First time out with the 1919...

2011-08-10_22-38-10_818.jpg

I just ran it for the first time last night and fed it 90 rounds (see pic above)...

Started with 2 3/4" 00 full power winchester for 40 rounds, then moved on to #7 1/2 birdshot 1200fps for 15 rounds, then #6 birdshot for 25 rounds. Everything fed fine. Then, just for the heck of it I put i some Hornady LOW RECOIL 00 buck 2 3/4" 1100 fps totally expecting it NOT to work given that I don't have a Tromix bushing...but 10 rounds went right through without any issues at all !!! I was completely surprised at that one. I ordered a whole mess of different low recoil birdshot and buckshot loads to try out next time.

Just in case anyone was wondering, prior to shooting, I completely broke it down, cleaned, soaked in CLP for an hour, reassembled and hand cycled the action and trigger 300 times prior to shooting.

None of this testing was rapidfire as it was not allowed at the range. I am going to try to rapid fire some loads in another couple of weeks and will report back.

The only few minor complaints that I have are:

1) the magazine stopped dropping free after a while... may have to clean or fine tune that a bit.

2) the charging handle needs to be replaced... it's small and not that comfortable

3) my shoulder sure is sore now... lol.

I went shooting with 3 friends with modded S12's. They al complained that the recoil was significantly more than the S12... which is to be expected given that their tacticool'ed S12s were significantly heavier. They were all amazed at how light the 1919 is. They all were impressed at the speed of the mag changes. The more stubborn ones of the group couldn't admit that out of the box, the 1919 has superior features for less money... I think that was mostly a function of the fact that they had spent a ton of $$ modding their S12's just two months ago... lol. They all complained about the lack of high cap mags and drums, which we all know will change shortly. All of them also failed to acknowledge the fact that none of their S12's ran right out of the box without having to change out springs or clean out "vodka special" gas ports... unlike my 1919. :)

I was able to attach my Sig red dot onto the non picatinany spec rail, but it sat a ittle low, so I'm going to try a riser like others have done.

I am totally impressed with this thing so far! After another few hundred rounds then it'll be time to buy another for a SBS mod! I'm going to start using this on 3 gun night at our local club. I see nothing but upside and huge potential for the 1919 in the competition world. I have no doubt that it will be giving the S12 guys a run for their money assuming they are consistently reliable.

The reason the mag is not dropping free is because the follower is riding up high enough to jam the BHO button.

You will see a square hole in the back of the magazine where the BHO button pops through. File that square window upward a bit and that will solve your problem with the mag not dropping free.

Tony Rumore

Tromix

• Like 3

The reason the mag is not dropping free is because the follower is riding up high enough to jam the BHO button.

You will see a square hole in the back of the magazine where the BHO button pops through. File that square window upward a bit and that will solve your problem with the mag not dropping free.

Tony Rumore

Tromix

This man is a God-send i swear

Tony Rumore

Tromix

DING DING!!!! I had the same issue with the 3" mag. Filed it like you mentioned and now its fine.

2011-08-10_22-38-10_818.jpg

I just ran it for the first time last night and fed it 90 rounds (see pic above)...

Started with 2 3/4" 00 full power winchester for 40 rounds, then moved on to #7 1/2 birdshot 1200fps for 15 rounds, then #6 birdshot for 25 rounds. Everything fed fine. Then, just for the heck of it I put i some Hornady LOW RECOIL 00 buck 2 3/4" 1100 fps totally expecting it NOT to work given that I don't have a Tromix bushing...but 10 rounds went right through without any issues at all !!! I was completely surprised at that one. I ordered a whole mess of different low recoil birdshot and buckshot loads to try out next time.

Just in case anyone was wondering, prior to shooting, I completely broke it down, cleaned, soaked in CLP for an hour, reassembled and hand cycled the action and trigger 300 times prior to shooting.

None of this testing was rapidfire as it was not allowed at the range. I am going to try to rapid fire some loads in another couple of weeks and will report back.

The only few minor complaints that I have are:

1) the magazine stopped dropping free after a while... may have to clean or fine tune that a bit.

2) the charging handle needs to be replaced... it's small and not that comfortable

3) my shoulder sure is sore now... lol.

I went shooting with 3 friends with modded S12's. They al complained that the recoil was significantly more than the S12... which is to be expected given that their tacticool'ed S12s were significantly heavier. They were all amazed at how light the 1919 is. They all were impressed at the speed of the mag changes. The more stubborn ones of the group couldn't admit that out of the box, the 1919 has superior features for less money... I think that was mostly a function of the fact that they had spent a ton of $$ modding their S12's just two months ago... lol. They all complained about the lack of high cap mags and drums, which we all know will change shortly. All of them also failed to acknowledge the fact that none of their S12's ran right out of the box without having to change out springs or clean out "vodka special" gas ports... unlike my 1919. :)

I was able to attach my Sig red dot onto the non picatinany spec rail, but it sat a ittle low, so I'm going to try a riser like others have done.

I am totally impressed with this thing so far! After another few hundred rounds then it'll be time to buy another for a SBS mod! I'm going to start using this on 3 gun night at our local club. I see nothing but upside and huge potential for the 1919 in the competition world. I have no doubt that it will be giving the S12 guys a run for their money assuming they are consistently reliable.

did you use clp cleaner or lubicant when you soaked it?

• 3 weeks later...

i have no interest in the company, but i found something that kicks the crap out of CLP. I used clp since I was 17 in the infantry. It's good stuff. Now, I use RoyalPurple Maxfilm in the spray can. It cleans well and leaves a nice film on the metal that holds up to lots of abuse. I clean new components, then wipe them with 90% alcohol to get any left overs off.... Then I spray it with the maxfilm. I let it season for a day or so then wipe it clean.

It penetrates better for cleaning. It lubricates better in cold conditions. It collects less moon dust than the clp since you wipe if off to dry.

i have no interest in the company, but i found something that kicks the crap out of CLP. I used clp since I was 17 in the infantry. It's good stuff. Now, I use RoyalPurple Maxfilm in the spray can. It cleans well and leaves a nice film on the metal that holds up to lots of abuse. I clean new components, then wipe them with 90% alcohol to get any left overs off.... Then I spray it with the maxfilm. I let it season for a day or so then wipe it clean.

It penetrates better for cleaning. It lubricates better in cold conditions. It collects less moon dust than the clp since you wipe if off to dry.

We buy that stuff by the case at work. Its OK but I will stay with Break Free.