AK mags vs. Saiga mags

have been thinking of maybe modifying the rifle to accept regular AK mags.

now here's the 20 buck question...

what benefits are there using a regular AK mag vs a Saiga proprietary mag?

I know that AK mags are cheap and abundant, but what the other pros and cons? is it more of a personal choice, or are there really some uber differences between the two?

Hi Red Star.

I currently have a 7.62 Saiga rifle that hasn't had the mag catch modded yet, though I will be soon. For ME, it's a matter of convenience to be able to use the same mags as my Draco, Poly Tech and SKS sporter that uses them. I like the Circle 10 Bulgarian mags myself. The inexpensive metal mags are ok too, just heavy.

Saiga specific factory (Izhmash) mags are good to go, accept for the limited capacity.

AK polymer surplus mags (Bulgarian, Izhmash, Tula), have robust steel reinforcement throughout.

AK commercial and Saiga US made polymer mags (Tapco for ex.) dont have the kind of steel reinforcement that the surplus mags do.

Edit; There has been many stories about Saiga proprietary mags by Tapco and ProMag, of the Saiga specific built in feed ramp breaking off.

US mags give compliance parts.

Surplus mags give peace of mind.

I like to be peaceful and get my compliance parts count up in other areas.

Edited by Mullet Man

Every reason given above, plus the bullet guide pays for itself with the purchase of your first two surplus mags as factory Saiga mags and Surefire mags are generally more expensive. Tapco mags can be found cheap at times, I don't have a real problem with them, but I haven't really put them to hard use either. Promags are on my least desireable list, as my experience has been hit or miss with them on Saiga's. I have had more problems with Promags than any other brand of mag that I have used in my Saiga rifles thus far (loose fit and only jams/misfeeds experienced have been with Promags). Your mileage may vary though..

Edited by TJohn

Purely a cost of mag issue, as far as I can tell! Saiga mags are pricey and limit to 10 rounds, promags I understand are hit and miss for quality.

Not much difference other than that. For most folks I think they want to be able to use the Ak mag they already have in a Saiga without having different mags for different guns.

I purchased a 10 rd Tapco Mag, that was said to fit my Saiga 7.62X39.. It wont lock in due to a little excess locking lip that doesnt allow the mag to set all the way in and lock. If I files the Mag locking tab at the bottom to allow it go set all the way in.Will it cause the tab to eventually break off?? Thanks.

The answer to your question is another question.

Would you rather mod your gun ($20) to accept ordinary easy to find AK mags (~$10) or would you rather pay $35 for hard to find aftermarket hi-cap Saiga mags?

If you are looking to get more than couple mags, then the answer is simple.

The answer to your question is another question.

Would you rather mod your gun ($20) to accept ordinary easy to find AK mags (~$10) or would you rather pay $35 for hard to find aftermarket hi-cap Saiga mags?

If you are looking to get more than couple mags, then the answer is simple.

the only thing im not too sure about is the bullet guide conversion... drilling holes and tapping them is not my strong point. especially holes in the receiver/trunion (i forget where it gets mounted, but yah...)

now here's a question...

I've been looking over the boards and the answers are quite nebulous.

If i were to indeed add the bullet guide to make my saiga accept regular AK mags, would i lose the option of using saiga specific mags?

any of you guys that have done the bullet guide conversion, your answers would be quite helpful in this regard :)

Thanks again!

You would have to mod the saiga mag to get a good fit, but I think I have read some people don't have to. It would be a quick job with a dremel, just have to grind off the lip that acts as the bullet guide. Drilling and tapping isn't hard, I did it and I've never drilled metal in my life. I did my conversion over a few days taking on a few steps at a time after work, patience is the key. It's worth it in the end

• Like 1

Bullet guide is a cheap and easy fix and well worth it. It really is quite easy.

In regard to mags, my Saiga mags fit my converted rifle with no mods. I can switch back and forth between them and AK mags.

Also, be aware that you can add capacity to factory 10 round mags by cutting an inch off the follower legs. This will give you 14 rounds. Second, you can also do the same thing to 5 round AK mags to get 10 rounds into them. That makes them a nice compact 10 round mag over the factory mag.

I actually added the bullet guide so I could use 5 round AK mags for hunting.