Newbie, first Saiga, saying hello

Hello all,

I have been lurking around for a little while and now I have just received my first Saiga 12 IZ107 (hopefully not my last). It seems as though there is a wealth of knowledge and information available on this site. I look forward to all of your input and assistance (after I use the search function of course). I can already see that this is going to be an addiction. I'm still not sold on this long barrel, but it was the only length available when I ordered it. I already have a list a mile long of the conversion parts and customization I want to do to her.

Here she is, in all her glory (right out of the box):

saiga12.jpg

And with a little "dressing up":

receiverleft.jpg

receiverright.jpg

And with a couple friends:

trio.jpg

Welcome, just read,read,read ...... most common topics have been posted numerous times. I came here knowing nothing about AK's and have done 2 conversions myself since then. Although these damn Saigas are going to put me in the poor house, I enjoy mine. :rolleyes:

Thanks! The lettering was easy, only took a few minutes. I have thought about cutting the barrel down and rethreading it, but from what I have read I may have to have some work done on the gas ports to make it cycle and function correctly. Still not sure, but I may just leave it as-is and just get another one with the 19" barrel.

Thanks! The lettering was easy, only took a few minutes. I have thought about cutting the barrel down and rethreading it, but from what I have read I may have to have some work done on the gas ports to make it cycle and function correctly. Still not sure, but I may just leave it as-is and just get another one with the 19" barrel.

That what happen to me. All you have to do is add a third gas port if you cut down the barrel. I had a my 24in cut down to 18in and added a gas port. Fires and cycles smoothly. How did you do the lettering? I thought about doing the same also.

Lettering was done with a crayola crayon and a shop rag. Fill in the recesses, wipe excess away with rag, done :) I have been told that tire crayons from the auto parts store work as well as some grease pencils.

Edited by StaticChaos

This would be wise. You will like the 24" barrel should you ever decide to shoot birds.... clay or carbon based ;)