For those of you with vertical charging handles..

Regarding the open gap with a left side charging handle, what about something like this on a SigSwat to keep out objects. (not the best pic)

What I am talking about is the rubber used on the slot the handle passes through. I just thought that maybe something similar could be used for a LSCH slot. I don't know, seems like it might work to keep stuff out.

Pauly, where do you think the most comfortable place to mount the VCH is? I see Tromix puts it very close to the carrier. It seems like more towards the middle of the finger groove in the handle may provide a better grip and more comfortable charging.

you would be correct if you run pistol sights.

However Tromix guns are designed to be the premier combat shotgun & they've succeeded IMHO.

A tromix build is set up for speed.

when charging a Tromix, you slap your hand on the top of the gun & just slide it over the top using the gun as a rail to guide your hand & you slap that low close knob.

There's no [pistol sights, tromix runs Tony's H&K style sights & the dovetail mount is shaved off.

The intended build should dictate the mount, that's why I've been asking so many detailed questions about how the gun's to be run & with which accessories, so I can make the best handle for each customer's needs & intentions.

Regarding the open gap with a left side charging handle, what about something like this on a SigSwat to keep out objects. (not the best pic)

What I am talking about is the rubber used on the slot the handle passes through. I just thought that maybe something similar could be used for a LSCH slot. I don't know, seems like it might work to keep stuff out.

Oh, I didn't notice that was rubber.

Maybe it'd work.

I'd have to look into that.

rails with horsehair brush running down top & bottom with the handle running down the middle of them would likely work too, but I've not really looked into that.

Hey King..

Prior to getting to your post I was thinking the same thing....lol

Ths Sig 556 has a ruber slot for the charging handle to go back and forth.

Edited by RLTW

As I mentioned earlier, I'm a lefty, so I'm charging the carrier with my right hand. So the VCH being close to the carrier really isn't ideal for me, I believe.

Exactly, so you'd benefit more from the slanted handle like that 1-off or one more akin to the RedJacket style of mount.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm a lefty, so I'm charging the carrier with my right hand. So the VCH being close to the carrier really isn't ideal for me, I believe.

Just dont miss the handle and smack yourself in the face. :lolol:

Edited by Rangerguy

I definitely know I want the VCH angled forward slightly like 1911's is. I'm just not sure if I want it angled out laterally or not.

You want the standard mount, slightly canted forward & spaced out a bit more than the tromix, but not as much as the RedJacket.

Like this one, but just a little shorter & a little bit closer than this one pictured. He's running a quad, so his is a bit taller than the standard, but not quite out as far as Ericinmaryland's that's accommodating huge optics is;

I just received my BCG, and FCG back from Pauly and all I can say is WOW! These parts are so much better in person; my pictures don't even do them justice. It's really hard to take pictures of a mirror finish. I didn't want to bust out all the soft boxes, backdrop, tripod so these pictures will have to do…

I have a comparison of the custom BCG next to an original unmodified S12 BCG. The precision work is unlike no other. I thought about modifying my other S12 internals myself but after I got this back I'm thinking the price vs. quality it's worth just sending them to Pauly.

I just installed my custom parts into my S12 and I have to say it's a completely different shotgun. I'll post pictures later. The action is so smooth, unlike before where it kind a felt like crushing a soda can when charging it. The carrier used to get hung up and you would have to assist it closed. All that's GONE now! The trigger is an easy crisp pull, so different than before it's definitely the best trigger group I have in a shotgun. I can load a mag on a closed bolt.

I'm so happy! All I can say is Pauly's work is worth every penny. The quality of craftsmanship and detailing is absolutely amazing. All the way to the little cuts he put in the top of the Pauly piston charging handle. The carrier jeweling is beautiful, the bottom is profiled down and it feels so slick and smooth it. The charging handle slightly leans outward so you can mount optics w/o interference. There's only one thing left to do and that's to take this girl for a test drive…:killer:

Looks like the wife's sleeping on the couch tonight!!! :smoke:

S12-Group.jpg?t=1311882742S12-Both-Front.jpg?t=1311882946S12-both-bot.jpg?t=1311882984S12-Both-back.jpg?t=1311883008S12-Both-1.jpg?t=1311883257S12-One-FR.jpg?t=1311883303S12-One-Bot.jpg?t=1311883423S12-bolt.jpg?t=1311883462S12-one.jpg?t=1311883489S12-charge.jpg?t=1311883552

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/69229-just-got-my-parts-back-from-pauly-wow/

That's exactly what I want Pauly, I think you nailed it.

You know I think I actually like your handle better than the Tromix, but one thing I think you could really improve upon on your handle is by adding knurling to the top rings.

The Tromix Galil looks awesome for Tromix's angular motif.

It's clean lines accentuate everything else about the style of build.

index-5.jpg

Pauly's piston has what i would refer to as a clean 1920's art-deco flavor to it.

They're just different tastes.

However, I can knurl the rings if anybody desires. :)

Knurling is done on my lathe, so if the handle's already installed on a carrier it's too late, but if I know before hand I can do it.

Nobody's ever asked yet though.

I'm left handed, so the right sided charging handle configuration is a thing of beauty for me :smoke:

If you're a lefty, (freak :D ), I don't see any advantage to a vert charging handle for you. Those are really only useful for righties who don't want to reach quite as far over the gun to charge it, (with the left hand).

