Time to end the caliber argument

the 10mm is funny.

"funny"? Dude, that shit actually happens. :eek:

:D

Seriously though, 10mm Auto is far and away the most powerful, (and accurate), practical semi-auto pistol cartridge.

I specify "practical" because I don't consider the .50 AE to be that. It's a fun, ridiculous caliber, but you could never carry a DE concealed without wearing something like a parka.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

I wish I could get good, reasonably priced ammo to shoot my G29 :wub:

Factory full power 10mm is definitely expensive. This is the caliber that's finally getting me into reloading. If you roll your own, you can make yourself some nice hot rounds with brand new brass for ~$0.20 apiece.

If demand went up for the caliber, factory ammo prices would come down. :angel:

Try Atlanta Arms and Ammo's reloaded 10mm ammo for $19 and change. 180g @ 1000fps.

I should have mentioned, if I wanted to shoot 180gr @ 1000 fps I'll just pull out my .40

Anything other than full power 10mm is not even worth me getting out the gun, because once you shoot 180 grains @ 1350 nothing else is fun :killer:

I'm going to start rolling my own and I'm thinking 200gr XTP at 1200 and maybe a 135gr JHP at 1600.

Factory full power 10mm is definitely expensive. This is the caliber that's finally getting me into reloading. If you roll your own, you can make yourself some nice hot rounds with brand new brass for ~$0.20 apiece.

I just priced out an obscene amount of rounds to reload and the cheapest I could make it for hot-loads with new brass ~ .37/rd (brass, primer, powder, bullet) and half that for reused brass. This was using midway dealer status and the price is before shipping. Where are you looking at getting your components from?

...Anything other than full power 10mm is not even worth me getting out the gun, because once you shoot 180 grains @ 1350 nothing else is fun :killer:

True enough.

Use these 2 tools:

10mm Chrono Tests

Gun Deals

I haven't ordered anything from them yet, but this company's ammo looks promising: Underwood Ammo.

I'm going to start rolling my own and I'm thinking 200gr XTP at 1200 and maybe a 135gr JHP at 1600.

I just priced out an obscene amount of rounds to reload and the cheapest I could make it for hot-loads with new brass ~ .37/rd (brass, primer, powder, bullet) and half that for reused brass. This was using midway dealer status and the price is before shipping. Where are you looking at getting your components from?

Really? :huh:

I'll get you some specifics. For that price I was using data I've read in "The 10 Ring" on Glock Talk, (great info resource there), and ~$0.37/rnd doesn't make any sense.. way too high.

Montana gold bullets: $140/1000 = .14/rd (very cheap)

Accurate #9 powder: $120/8lbs = .027/rd (using 7000gr/lb and a 12.5gr hot load for a 200gr xtp)

New starline brass: $147/1000 = .147/rd

CCI 300 primers: $159/5000 = .032/rd

or CCI 350 primers: $171/5000 = .034/rd

So either $0.346/rd or $0.348/rd. However the brass can be reused almost indefinitely which drops you into that $.20/rd regime.

I listed both primers because from the data I've read, CCI 350's are more consistent.

Montana gold bullets: $140/1000 = .14/rd (very cheap)

Accurate #9 powder: $120/8lbs = .027/rd (using 7000gr/lb and a 12.5gr hot load for a 200gr xtp)

New starline brass: $147/1000 = .147/rd

CCI 300 primers: $159/5000 = .032/rd

or CCI 350 primers: $171/5000 = .034/rd

So either $0.346/rd or $0.348/rd. However the brass can be reused almost indefinitely which drops you into that $.20/rd regime.

I listed both primers because from the data I've read, CCI 350's are more consistent.

Shit, I dunno, man. :D Your figures might all be accurate. Tomorrow, I'll see what I can dig up to support that ~$0.20/rnd estimate, but atm, I'm a little "impaired".

Btw, Prvi Partisan PPU, (well-named as the powder stinks), 180grn JHP 10mm is fairly cheap at ~$0.36/rnd, with high quality brass and a boxer primer. It only flies at ~1000fps, but it's good practice ammo, still as powerful as .40 S&W if you had to put it to serious use, and the casing can be reloaded many, many times.

If hot shit with new brass is really gonna cost ~$0.36/rnd, for those who don't yet have a press, dies, etc, it might make sense to buy some of this Prvi ammo to break the gun in and get some practice. Recover the brass and reload it hotter.

I can see the use for 10mm for say hunting especially due to the extra power but I would still be a little hesitant to use it in a sd scenario where innocent bystanders were around. That being said after reading wiki, it says that the 10mm auto is still issued to a greenland police department in case they have to deal with polar bears. Fuggin awesome, they gave them the caliber to protect against not only a bear but the most dangerous one of all.

Edited by dashowdy

where's YARP.... he needs to see this..

LOL! Sorry bro, been in the boonies for a couple weeks. I miss it already.

It's true I love 10mm, my reasoning is much different now (some what) compared to what it used to be.

In two legged creatures it matters very little difference at close ranges, a hole is a hole at that point and the more I can put in'em the better. For large animals that are much thicker skinned/boned then us human types it does make a world of difference, down to the point of whether or not it makes it to the vitals (white tail deer do not apply to this, almost every deer I've seen shot with a 10mm had an entry and exit wound). Barrier penetration is better then smaller calibers. I see alot of comments about anemic cartridges, remember full power isn't always better. If you were to suppress your 10mm, that ammo that's running at about 1000fps or a little under would be awesome to have laying around. The beauty of the 10mm really is the ammo selection, the ability to go from light and fast to slow and heavy is nice. Last but not least BULLET DROP! I started to consider the 10mm when the laws in my state allowed you to use a handgun to hunt with straight walled cases .35 caliber or larger. Wanting to get the most out of it as I could I pushed myself to 100m with irons, with a light load it wasn't that difficult. When OST grabbed the red dot pistol and brought it to a whole new level this caliber REALLY started to shine through. 200m body hits seconds after clearing the holster with any grain bullet I use? um, yes please!

For reference the following calibers were a product of the develepoment of the 10mm

-.40 S&W

-.357 SIG (based of the .40 S&W)

-9x25 Dillon

-.224 BOZ (which is what the FN 5.7x28 is based off of)