.45s with steel mags. Is there a reason that I should stay away from them?

No, they are great mags. However, I prefer the brand-new, lighter-weight Circle 10s.

I like my 5.45 metal mag, but only have one, I have multiple polymer mags bulgarian waffle is what I look for, but I only found the 45 round version so its the flat sided bulgarians and german bakalite that I have the most of. Stay away from pro mag and you should be fine

I buy military surplus first. If there was a new production mag and a surplus mag (assuming good condition) and +/- a few dollars difference o go with the surplus.

The problem with surplus is that you don't know how used and thus close to failure the spring is in the mag. I did have one 5.45 surplus mag fail multiple times at the range. Since I'm obsessed with reliability - not wanting my rifle to fail when I need it to save my life - I now only buy new production milspec mags.

Edited by Jim Digriz

I buy military surplus first. If there was a new production mag and a surplus mag (assuming good condition) and +/- a few dollars difference o go with the surplus.

The problem with surplus is that you don't know how used and thus close to failure the spring is in the mag. I did have one 5.45 surplus mag fail multiple times at the range. Since I'm obsessed with reliability - not wanting my rifle to fail when I need it to save my life - I now only buy new production milspec mags.

I remember getting a few dozen steel Romanian RPK surplus 40 round 7.62x39 mags from IO when they ran a sale for $9 a piece some years back. The mags arrive and after cleaning and putting them back together I test a few out. Half of them had worn out springs and would not feed properly. I bought new east german replacement springs close to $5 a spring for all of the mags.

The cheapest I seen any mag springs lately is $22.49 for 3 at midway. I would agree that buying new production mags should ensure that they work and with 5.45 I am not even sure that those mag springs are available anywhere unless they use the same AKM mag springs.

If so, would Polish polymer mags be fine?

Personally, I don't use 30rd mags much at all. I have a few polymer circle 10 mags that work great, but they sit unused and I really only keep them for backup. The only mags I use regularly are 45rd RPK mags.. I have six now, and am looking to get 4 more.

FWIW, my 30rd mags would FTF the last round of the magazine in my Saiga before I installed a bullet guide. The RPK mags worked 100% even without the bullet guide.

I only ever had one problem with a surplus 7.62 mag but that was because it had a huge dent in the middle preventing the follower to go any further. However if it was loaded to just above the dent it worked fine. I've had more problems with new mags then any surplus I've ever had. Luck of the draw I guess.

P.S

Imo if the online price is to good to be true ($9 a mag special) then Im a bit skeptical. Maybe they are trying to unload questionable quality merchandise. If I can't see it with my own eyes ill spend a little more on a mag I can see.

I only ever had one problem with a surplus 7.62 mag but that was because it had a huge dent in the middle preventing the follower to go any further. However if it was loaded to just above the dent it worked fine. I've had more problems with new mags then any surplus I've ever had. Luck of the draw I guess.

P.S

Imo if the online price is to good to be true ($9 a mag special) then Im a bit skeptical. Maybe they are trying to unload questionable quality merchandise. If I can't see it with my own eyes ill spend a little more on a mag I can see.

I have got several unissued 30 rounders at that time for $8 from the same company and they were perfect. My biggest surprises were mags I bought from JoeKen firearms known for questionable deals. Bulgarian circle 10 30 round mags for $8 a piece and some mislabeled unissued steel Russian mags with the arrow symbol for about $8 or $9 each. I'm still in shock over these. I got 10 of these.

2hxlr8l.jpg

24n1i7c.jpg

Edited by my762buzz

I've ordered (and still am ordering some things) accessories for it and want to run them by u guys to see if i should reconsider my product choice, left something out, etc.

*Eotech 512 (I could get the 517 for $25 more but heard that it would sit too high. Opinions?)

*DPH Beryl Mount

*TimberSmith Unfinished Wood Furniture

*Polish Polymer Magazines

*Trigger & Guard from CSS

*ANDDD a crate of ammo :super:

I have $220 left in my budget to spend or to put toward a Saiga 12 or ammo 4 my other calibers that I'm running low on...I'd prefer to complete this 5.45 project though so let me know if I'm missing anything.

Thanks!

Edited by King Cash

Good choice on the polymers. I've got two Polish steelies. My biggest gripe with them is that if you insert the feed-lip of the mag too far into the mag well, the wrong portion of the mag catches, and the mag won't lock into position. You've got to be very careful at what angle you insert the mag. That would be a nightmare during fast mag changes. My polymers just rock right in no matter what angle you put them in at. All my polymers are Izhmash plums and circle-21s, but I'm sure the Polish polys are the same. Other than that, the Polish steelies feed/function fine.

Edited by W8lifter

I have $220 left in my budget to spend or to put toward a Saiga 12 or ammo 4 my other calibers that I'm running low on...I'd prefer to complete this 5.45 project though so let me know if I'm missing anything.

Thanks!

You really want a few 45rd mags.

• Like 1