I'm left handed, so the right sided charging handle configuration is a thing of beauty for me :smoke:

If you're a lefty, (freak :D ), I don't see any advantage to a vert charging handle for you. Those are really only useful for righties who don't want to reach quite as far over the gun to charge it, (with the left hand).

It looks cool, and I do think it's functional to some degree - charging with a large portion of the hand versus a single finger. Granted, I have no issues whatsoever charging with the factory configuration, but essentially the VCH is just something I want.

I would not use a non-factory vertical charging handle on a weapon Kalashnikov that I intend to use to defend myself or family. JMO

Could I ask why?

Sure, but as long as I want to be continue being a member here I can't discuss it :unsure: Please understand.

lol, not to be a dick, but unless I'm missing something obvious I simply don't understand what you are getting at.

A vertical charging handle would, in fact, change nothing about the guns self defense characteristics, and wouldn't, IMO, be more prone to prosecutor scrutiny in case the state brought charges against you if you used it.

I'm not trying to bash you opinion, I'm more interested knowing if I'm missing some legit reason as to why a vertical charging handle wouldn't be a good idea. Especially since I want Paully to do mine. :)

I think you may have misunderstood. You should have the work done. Most of us will never actually need our S12 for defense, so it really doesn't matter if we have a functional charging handle. My opinion is based on pure speculation and I have no 'first hand' experience with the aforementioned subject. Sorry about the confusion.... ;)

Edited by evlblkwpnz

Reading some of the responses to this thread made me think about offering another style.

But I need a model for advertising pictures....

So check this out. :)

I'm going to offer this angle & mount, slightly canted to the front & outward, except with a lightened Pauly's Piston VCH as the handle.

The rings of the Pauly's Piston VCH will be professionally knurled on this one. :)

This will work on any Saiga, AK, PSL, Vepr or Draco.

ballVCH001.jpg

NailbombCH.jpg

The fee will be... FREE! for the first person who claims it on this thread & purchases GlassBolt or IceRack at current price.

The fee for all after will be the same as Pauly's Piston VCH, 119.99

The joint will be extremely stout like the round headed CH pictured above & of course fully warrantied just like everything else from Pauly's Steelin Custom Fabrication.

Finish can be Matte steel, Black or IceRack.

First to claim gets it!

Nice informercial.

By the time the DOD was done with the M3 "Grease Gun" the charging handle had been deleted, and a hole made in the bolt to cock it with your finger, I guess that would solve a lot of problems, too bad we can't do the same with the S12.

Yeah, as for the left side, I was thinking an FAL type system, mounted to the top cover, to fab a non recip left side handle. You even had the cocking components ready made to begin with.

Awesome! thanks dude.

No problem.

BTW, that gash in your carrier that you were worried about is fixed already.

You can't even tell it was ever there. :super:

Good to hear that can't wait to get it back and try out the .308 with some new optics.

• Like 1

Hey that rig looks really familiar ;)

Love it btw, I'll make sure to get some pics up when I get the 550 cord around it

Reading some of the responses to this thread made me think about offering another style.

But I need a model for advertising pictures....

So check this out. :)

I'm going to offer this angle & mount, slightly canted to the front & outward, except with a lightened Pauly's Piston VCH as the handle.

The rings of the Pauly's Piston VCH will be professionally knurled on this one. :)

This will work on any Saiga, AK, PSL, Vepr or Draco.

ballVCH001.jpg

NailbombCH.jpg

The fee will be... FREE! for the first person who claims it on this thread & purchases GlassBolt or IceRack at current price.

The fee for all after will be the same as Pauly's Piston VCH, 119.99

The joint will be extremely stout like the round headed CH pictured above & of course fully warrantied just like everything else from Pauly's Steelin Custom Fabrication.

Finish can be Matte steel, Black or IceRack.

First to claim gets it!

It's not super advantages, but it does offer a larger target to swing at if you needed to cycle the gun quickly. As well as letting you come from a more natural angle rather having to hook it with your fingers or bring your palm back vertically (did that make sense? I'm drinkin tonight sorry lol). Also gives you something less pointy. Plus if you have a pretty lady who's right handed it serves like those arrow shaped sticky notes that says "hey, pull this" :)

Man Pauly, those sure are some pretty bolt carriers.

Personally, I've done more vertical charging handles than left side ones. The left side ones do need the rail removed, or you'll rape your hand on it racking the bolt. Also, I put the vertical ones up tight to the carrier, and only sticking up about 3/4" above the dust cover. The higher it goes, and the further out it is, the thicker and heavier it must be to be durable. I do knurl mine, unless the customer wants it smooth. I haven't seen any difference in reliability from the weight, although I make them pretty light.

As for the closed side left handle, that is an FAL handle mounted to the receiver. The scope rail must be removed to make room for its track. As I'm not going to destroy a receiver to get the track, they are custom made. They take a whole day of fitting to get right, because of the welding, and how imperfect the receivers are to begin with.

Anyway, here's a couple of pics:

post-9711-0-94712100-1313451228_thumb.jpg

post-9711-0-56371400-1313451251_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Well, that one took 3 days to fit. The second one I did took 1 day. That's not counting the time to do the cover mods and other receiver mods to clear it and make it all work, just the part of getting the track on and the handle moving in it smoothly.