Besides the mag fed part and caliber is there any real difference between the 2?

Im just curious cause I saw a website of a gunsmith who will take your Garand and make it mag fed. He installs a 308 barrel, makes the receiver able to accept mags and something with the gas chamber. Don't get me wrong I have no problems with that and from what I've read he's a very good smith but seems to me you can just buy a M1 and have the same thing since its no longer even a 30/06.

• Like 1

The M-14 was an evolution of the Garand and they are nearly identical in gas systems as a result. The M-14 was a change to magazine fed and caliber as you say. There are several versions of Garand .308 conversions out there, but are mostly rebarrels and sill use the top loaded enbloc clips. I've never heard of a Garand modified for mag feed AND .308. Sounds interesting, but be aware you may get hate mail from Garand "purists."

The M1 Garand was 30-06 (original powder load), 8 round enbloc, and the gas system was near the end of the barrel. Wooden handguards all around.

The M14 was from the new .308 cartridge, designed to be same power as the original 30-06, box mag fed, gas system about 2/3 of the way down the barrel,

plastic upper hand guard, and select fire full auto capability.

The M1A is a civilian version of the M14, and does all it does, except the full auto. However, most current M14s in the military, as a designated marksman role,

only shoot semi auto, from what I hear.

The Garand cannot shoot modern 30-06 safely (for it) without a gas plug replacement to let some of the extra pressure from the modern, higher loadings

out of it. The Garand has a longer op rod than the M14, and is heavier. The enbloc clips are historically neat, and the Garand is a great rifle to have,

shoot, and admire. The M1A from Springfield, and others from Fulton Armory, are awesome weapons, and look like a semi auto hunting rifle (not

really like a black rifle) until you lock in the 20 round mag, then you get the All American Badass Look.

In this man's opinion, everyone should have a CMP Garand, and a Springfield Armory M1A.

• Like 1

I have no input on the difference of the two weapon systems, BUT my friend has a mini 14 and the iron sights in are dead on at 100+ meters. I love shooting it, the owner gets mad because I hit the steel gong with it every time I fire it. :super:

Edited by fromxtor

honestly, if i wanted a 308 garand, id buy an m1a. to me, its not a garand if its converted to an m14. i think the stripper clips and 30-06 are part of what make the garand unique. id rather have the m1a. but thats just me.

• Like 1

I seem to recall a shortened version of the M1 Garand, called the Tanker's M1. It had a shortened barrel and gas-fixture, was chambered for .308, but used the 8 shot clip feed--not a box Mag. A bunch of these appeared on the surplus market about the time the M-14 was in it's early "issue to the troops" period (early 1960's).

One of you gunner's who don't suffer from C R S syndrome step in here please and either correct my mistaken identity or tell me I did actually see those guns in my distant past.

M1E5 - M1 Garand variant; 18-inch barrel and folding stock, for Airborne and Tank crewman use.

Not in .308 though, can't find anything about a .308 being issued.

I sure would have been pissed though if I was in the Airborne and was issued an M1 Carbine instead of a Garand in WWII

I've seen "tanker" Garands in .308. I've also seen full sized .308 conversions, but all of them still were top-stuffed with the enblocs. I also recall seeing ads decades ago for a chamber insert that converted a Garand to .308 but I doubt that worked out so well and I have never seen one since. I have a National Match Garand and three M1As. I wouldn't ever "butcher" a Garand into an M1A clone, because there are M1As readily available and the Garands are getting getting harder to find and need to be preserved.

Edited by blkgunlvr

Im not planning on buying either (maybe m1 later) was just curious since I just assumed someone would buy a m1 if they wanted a mag fed rifle. However the price for conversion is cheaper then buying one so if I had a garand but wanted a mag but didn't want to pay over a G id do the conversion in a heart beat. Garands don't have that much significance to me

Im not planning on buying either (maybe m1 later) was just curious since I just assumed someone would buy a m1 if they wanted a mag fed rifle. However the price for conversion is cheaper then buying one so if I had a garand but wanted a mag but didn't want to pay over a G id do the conversion in a heart beat. Garands don't have that much significance to me

My uncle's Garande lobs modern 30.06 rounds with ease. For my money, I would take 8 rounds of 7.62 x 63 over 20 rounds of 7.62 x 51 any day. Now if a gun smith could mod a Garande to take 300 mag=7.62 x 71 I would be all in!

Great topic, Arik.

I sure would have been pissed though if I was in the Airborne and was issued an M1 Carbine instead of a Garand in WWII

id rather have a thompson.

anyone come across the sniper models of the garands for sale? if originals, id say they bring a hefty price. specially since there was very few made.

Don't forget the BM59. I think it was an Italian Garand conversion that used Mags and 7.62.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mitragliatrice_fucile_FAL_BM_59.jpg

Thanks Russ

The BM59 was a Garand in 7.62x51 which used 20 round magazines. I don't know if the magazine was compatible with the M-14 magazine. It was a good rifle based on a reliable design made by Beretta who is a top notch gun maker.

Imagine if the Garand would have used a magazine like the SKS which was top fed instead of the in bloc clip or if the rifle would have been converted to use the BAR magazine during the war for a new version.

Edited by uzitiger

Don't forget the BM59. I think it was an Italian Garand conversion that used Mags and 7.62.

http://en.wikipedia....e_FAL_BM_59.jpg

Thanks Russ

The BM59 was a Garand in 7.62x51 which used 20 round magazines. I don't know if the magazine was compatible with the M-14 magazine. It was a good rifle based on a reliable design made by Beretta who is a top notch gun maker.

Imagine if the Garand would have used a magazine like the SKS which was top fed instead of the in bloc clip or if the rifle would have been converted to use the BAR magazine during the war for a new version.

Believe it or not, towards the end of WWII, the Japanese actually made a copy of the Garand that used a fixed box magazine and fired the 7.7jap top fed with stripper clips.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_5_Rifle

Edited by CJS3
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

id rather have a thompson.

anyone come across the sniper models of the garands for sale? if originals, id say they bring a hefty price. specially since there was very few made.

CMP has them for sale last I looked a couple weeks ago. Price was about $1500 or so if I remember right.

http://en.wikipedia....e_FAL_BM_59.jpg

Thanks Russ

Believe it or not, towards the end of WWII, the Japanese actually made a copy of the Garand that used a fixed box magazine and fired the 7.7jap top fed with stripper clips.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Type_5_Rifle

you wouldnt happen to have a pic of one? i have been looking forever for a type 4/5 pic.

The gas systems of the two rifles are different. The M1 uses a long type gas system while the M14 has a short stroke separate piston and op rod. Not much difference in operation but the M14 is more like an M1 Carbine.

One thing about the M1 is that as long as you have ammo in clips you can keep firing. With detachable mags you have to stop and reload them at some point. The M14 can be loaded with strippers from the top but its a slow process.

I read somewhere that Garand wanted to make the rifle with a 20 round mag but the Army rejected the idea because the rifle would be hard to drill with. Sounds like the same guys who thought muzzle loaders were better than cartridge guns because the men would waste ammo.